Texas Hunting Forum

Shooting at the range

Posted By: Bradgrace

Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 12:03 AM

What are yalls preferred way of sighting in at the range? Bipod, sand bags, lead sled? I always seem to have issues getting stable.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 12:07 AM

Prone, bipod, rear bag.

That's for zeroing, testing loads, and getting DOPE. Off the ground is once all that is done, to practice shooting, and getting steady in hunting positions.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 12:08 AM

^^^ I see JG beat me to it.

I use a bipod and rear bag to zero a rifle. It's very stable from a bench or prone position.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 01:43 AM

Big, fat, solid, cement bench, correct height seat with a boat cushion. front mechanical rest and a rear bag. Exact opposite from JG and most run and gun young'uns.

That's what you use when you are a big ole 64.5 year old man with herniated disks up top and degenerative disk down low , two bad knees, and hips

http://s122.photobucket.com/user/buzzsawbucket/media/IMG_05611_zps4068a144.jpg.html?sort=3&o=153

OK maybe a belly bench sometimes
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 01:45 AM

Yes, okay sometimes a belly bench

banana
Posted By: Strongbad

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 02:10 PM

Front/rear bags. Lead sleds are a good way to break a stock.
Posted By: 7six2

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 03:03 PM

Bipod in the front and a rear bag or sometimes a small carpet covered block of wood on top of the table. When using a sand or poly filled rear rest you sometimes have to smack it down on the table a few times to get it to even out and take some wobble out.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 03:51 PM

Cheap Caldwell front and rear bags. - No problem with stability, it works fine.

Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 04:11 PM

Front and rear bags to work up loads and get zero'd. Then practce from field conditions. Been doing it that way since 1971.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 04:30 PM

I have the Caldwell bags too, no problems.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Off the ground is once all that is done, to practice shooting, and getting steady in hunting positions.

Like any other sport, you play the way you practice. It's sheer foolishness to expect anything different.

But it can be fun to watch and listen to the rant of those who might disagree, soon after they just missed the buck of a lifetime.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 09:58 PM

From the bench or Prone. Bipod and rear bag. Some time bipod with no bag just my off hand.
Posted By: Kevin1

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/23/16 10:09 PM

You need to zero the same way as you shoot (bipod or bench for example). If not, your POI will slightly be different.
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/24/16 02:52 AM

Thanks for starting this thread! I see that I need to build a solid bench.
I was out Sunday sighting in a rifle that was a recent gun shop find, a $500 T3 Hunter package in a 1-8 twist 223. I was using a Lead Sled Solo but have a really poor table (an old utility cable spool). The spool was loose, and a constant source of frustration. One had to keep a lot of forward pressure on the top to keep it from going sideways. Plus the sled would wiggle around to a different location after every shot. I shot a variety of 50gr to 68gr over the counter ammo that I had collected over the past couple years. The first group shot right after checking the scope zero got me excited. Then I was really interesting trying to get a solid group at 100 with the 3x9 scope crosshairs that were tough to align with the pattern featured on the Champion target paper. I had much better results with a red bull target at 100yds, and will try this again with a much better table.

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/24/16 11:00 PM

40# bag of lead up front and a sand sock for initial sight-in. Then I go to bi-pod and sand sock.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/25/16 09:42 PM

At the local range, you can only shoot from a bench. No prone or standing etc. I've used a lead sled before, but only for some of the harder-recoiling rifles. Since surgery is coming, those are gone and I haven't used one since.
I mainly use bean-bags (home made) and the caldwell sand bags front and a leather sand bag rear. To keep from crawling on the stock, I set it up a bit higher than normal.
At a friend's place, I can go out to 450 and do that prone and in other positions for practice and because not all the deer will walk up while sitting in a box blind! aim
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/26/16 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Kevin1
You need to zero the same way as you shoot (bipod or bench for example). If not, your POI will slightly be different.

Same.
Posted By: splash556

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/27/16 09:44 PM

Bench. Bi-pod and rear squeeze bag.

Tried a lead sled. Didn't like it. Dang those impulse buys!
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Shooting at the range - 08/30/16 02:12 AM

Felt hat and truck hood.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum