Texas Hunting Forum

New rings

Posted By: Amarillo.Hunter

New rings - 08/25/16 10:50 PM

Hey all,
What is your favorite make and model of rings for a hunting rifle (mine does not have a picatinny rail).

Previously, I've used Talley lightweights and Tally's 1 piece rings.

Just curious if I should look at anything else?
Posted By: booradley

Re: New rings - 08/25/16 11:42 PM

Talley is good. There are numerous good ones out there, don't let anyone tell you different. In addition to Talley, off the top of my head I can think of Warne, Leupold, DNZ and Burris. Weaver is good too but I hate mounting them.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: New rings - 08/25/16 11:42 PM

For me, two simple rules pretty well cover rings and bases: it's gotta be made of steel, and it cannot be the windage-adjustable rear base. That pretty much covers it. YMMV.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 01:31 AM

Warnes with 20moa base, i dont buy the high end stuff like nightforce.

I dont see the gain to go high end when ill lap if needed anyhow. Barrels, stocks, and optics ill buy best my budget allow, especially barrels.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 01:52 AM

Talley, DNZ, and Seekins are the only rings I use
Posted By: booradley

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 02:14 AM

I use Warne rings and ERG bases. Occasionally I use the Leupold Std but only for a specific situation.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 02:14 AM

Talley or Leupold for hunting (no rail)

Nightforce Lightweights (with rail)
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 02:16 AM

Talley or Seekins on all of my rifles.
Posted By: Biggs

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 02:50 AM

TALLEY
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 07:44 AM

Those rings with the rear windage base get thrown away. Just a matter of time before they fail horribly. I buy 1 or 2 piece picatinny rail bases and then use Burris XTR 6 hole rings. Loctite the base screws and torque everything to spec. I always lap them after mounting. Haven't had a problem with them yet. *knock on wood*
Posted By: charlesb

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 11:40 AM

I like the Talley one-piece ring/bases. Properly done, aluminum is more than rugged enough to do the job, and do it well. Cheap, flimsy aluminum rings and bases though are pretty worthless.

I also have had good luck with bases that have the windage adjustment on the rear base. Shooters who follow the directions with these very seldom have any problems with them, and they reduce the amount of adjustment needed on the scope. - You always get the best performance from a scope that is set as near to the center of its adjustment range as possible. This type of mounting system allows that to happen.

Picatinny bases are OK if you like the Weaver-style ring mounting system, and if you do not care what your rifle looks like. There is no way to take the ugly off of a picatinny base, that is just how they are. On some rifles this does not matter but on others, it really does.

The best quality, strongest and best designed rings and bases are also the most attractive. - I am speaking of course about Conetrol rings and bases. Nothing else comes anywhere close to a set of Conetrol 'Custum' rings and bases for a fine hunting firearm.

I use all kinds, but the cheap ones that I have tried have wound up in the junk box before long. It is amazing how much better quality you can get with rings and bases by just spending an extra ten or twenty bucks. If price is not an issue, do yourself a favor and try the Conetrol stuff. - It cost me just under 200 bills to get my BLR set up with them.

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: New rings - 08/26/16 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jorge
Warnes with 20moa base, i dont buy the high end stuff like nightforce.

I dont see the gain to go high end when ill lap if needed anyhow. Barrels, stocks, and optics ill buy best my budget allow, especially barrels.
I always check to see if they need lapped, if you don't, you would be surprised how many need to be lapped
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum