Texas Hunting Forum

My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True!

Posted By: ChadTRG42

My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 02:23 PM

Something that I hear often at the range or from shooters is, "My rifle doesn't like this bullet, so I switched to a different bullet." That's not 100% true. What your rifle does not like is the load used with that bullet, meaning it does not like the powder and powder charge used with this certain bullet. If you could find ammo from a different mfg or a custom load with the same bullet, it can easily be made to shoot well with that certain bullet.

Why does some factory ammo not shoot well? Ammunition made by your common ammo mfg make ammo that will (or should) chamber and function in ALL rifles in that caliber. The bullet is often seated deep in the case, which creates a long jump to the rifling, which decreases the accuracy sweet spot.

The main problem factory ammo does not shoot well- powder charge inconsistency. Factory ammunition is made on a mass production line and the powder charge is dispensed by volume, not weighed, like most hand loaders do. I have pulled MANY bullets on factory ammunition and weighed out their powder charges. Most factory ammo will have about a 1.0 grain spread. I have seen as high as a 1.9 grain spread on about 30 rounds of ammo. What is 1.9 grains difference? In fps, it's about 150-190 fps difference. Also, when I work up a load for a certain rifle, I make the test rounds going up in either a .3 or .4 grain spread (depending on the case size). A 1.9 spread will incorporate about 6 different groups of test ammo, which will have a large swing in the accuracy sweet spot, no good!

I have also taken in customers' rifle's that they said their rifle does not shoot a 180 grain Accubond well at all. They want to shoot that bullet, but they "know" the rifle doesn't like this bullet. I inform them that if you want this bullet, then let me work up a load with it. They are later amazed that their rifle now shoots this 180 grain Accubond very well when the factory ammo shot so poorly.

So if you rifle does not like a certain bullet, it can still shoot that bullet well, just in a different load. Sure, some rifles may not like a certain bullet due to the improper twist, magazine length issue, or something specific to that rifle. But in general, by switching to a different load with the bullet you want to shoot, your rifle can be made to shoot that same bullet that did poorly in another load.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 02:36 PM

As always, good stuff, Chad! Thanks!

Posted By: Kevin1

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 02:58 PM

Have you measured the powder charge of FGMM 175g? What variation did you find? Are they still using IMR 4064?

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 03:02 PM

I have not weighed out many of the FGGM. I have pulled some bullets on their ammo, and I have seen extruded powder and ball powder. Like most ammo companies, they load what powder they can get that will work for them.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 04:01 PM

This is how I picture most factories loading ammo...

http://gifrific.com/baby-shovels-dirt-onto-his-head/
Posted By: J.G.

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 05:13 PM

Good stuff, Chad. up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 05:24 PM

Chad we need a reason to blame the gun and ammo stop giving us all these facts roflmao
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 07:25 PM

It may be true that some bullets might require more fiddling around to get them to work, there are bullets that tend to be more accurate than others. Whether you say "my rifle doesn't like Acme bullets" or "my rifle doesnt like Acme bullets as much as others" becomes a question of semantics. I do agree though---I'm guilty of this myself---sometimes we develop ruts in our ways and our preferences that hinder us.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 08:06 PM

My Savage 308 didn't not like any flavor of Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, 150gr or 168gr. It did however like the Winchester soft points in 165.

It now has a regular diet of Federal SMK
Posted By: charlesb

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 09:34 PM

I have a strong preference for bullets that do not require a lot of fiddling around in order to work well with my particular gun. If one is a pain in the rear, and the other works right off the bat with several different loads, guess which one I will buy more of?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 10:51 PM

I think Chad is generally correct. Still, I just can't seem to get great accuracy with Nosler Partitions, but truth is that I don't need "great" with that bullet. So, I think what matters here might be our personal expectations of accuracy.
Posted By: Ritter

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 11:28 PM

I agree 100%.

When I decide it's time to re-barrel an existing rifle or buy/build a new rifle I always start with the bullet.

I'll decide what I want the rifle to do and what bullet will work best. After that I pick a velocity that I want to push the bullet at and the final decision is what cartridge will get me the results I want. There are a few other details like how much powder will I have to burn, how quick the throat will wear, ease of finding or forming the brass, etc., but the bullet is where it starts.

I even go as far as only using Hodgdon Extreme powders to minimize velocity changes due to temperature changes.

If it were true that some bullets just won't work in some rifles then I could easily be out some big cash every time I put together a new rifle.

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/22/16 11:52 PM

Bingo, Ritter!
Posted By: Judd

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 03:52 AM

Dude, every gun I've used Hornady ballistic tips in has been a hammer...even better if you put a break on them.

rofl Chad, just stroked out rofl

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Dude, every gun I've used Hornady ballistic tips in has been a hammer...even better if you put a break on them.

Don't forget to make sure the rounds will fit in the clip.

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 12:51 PM

LMAO!!! Hornady Ballistic Tips! Yelp, they are the best bullets ever!!!!

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 12:54 PM

Posted By: Jgraider

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 04:14 PM

I've found that high quality barrels will shoot a wide variety of loads and bullets very well, but will find certain bullets particularly accurate.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

That reminds me, I need some extra clips. Which clip manufacturer makes the best clip? I searched on Midway for clips but it looks like they probably don't carry them any more. I'm shocked!
Posted By: nsmike

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 05:43 PM

When you change the statement to, my rifle doesn't like a certain bullet weight, it will often be the rifle. If a rifle likes a certain bullet weight it'll generally like most bullets in that weight. Conversely if it doesn't like a bullet weight it'll not like most bullets in that weight. I once had a 30-06 that liked 150 grain bullets, it would shoot most factory loads anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch groups, whith 180 gr, it would shoot 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups.
Posted By: booradley

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 06:40 PM

I've learned a lot reading your posts Chad.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: My rifle doesn't like this bullet....... NOT True! - 08/23/16 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

That reminds me, I need some extra clips. Which clip manufacturer makes the best clip? I searched on Midway for clips but it looks like they probably don't carry them any more. I'm shocked!

I found plenty of clips. Your GTS skills are weak. whistle

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle...-prod42370.aspx
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum