Texas Hunting Forum

Props to Cabelas

Posted By: syncerus

Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:07 AM

I know that they screw up sometimes and I know they sometimes have the "big box" store mentality, but I've gotten a number of exceptional deals from them over the last few years. Granted I drive by their store twice a day and thus am subject to a little more temptation than I can stand on a daily basis, but even so, they deserve considerable credit for trying to bring us the products and services we want at a reasonable (mostly!) price. I know they aren't saints, but I do believe their hearts are in the right place and that they really are "one of us".

Disclaimer: I'm feeling warm and fuzzy because I just bought an exceptional rifle for a very unexceptional price. smile
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:17 AM

Details man, details..
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:24 AM

A very unexceptional price leads one to believe you over paid, but if you have a warm and fuzzy feeling then it's all good as long as you are happy.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:38 AM

I assure you that no over paying occurred in this case. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

laugh
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 04:01 AM

Watching!
Posted By: JD4030

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
Details man, details..

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:14 PM

worthless
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:18 PM

Hear, hear!
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:22 PM

I'll have a Cabelas gem to post in a couple days as well!!

They are running 10% off firearms instore or online at the moment.
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 03:46 PM

If I lived in a 20 mile radius from a Cabelas, I'd be divorced by now.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 04:01 PM

Every $ I spend (outside of offerings and occasional cash expenditure) is on Cabelas Visa. Doesnt take long to make black card status and rack up Cabelas bucks.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 04:03 PM

Congrats but....

Originally Posted By: BigPig
worthless
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Every $ I spend (outside of offerings and occasional cash expenditure) is on Cabelas Visa. Doesnt take long to make black card status and rack up Cabelas bucks.

I'm there, currently have $155 in award points, hummmmm, what to do, what to do...
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 08:44 PM

Got a text today from cables.
10% off ammo and free shipping.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TheWhiteMexican

It's not easy, I can tell you.

Without wanting to crow too much, I'll just say that I picked up a new Christensen Classic Steel in .30-06 caliber for about the price of a current production standard Model 70 Winchester. Any way that you slice it, it was a smoking deal.

Posted By: booradley

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/17/16 10:45 PM

There are business owners that pay the company bills with their Cabela's Visa. It certainly didn't happen every day but occasionally one of those people came to the store and bought boats using nothing but points. I personally sold many firearms that were purchased with points.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: booradley
There are business owners that pay the company bills with their Cabela's Visa. It certainly didn't happen every day but occasionally one of those people came to the store and bought boats using nothing but points. I personally sold many firearms that were purchased with points.

Yeah i was chatting with a cashier one day and she was asking what I was planning on buying since I have $700ish. She told me she had a customer with $22,000ish in Cabelas Bucks saving up for a boat.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 12:18 AM

what caliber christen? looking forward to seeing if it will shoot

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 12:19 AM

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 01:00 AM

I'm probably going to sanity check the rifle with factory ammo tomorrow. If the results are reasonable, then I'll put together some reloads with Sierra target bullets and watch what happens.
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 01:27 AM

Speaking to using the Cabelas visa -- the rewards program for that card is terrible. You can earn a much higher percentage back using one of the many great cash back cards out there, and you can use cash anywhere. I'm am amazed anyone actually uses the Cabelas visa for anything other than purchases made at Cabelas.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Originally Posted By: TheWhiteMexican

It's not easy, I can tell you.

Without wanting to crow too much, I'll just say that I picked up a new Christensen Classic Steel in .30-06 caliber for about the price of a current production standard Model 70 Winchester. Any way that you slice it, it was a smoking deal.

Steel is so overrated and last year rolleyes

Sweet gun

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 05:12 AM

Never heard of that gun, but it looks damned good and you can't go wrong with a 30/06.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4
Speaking to using the Cabelas visa -- the rewards program for that card is terrible. You can earn a much higher percentage back using one of the many great cash back cards out there, and you can use cash anywhere. I'm am amazed anyone actually uses the Cabelas visa for anything other than purchases made at Cabelas.

Do you know what the percentage is for black card holders?
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 06:40 AM

Originally Posted By: booradley
Originally Posted By: TTUhunter4

Do you know what the percentage is for black card holders?

Did you read the last sentence of my post? I get using the card when you buy something at Cabelas. However, like I said in my last post, I don't understand why anyone uses the Cabelas visa for anything but purchases at Cabelas. Yeah, you can get 5% back on purchases at Cabelas if you have a black card, but unless you are spending a bunch of money at Cabelas each month, then there are literally dozens of cards that are better options for overall return on your spending.

You brought up the example of people using the card for company purchases and eventually buying a boat. Unless their company is making significant purchases from Cabelas (which would not be the case for virtually any company), getting 5% back for Cabelas purchases isn't helping them earn more rewards overall. They are getting 1% back on their company spending, and could have done way better than that with other cards. They could have used a cash back card, earned more rewards, and then bought the boat wherever they wanted, including Cabelas.

What I am saying isn't rocket science, it's simple math. Most people who use the Cabelas card simply don't consider the other options or realize that they aren't maximizing their return.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 11:11 AM

Any more word about BassPro buying them?

I like Cabela's products better than BP, but BP does a better job making a store a "destination", not perfect, but better. Neither one has ever impressed me with their in-store help.

My Cabela's card is set for all the automatic stuff 'cause they (or I) seem to not get the CC# lifted as often as I've experienced with Chase Sapphire. The Chase card has better points and is less of a hassle and has no fees outside the U.S.

'Course, Dave Ramsey says we're all idiots thinking about points, even if we pay the card off every month.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 12:00 PM

I do not have a cabelas card and only one CC that I do not use but I use their rewards card....cash and carry...
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 12:04 PM

Cabelas is great. I only live a few minutes away. I can't tell you how many guns and other items I have bought from them. Better options than earning points at Cabelas? Not for me. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 01:06 PM

Very nice rifle. Cabelas is the best hunting retailer that I have encountered. Unfortunate the closest store is 2 hours away. Latley though they have been offering free shipping and have been ordering stuff that way. I checked the other day and the deal with bass pro is still going forward. I hope when bass pro has majority ownership they don't change cabelas too much.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/18/16 08:50 PM

The lower right were the initial test groups with Federal Blue Box 150 grain bullets. The sight picture on the flyer to the left actually looked pretty good, so I'm not entirely sure what happened. I did change ammo boxes, so it was probably a new lot, but the follow up rounds went with the first batch; who knows.

The three shots left of center are with a handload that shoots very well in one of my other rifles. It's nothing special, just a 150 grain SGK pushed by IMR 4064, but it's a legitimate deer hunting load, not a target load. The group measures 0.875 between outside edges, or very slightly over 1/2 inch center-to-center. This is without any tuning; I could also probably tighten this up slightly with more serious technique.

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/19/16 08:28 PM

Those are some nice groups.

.875" is good enough for me and most every deer in TX. aim
Posted By: P_102

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/19/16 08:50 PM

Your lower right group is 8" left. bolt P_102

Re: Props to Cabelas - 09/20/16 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: P_102
Your lower right group is 8" left.

I like to have my sights point to a different place than where my bullets go. I feel it adds to the suspense and gives my targets a sporting chance.

wink
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum