Texas Hunting Forum

Question for you shotgunning experts.

Posted By: tx hunter

Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/30/16 03:46 AM

I shoot an old remmy 1100 with a 30" fixed full choke barrel and noticed that when shooting clays I do pretty well with it but when I'm in the field after dove or quail I seem to suffer. On a hunt last year I was doing so bad that I switched over to a 28" modified barrel in frustration and I immediately started knocking down birds. I'm not the worlds greatest shot but, I'm also not the worst. Why can I smoke clays with a full choke and not birds?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/30/16 04:09 AM

Clays fly in a consistent pattern especially if shooting trap or skeet. Birds never seem to be consistent, range/speed/angle....
Posted By: P_102

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/30/16 09:08 PM

kmon is right....also, the proper choke for the situation makes a huge difference. Most people 'overchoke'. Spending some time studying a good choke/loads chart can really help. P_102
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/30/16 09:58 PM

Think of it as batting 750 in a batting cage, then facing a real pitcher.
Posted By: Greg

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/30/16 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Clays fly in a consistent pattern especially if shooting trap or skeet. Birds never seem to be consistent, range/speed/angle....

Totally agree... 30" barrel is heavier, longer, and swings real well for clays.

Id bet most dove hunters use 28" barrels with Mod choke. I grew up with a 28" fixed mod wingmaster and shot my fair share.

When I started duck hunting more I switched from 28 to 26" and it seems to work great for me.

Also agree with getting out there and patterning different chokes at the range you usually shoot.
Posted By: bjh

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/30/16 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: tx hunter
I shoot an old remmy 1100 with a 30" fixed full choke barrel and noticed that when shooting clays I do pretty well with it but when I'm in the field after dove or quail I seem to suffer. On a hunt last year I was doing so bad that I switched over to a 28" modified barrel in frustration and I immediately started knocking down birds. I'm not the worlds greatest shot but, I'm also not the worst. Why can I smoke clays with a full choke and not birds?

Send it to Brileys ( search online will be a little over $300.00 with 3 chokes of your choice with tool for chokes) and have chokes put in it!

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/30/16 11:46 PM

Also prefer Briley over other chokes....but if you're not as picky you can get a replacement barrel with 4 Rem-chokes from Midway for $260ish. P_102
Posted By: TDK

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 01:31 AM

Mike Orlen for chokes, MUCH cheaper than Briley and more economical on a gun like this.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 01:44 AM

Mike Orlen for me. I agree that most people are over choked. Tightest choke I ever use for dove is Light Modified. I try to give myself every advantage I can get when hunting with a shotgun. Shooting one accurately does not come near as easily for me as shooting a rifle, and I like to bird hunt.
Posted By: tx hunter

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: booradley
Shooting one accurately does not come near as easily for me as shooting a rifle, and I like to bird hunt.

Lol sounds like me. What is the quality like on the replacement 1100 barrels? I ordered a 26" from midway and it'll be here Thursday.

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 01:58 AM

Quality is fine IMO.

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 01:58 AM

boo, refer to choke/load charts, Briley has some good ones. I never shoot more than Improved out to 35 yards...who am I kidding, I rarely shoot outside 25 yards and use skeet or cyl. When I go to Kansas for pheasant, I screw in Imp. and am good to 40 yds. w/ 3" loads.

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 02:08 AM

I don't use charts, I pattern. Much more useful to me.

Briley makes great chokes and does excellent work. I think Mike Orlen can do the same for less money.

My shotguns all have aftermarket chokes except for my FABARM. I have mostly Trulock with a few Carlson's and are less pricey than Briley. If I ever have an issue I'll try Briley. I got started buying after market chokes because I have five shotguns that use Invector Plus and four that use Invector. When I got around to patterning them was unhappy with the results. Did some research and found both series but especially the Invector Plus OEM chokes have the reputation of being subpar.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 02:11 AM

I would think the 28" barrel allowed you to stay on the live target better. You may be over thinking the shot with the longer barrel and are more instinctive with a shorter one.

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 02:23 AM

Unfortunately I can't speak for Trulock or Carlson. I shoot Brileys because they were the best when I competed 25+ years ago and knew/shot with Jess. Did you know that, at one time, Jess Briley shot competition skeet with 90 penny nails duct taped to the bottom of his barrels for added weight? LOL. Not long after that he introduced the Briley skeet gun but it never took hold. Would love to own one now. P_102
Posted By: Greg

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 08/31/16 03:56 AM

+ 1 for Briley. Their Light Modified choke falls between IC and MOD and will put the hurt on dove and duck.
Posted By: 280AI

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 09/02/16 02:50 AM

A open choke is a mental crutch for a crippled shot.

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 09/02/16 01:16 PM

"A open choke is a mental crutch for a crippled shot."

Not sure what this means.......... P_102
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 09/02/16 02:05 PM

I might need to pick up a light modified. Doves were flying way far out yesterday and the IC wasn't getting it done. Had to switch to the modified to hit anything. Wish I woulda had something in between.

Re: Question for you shotgunning experts. - 09/02/16 10:36 PM

"A open choke is a mental crutch for a crippled shot."

Not sure what this means.......... P_102

Would really like an answer, 280AI.....I get the feeling you are snubbing those of us that use chokes For best results. P_102
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum