Texas Hunting Forum

Should I have bought it?

Posted By: Matt Hejl

Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 01:24 AM

Ok I am in the hunt for my first long range rifle. I dont currently deer hunt, so no lease or land. Although I am a teacher and a coach so I know alot of folks where I could prob end up going if I wanted to. Anyways, I am in the marked for my first rifle...I like to shoot and have shot before but dont own a rifle. I wanted to get something for range shooting and if the situation arose, the be able to shoot my own gun if I go and deer hunt.

I was at Walmart today and they had a Savage Axis II (one with accutrigger) Scope combo on clearance for4 $199.

This setup goes typically at minimum $350...Usually around $400 and most people say this is a great value for money.

The problem is, the one on clearance is a .223 Thats a bit small for deer, but the price of the gun was awesome. I almost just got it anyway, but didnt.

What do you guys think? It definitely would have filled the "range shooting" check for me.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 01:29 AM

That might have been an excellent rifle just to learn the ins and outs of shooting with. That's super cheap. You could shoot that for a little while (and sell it if you decide not to keep it) then move on to something more suitable for general hunting.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
That might have been an excellent rifle just to learn the ins and outs of shooting with. That's super cheap. You could shoot that for a little while (and sell it if you decide not to keep it) then move on to something more suitable for general hunting.

Agreed.

They're sloppy cycling, and don't have a good trigger, but it can get you started. They can shoot fairly decent with quality ammo, and a bolt action .223 has tiny recoil.

Or save that money, put $400 with it, and get a Tikka T-3 in 7mm-08 or .308. That's one to never get rid of.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 01:55 AM

For the price, it would be a good buy. The 223 cartridge is a lot of fun to shoot, relatively affordable round and a great varmint gun. Not my preference for larger animals.

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 03:26 AM

I thought that accutrigger was respected fairly well in the Savage rifles.
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 03:46 AM

Trigger wise I really like the accutrigger on my savage but the scope isn't great that comes in the combo I got one in .243 when I was younger now I have a Remington 700 with a Leupold scope if you look around sometimes you can find good deals that's what I did. I spent weeks researching before buying. It depends on what you want to do personally I would go with a bigger cartridge such as a 308 if you plan on hunting deer if you just want a range gun I would go with a 223
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 11:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt Hejl
I thought that accutrigger was respected fairly well in the Savage rifles.

Accutrigger is. I thought the Axis did not have the Accutrigger. The one I've been around did not but that was a couple of years ago.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 11:36 AM

unless Savage has change recently, axis does not have accu trigger, that's why they are cheaper, save a little money and get better quality, and maybe different caliber.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 12:20 PM

i think he said AXIS II

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 04:02 PM

Yes, its the Axis II

Originally Posted By: rex47
i think he said AXIS II
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/06/16 09:50 PM

I don't know what caliber you are looking for. Just received a flyer from Gander Mountain Remington 700 $400 in 243, 270, 308 or 3006.
Savage Axis $250 270 or 3006.
Remington 783 with scope $290 243, 270, 3006 or 308.
Ruger American $400 243, 270, 3006 or 308.
Good selection.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/07/16 02:49 AM

I would've bought it, if for nothing less than trade bait for another rifle in a caliber you want. The accutrigger in the Axis2 is a good trigger.
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/07/16 03:35 AM

Look for a Ruger American Predator. Pick a 243, 308, or the 6.5 Creedmoor. Price should be $325 to $385 normally.
$199 was a steal for an Axis II. One could have easily sold it to someone for a backup or junior rifle.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/07/16 10:03 AM

Whittaker's in Ownesboro KY has Howa Lightings's in your choice of calibers, sold out of 308's though, but still has 6.5CM's and most other non mag & mag calibers at $329 w/ ummm $12 shipping to CONUS. These are matte blue with a Houge overmoulded "tupperware" stock & the newer 3 position safety like the Wby Vanguard has. Vanguard's are a cosmetically upscaled sister to the Howa's.

CDNN had some Marlin XS7's in a very recent flyer, with 243's at $250 and 708's at $280, & everything I hear about these guns is very positive. I am going to get a 270 XL7 in the next couple weeks as soon as I can get down to the sellers location to use as my backup/brush gun since I have a K+ of mixed 270 bullets on hand I've got left over from 40+ years of owning a 270. The Marlin X guns are supposed to be the best built of the Savage 10 series design.

Europtic still had some closeout original Tikka T3's as of last nite, with a very limited selection of several models on hand. The base Lite blue/ synthetic's are at $480 in 30-06, 270 & 7RMg + another one I can't remember, and some of the other big on-line guys like Bud's and Whittakers are priced real close to that too and under $500. The new T3x guns are on hand everywhere on line but at the normal retails + the usual annual price increase's.

Some deals still out there if you keep digging and pay attention....and No Reason to settle for a Ruger American for more than what WalMart closed them out for very quietly last week at $199, when thh RAR's were replaced with the Savage Axis series.
Ron

Re: Should I have bought it? - 09/07/16 11:31 AM

thanks for all the feedback...much appreciated.

My dad lives in the town its in, and I am having him to grab it this morning if its still there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum