Texas Hunting Forum

Another pistol thread.

Posted By: J.G.

Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 08:48 PM

18 year old stepson wants his first pistol. Semi-auto 9mm, partially because ammo is plentiful as well as inexpensive.

Best bang for the buck? He'll probably have it forever.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 08:51 PM

I'd just take him and let him try some for himself. If it's a forever gun. A nice 1911 in 9mm. I can't shoot anything but glocks and s&w m&p. Everything else I've tried has had terrible results. Could be very different for him.
Posted By: therock

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 08:51 PM

Glock 19

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:01 PM

He's in Comifornia, I can't take him shooting.

Glocks concern me about the human error factor, partially why I sold mine, though I never had an A.D. I was thinking a full size Springfield XD. Yes, no?
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Glocks concern me about the human error factor, partially why I sold mine, though I never had an A.D. I was thinking a full size Springfield XD. Yes, no?

XD Mod 2 Service model. I've had plenty of Glocks and Springfields, and that's my favorite. You can shoot mine first if you want.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:15 PM

In that case go find him the fanciest sling shot you can and hopefully they don't limit those too.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson

In that case go find him the fanciest sling shot you can and hopefully they don't limit those too.

I think you can buy the wooden part, but not the rubber sling part in California. hammer
Posted By: LSCG

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:33 PM

if he'll have it forever then it should be a 1911. lots of different brands to look at but if it were me i'd look hard at Dan Wesson.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:42 PM

I love 1911's. Is there one in 9mm less than $1K? I didn't think there was.

Jeremy, bring it out, I'd like to shoot it.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:45 PM

Perhaps a CZ75, or even one of the many excellent "clones". I have three of the Tristar pistols (t-100, t-120, c-100), and they are among my favorite; regardless of cost. I haven't taken my P226 out of the safe in a year, and shoot at least one of the Tristars every range trip. The c-100 splits carry time with my P938, depending on clothing and conceal ability. I did add VZ grips to all of mine, but just because I like them and the pistol was cheap to boot.

Here's a pic of the T-120 and C-100. Each was about $330 with 2 magazines.

Posted By: BigPig

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:52 PM

Hard to beat a Sig 226 or P229

My P226 has surpassed 20,000 rounds

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 09:55 PM

There are some sub $1k 1911s out here. Kimber, Springfield, Sti, and all the rock island Taurus etc. probably more. May have to shop to find them but they do exist new and used.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 10:00 PM

I bought a Colt 1911 in 9mm for $769, I just saw one on a shelf for about that the other day at a local store. If I still lived in Texas, you would have been welcome to shoot it.

Posted By: janie

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 10:06 PM

I'm partial to Glocks simply because they can take so much abuse, and keep on running. If a 1911 is in the works, my Springfield A-1 in 9mm runs flawlessly, and I picked it up for $600.00. Both mag's, original box and paperwork.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 11:51 PM

I wouldn't take for my Glock. Not sure of the "human error" issue you reference. But it's one of the most popular pistols around the world - safety issues regarding Glocks are no more problematic than any other pistol.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 11:52 PM

Why would a Glock concern u about safety if and xD doesn't? Is it the additional beaver tail safety?

Not sure what price range you're looking at but I have an fnx9. It's cheap and reliable with all the safety features u can ask for. Nothing really all that "cool" about it though. I hoe stay don't shoot mine much because my glock 19 is overall my favorite and my carry piece.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/28/16 11:53 PM

CZ 75 series!
Posted By: Zonker

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:02 AM

Beretta 92FS is hard to beat.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck

Why would a Glock concern u about safety if and xD doesn't? Is it the additional beaver tail safety?

Yes, the added grip safety is a good thing. I'm not bashing Glocks, they're fine pistols, and as reliable as they come. But I'm not handing one to an eighteen year old. And yes, he's very well versed in gun safety. I know more than one person that's had A.D.s with Glocks. I sold mine and went to a 1911, best move I ever made, with my pistols.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:11 AM

Dan Wesson has a 45 and 10mm for around a $1000 but I don't believe they have a 9mm for that price. there are some other nice options out there though.

Colt Light weight Commander.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod...W+COMMANDER+9MM

Springfield range officer.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod...on%e2%84%a2+9mm

Ruger SR1911.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod...11+9mm+9+1+4.25

of course there are others out there but that's a pretty good start. another option if he wanted a double stack gun would be a browning Hi Power.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:25 AM

Yes, the added grip safety is a good thing. I'm not bashing Glocks, they're fine pistols, and as reliable as they come. But I'm not handing one to an eighteen year old. And yes, he's very well versed in gun safety. I know more than one person that's had A.D.s with Glocks. I sold mine and went to a 1911, best move I ever made, with my pistols.

OK. I will say that a Glock has no more safety/AD risk than any other pistol. There is no way to have an AD unless one is basically inept at basic tenets of gun safety. Implying that they are one iota more dangerous in the hands of an 18 year old familiar with basic gun safety than any other pistol makes me scratch my head. They are a perfectly safe weapon.

I'll shut up now.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:29 AM

Can he own a handgun @ 18 yo in Cali.? I believe you have to be 21 here.

Texas has no laws regarding possession of "long-barreled firearms" or "long guns" (shotguns, rifles and similar) by persons 18 years or older with valid identification, or handguns by persons 21 years or older, without felony convictions; all existing restrictions in State law mirror Federal law.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:34 AM

Doesn't the browning hi-power fit in here somewhere?

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: LSCG

Dan Wesson has a 45 and 10mm for around a $1000 but I don't believe they have a 9mm for that price. there are some other nice options out there though.

Ruger SR1911.

of course there are others out there but that's a pretty good start. another option if he wanted a double stack gun would be a browning Hi Power.

Big help!

I looked at all those links, and my wallet got hot. I'd like to buy all three and let him pick one, I'll keep the other two. smile

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

OK. I will say that a Glock has no more safety/AD risk than any other pistol. There is no way to have an AD unless one is basically inept at basic tenets of gun safety. Implying that they are one iota more dangerous in the hands of an 18 year old familiar with basic gun safety than any other pistol makes me scratch my head. They are a perfectly safe weapon.

I'll shut up now.

Operate how you like, and how you choose for your children to . I will take care of me and mine. That's my stance, it does not have to be your stance. Wife and I own many pistols, and none are Glocks. That is our choice.
Posted By: Buckeyesgt

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:43 AM

If I lived in that communists hell hold I'd just get a .357 revolver. No mags to worry about.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:45 AM

Also,
Can I give a firearm to my adult child? Can he/she give it back to me later?

Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category, pdf and the firearm is legal to possess (e.g., not an assault weapon). The transfer of a firearm between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement. The exemption does not apply to step-children/step-parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, or cousins.

If the firearm is a handgun, the recipient must obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate prior to taking possession and must also submit a Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction and $19 fee to the DOJ within 30 days after taking possession.

The same rules apply to the return of the firearm at a later date.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: swmays
Doesn't the browning hi-power fit in here somewhere?

You stole my thunder, if I was buying a forever pistol it would be the Browning Hi-Power.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:51 AM

Springfield range office, operator $800. comes with holster, mag holder, 2 magazines. rail for future lights and lasers

only if the Dan Wesson is too high

I love my XDM 9mm

if he likes holding a boring brick get him a glock

2cents

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:57 AM

I'm not arguing about your choice or your right to make it. That's a complete straw man. 1911s are great pistols. And a great choice.

But you are the one who said Glocks are more subject to ADs/somehow unsafe in design. So much so you wouldn't put one in the hands of an 18 year old familiar with gun safety. That is all I responded to - because it is simply not the case.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:58 AM

The biggest issue I have with a Glick is having to pull the trigger to take it apart. I think that's where most AD's come from in a Glock. I did loose a friend to an AD with a Glock. He was tucking the pistol into his waistband when the trigger hung on clothing and discharged into his leg, taking out the femoral.

I still vote Sig.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Buckeyesgt
If I lived in that communists hell hold I'd just get a .357 revolver. No mags to worry about.

That's what I'm talking about. A GP100 is a heckuva revolver, and Safariland speed loaders are pretty dang quick to deploy.

If the bottom fell out, and I was down to my last two firearms for protection and hunting; it would be my Ruger 4" Security Six and a Rossi M92 in .357.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 01:34 AM

Glock , Springfield, maybe a sig 320

Something mid size

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
The biggest issue I have with a Glick is having to pull the trigger to take it apart. I think that's where most AD's come from in a Glock. I did loose a friend to an AD with a Glock. He was tucking the pistol into his waistband when the trigger hung on clothing and discharged into his leg, taking out the femoral.

I still vote Sig.

My point exactly BP.

NP, again, do as you like my safety opinion is my opinion, same as your opinion is yours.

He brought it up to me today. He knows the laws out there way better than I. As far as I know he's wanting to know what to save for, for the next three years. Then again, there's talks of him moving here. I sure hope he does! He's a sponge of everything I have to teach him. Got him to 1000 yards, on a .308, when he was 14 years old.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 01:46 AM

I still vote Sig.

My point exactly BP.

NP, again, do as you like my safety opinion is my opinion, same as your opinion is yours.

He brought it up to me today. He knows the laws out there way better than I. As far as I know he's wanting to know what to save for, for the next three years. Then again, there's talks of him moving here. I sure hope he does! He's a sponge of everything I have to teach him. Got him to 1000 yards, on a .308, when he was 14 years old.

I know we all have our options on safety vs no safety. I prefer no safety because that's what I train with. However, I see no problem in a first time pistol owner having one, I bought my wife a P238 because it had a safety, but it also has a trigger much more sensitive than a Glock, Sig, XD/M, all of which are still safe if treated properly.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 02:14 AM

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: LSCG

Ruger SR1911.

Big help!

I looked at all those links, and my wallet got hot. I'd like to buy all three and let him pick one, I'll keep the other two. smile

happy to help others spend their money. grin

one thing you might have to look into before making a purchase is California's crazy laws. I seem to remember something about there being an approved gun list.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 03:29 AM

If you're gonna get him a full size 1911, go with 45acp. 9mm 1911s just seem a little gimmicky to me. If I was in the market for a 9mm and not interested in Glock, Id be looking solely at Springfield or Sig. Thats just me.

That said, I have a sweet custom Glock 23 (40sw), Beretta PX4 (9mm), Colt Commander (45acp), Glock 43 (9mm) you're welcome to try out
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 03:41 AM

I'm not gonna be much help, I like so many of them. I have Glock, Beretta 92, 1911's, XDm's, Ruger Security Six, Colt Troopers ...still REALLY want a Hi-Power, have wanted one for a long time just haven't gotten around to it yet.

There's so many good ones out there.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 05:13 AM

I would check the roster, many handguns are not on the roster in California. This is if he is going to keep it in California.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 11:15 AM

I'd love a Sig, but he's left handed. The thumb safety is an issue. I'm leaning toward a 1911, or XDM.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 12:44 PM

I own both the XDM and 1911.

Both are great pistols. The XDM is great for someone wanting 19 shots if needed but because of this it feels heavy and fat compared to the 1911. Still a great shooter though.

1911 would be my choice between the two.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 01:45 PM

Oak Hill Guns has a S&W Pro series 9mm 1911 for $1,230.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 01:48 PM

HK USP you can switch controls for left handed folk. I had one that was pretty nice. Its an option to look at.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 02:11 PM

18 year old stepson wants his first pistol. Semi-auto 9mm, partially because ammo is plentiful as well as inexpensive.

Best bang for the buck? He'll probably have it forever.

Sig p320. DA only so he doesn't have to over think the decocking
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 02:26 PM

It's striker fired just like the Glock. Pretensioned striker with a short trigger pull. The only difference is that it doesn't have the little finger safety in the middle of the trigger.

Personally, I'm with NP. Accidents happen with Glocks because people buy crappy holsters that deform and catch the trigger, or because they are careless with how they handle the gun. I've carried my Glock every day for two years, shoot it and my other one at least once a week and you know how many times I've nearly shot myself? Zero.

Read this article about a police officer shooting himself while trying to attach a light to his Glock, then tell me that it was because the Glock is an inherently unsafe design if you still feel that way.

http://www.guns.com/2016/08/24/glock-scheduled-for-trial-in-personal-injury-case/

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 02:35 PM

This is not an argument of weather or not Glocks are dangerous. I made my decision about Glocks, I couldn't care less if everyone chooses to carry them. As for me and my house, I have a stance on what we will do.

Stop saying Glock, he's not getting a Glock.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 02:37 PM

I love hk follwed by glock. Recently got a CZ and thats probably the only pistol ill buy now im that impressed. I have or had sig, hk, Springfield, taurus, glock, khar, s&w, and cz. I cant say how much i like the 75b, p07 for cc, and p09. Wanna get the sp-01. What i love about the cz a lot of models can go from decocker to manual safety in minutes and they include the controls. Im not a great pistol shot but at 27yds i kept a 7" group with Cheapo tulla 115gr 9mm out of my 75b omega yesterday.

Fyi 7" at that distance is good for me. I dont know how guys shoot 1". Not that ill be defending myself at 27 yds probably 7' or in just describing how well the thing shoots with a sub par pistol ahot like me.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 03:03 PM

I'm a lefty and run an XDM because of the ambi controls.
Posted By: Payne

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 03:12 PM

forever gun? 1911 in 45

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 03:49 PM

I'd get him an XDM. Way more versatile than a 1911 in my mind. 1911 would be a nice gift down the road when he wants to step up to a 45acp.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 03:52 PM

I know very little about Calif gun laws but you might want to investigate legality's a little further before you give him a handgun...

What is his state of residence? TX or CA? Yours is obviously TX.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
I know very little about Calif gun laws but you might want to investigate legality's a little further before you give him a handgun...

What is his state of residence? TX or CA? Yours is obviously TX.

^^^^^This^^^^^

I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to sell an AR10 to a guy in California. Never again. I wouldn't have agreed to it in the first place except the buyer was a disabled veteran that lost his legs in Afghan. I wasn't about to turn him down.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 04:09 PM

Good suggestions in here. Sure is nice to fix up a younger shooter, get him started.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 04:10 PM

He told me last night, he's going to get his other dad grin to do the purchasing. And will shoot it with him in presence until he's 21. He just needs me to tell him what to get. If he moves here, I'll have him ship it to an FFL ahead of time.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 04:48 PM

He told me last night, he's going to get his other dad grin to do the purchasing. And will shoot it with him in presence until he's 21. He just needs me to tell him what to get. If he moves here, I'll have him ship it to an FFL ahead of time.

Good plan!

S&W M&P 9mm...ambi controls

Link
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 05:13 PM

Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,glock,glockglockglockglockglockglcok.
I'm no help. bolt

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 05:14 PM

Forgot about the M & P! Thank you!

I sent him that link as well as several others this morning. I'm going to tell him to find a gunshop he can go test drive several pistols.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 05:15 PM

Haven't ran through all the suggestions, but myself and my wife both run glock 23's and have zero complaints. I'm very tough on my guns and neither of them have ever had an issue whatsoever.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: OkieDokie

Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,Glock,glock,glockglockglockglockglockglcok.
I'm no help. bolt

I wondered how long it would take rofl

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
Haven't ran through all the suggestions, but myself and my wife both run glock 23's and have zero complaints. I'm very tough on my guns and neither of them have ever had an issue whatsoever.

whip
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 05:35 PM

I just went and shot about 200 rounds of 9mil through a PX4 Storm, 92-A1, P229 Legion, and SP2022. Bulk of that through the last gun, but the whole group put 650 through the 4, divided among 5 shooters. All guns shot great to me. The Legion is the most expensive of the bunch, but has a phenomenal trigger and nitesights. The Beretta's sights aren't too good for me, but they are fun and accurate to shoot. We fed all the guns 115gr FMJs, from Russian steel to Blazer, Winchester, and Remington brass; no cycling issues with any gun. No jams with any gun. Since the 2022 is "my" gun, I like it the most. It has a good trigger and accuracy. Plus, it's under $500. The Storm is next in price, but the grip is not as great as the 2022's, and the trigger is detestable.

Does California have a 10-round magazine limit? All the models we had had 15- or 17- round mags. I know the Sigs offer 10-rounders but dunno about the Berettas.

I like what people were saying about 1911s earlier in the threads, but that'll be a lot of mag reloads at the range, and those suck.
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 06:02 PM

I shoot a Springfield micro-compact in 45acp and the wife shoots a Springfield EMP 9mm. She shot her g23 better but won't carry it due to lack of a safety. A girl at her work snagged the trigger on a pen in her purse and it discharged. All she cared about was the hole in her coach bag loco

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 06:42 PM

^^And another proving my point^^

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 07:13 PM

I did loose a friend to an AD with a Glock. He was tucking the pistol into his waistband when the trigger hung on clothing and discharged into his leg, taking out the femoral.

Jason, this is the comment that scares me. I have 2 Glocks and the only time there is a bullet in the chamber is right before it's about to leave the barrel.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 07:39 PM

Understandable.

I carry chambered. I want to only need one hand to get the pistol in service. XDs is chambered either in the console or in the holster. Pull it and shoot, but it has the grip safety, in addition to the trigger safety. 1911 is chambered, cocked, and safetied when I'm carrying it, thumb safety, and grip safety. Two things have to happen, but one hand can do them both.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: cxjcherokec
I shoot a Springfield micro-compact in 45acp and the wife shoots a Springfield EMP 9mm. She shot her g23 better but won't carry it due to lack of a safety. A girl at her work snagged the trigger on a pen in her purse and it discharged. All she cared about was the hole in her coach bag loco

This is EXACTLY why I sold my wife's Glock. I made sure it was empty then dug around in her purse w/a mascara pen thingy. Trigger went click!
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 08:09 PM

HK VP9

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 09:08 PM

funny how very few actually READ the OP's first post and answer it.

Oh yea, get him a Glock bang
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

He didn't specify

I would rather have two glocks over one 1911

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 09:48 PM

oh BIL
Posted By: RHutch

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/29/16 11:57 PM

C'mon Buzz.....A 1911 in anything other than .45ACP is not a 1911.....IMHO.

The OP's points were:
9mm
Best bang for buck
"Forever gun"

HK VP9 or a Glock or an M&P answer the first two.
The 1911 only satisfies point 3.....maybe....and that's a stretch.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 01:21 AM

I know but I want one, I have 2, 1911 .45's in the safe.

I have 2 bids on 9mm Springfield Range Officer, Operators on GB, cheaper to shoot, I love my XDM too, hell, I love them all

I might even own a glock but my little fingers cant reach the trigger around the brick like grip.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 01:39 AM

I wonder if he's considered getting him a Glock.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 01:47 AM

I know but I want one, I have 2, 1911 .45's in the safe.

I have 2 bids on 9mm Springfield Range Officer, Operators on GB, cheaper to shoot, I love my XDM too, hell, I love them all

I might even own a glock but my little fingers cant reach the trigger around the brick like grip.

Buzz, have you held a Gen4? My hands never liked Glocks till the Gen 4. Lemme know if you wanna finger mine some time and Ill bring it by.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 01:48 AM

That's a great point, I haven't held one with the smaller grip inserts. I do like the 10MM longslide they have now
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 01:53 AM

I have a Ruger SR1911 and love it. Best $700 I've spent. Well built in the USA. Cut from a single bar of steel, good trigger, beaver tailed and Novack sites.

I will say, for concealed carry it is a bit heavy and better worn in cooler months. Tough to hide in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops.

I also have Kimber Ultra Carry in 9mm. Very concealable, shoots very well. I got mine for under $650 new.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 02:39 AM

As previously stated California has a roster of handguns that can be purchased new in that state. As an example no Glock Gen 4's and no U.S. manufactured Glocks can be purchased. Fortunately for FiremanJG he is not considering Glocks. He is seriously restricted on what he can recommend to his stepson's father to purchase. There is or was a loophole where the roster doesn't apply to private transactions.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: jorge
I love hk follwed by glock. Recently got a CZ and thats probably the only pistol ill buy now im that impressed. I have or had sig, hk, Springfield, taurus, glock, khar, s&w, and cz. I cant say how much i like the 75b, p07 for cc, and p09. Wanna get the sp-01. What i love about the cz a lot of models can go from decocker to manual safety in minutes and they include the controls. Im not a great pistol shot but at 27yds i kept a 7" group with Cheapo tulla 115gr 9mm out of my 75b omega yesterday.

Fyi 7" at that distance is good for me. I dont know how guys shoot 1". Not that ill be defending myself at 27 yds probably 7' or in just describing how well the thing shoots with a sub par pistol ahot like me.

I'm a huge CZ fan. I've got an 82, 83, P-07 and 75 SP-01 Tactical. I'm not a Glock person because I too like a safety or even better a decocker. There is NO right or wrong concerning the safety/no safety argument, simply preference. Glock grips are also too big for my short fingers. No denying they are excellent handguns though.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/30/16 03:24 AM

I'm not much of a pistol shooter but I do own a Colt 1911 . My wife owns Sig p2022 40 cal and a Browning BDM in 9mm that was her back up duty weapon when she was in law enforcement and it's a pretty neat little gun to bad they don't make them anymore . I shoot all three of them and the 1911 is by far the one I'm most comfortable with. I'm probably going to by a Springfield XDS 40 for my conceal carry pistol. I like the new Glock 43 but the chance of AD really worries me .
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: Another pistol thread. - 08/31/16 01:56 AM

You can find the new Colt Comeptition 1911 in 9mm for about $600 if you look around. They work well - no complaints.

They have a matching 45acp version you could buy him as a future present too. And still almost be at $1000
Posted By: crash700

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: therock
Glock 19

I concur, A Glock 19 or maybe a Glock 17. Both are good choices.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: crash700
Originally Posted By: therock
Glock 19

I concur, A Glock 19 or maybe a Glock 17. Both are good choices.

Nobody reads anything anymore, just blurts their opinion rolleyes

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 04:35 AM

Has JG bought a Glock yet?

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: HicksHunter
Has JG bought a Glock yet?

I sent him a list of links, and told him to go test drive all of them before committing to one. Glock was not on the list.....of course.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 05:12 PM

I think you should get a him a Glock peep

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Scary Poppins
You can find the new Colt Comeptition 1911 in 9mm for about $600 if you look around. They work well - no complaints.

They have a matching 45acp version you could buy him as a future present too. And still almost be at $1000

Where does one find these new Colt Comeptition 1911's for $600 9mm or 45?

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Nerve wracking sons-a-bi###es, it's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids.

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 05:43 PM

Nerve wracking sons-a-bi###es, it's like I'm playing cards with my brother's kids.

rofl really though any striker fired pistol he likes will probably serve him well. I had some feeding issues out of my 2 RIA 9mm 1911's with 115gr ammo. 124gr fed fine but I couldn't get them to run with 115gr for the life of me. For a 9mm "1911 type" I'd probably look at the CZ75. Then there is always sig they're a bit too big go my hands never felt right but sig quality stands on its own. Almost as good as a Glock stir grin

Re: Another pistol thread. - 09/03/16 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Scary Poppins

Where does one find these new Colt Comeptition 1911's for $600 9mm or 45?

Yeah seriously? I saw one on the shelf at a local store yesterday for a little 1K
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum