Texas Hunting Forum

MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles

Posted By: BuckRage

MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 09:41 PM

I just got this video from gohunt.com emailed to me. I thought the idea of the video was more interesting than the watch but I'm curious what everyone else thinks about it. Some truth in this I believe but it did have a little commercially feel about it.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 10:25 PM

Are they building a good rifle? Looks that way. Can it hold MOA 100 to 1000? Maybe. Maybe, because it didn't consistently. Some of that was shooter/ spotter.

Mis-truths were told:

Custom rifles cost $4K to $10K. Not true. $1300 will get a plain action and stock, a high end barrel, chambered better than any mass produced will be. $2K is about what I have in three of mine with barrel, stock, bottom metal.

Those custom rifles REQUIRE custom ammo. Way false. If that Browning can hold 1 MOA with mass ammo, a custom rifle certainly can.

Dude brought up bullet spin based on barrel twist direction, just so that he could look "cool". I don't know of many manufacturers in North America that use anything other than a right hand twist. That was just noise.

Calling corrections for the hits and misses was crap.

Some of those groups went anything to write home about if they're wanting to brag on their rifle, not to mention they were high, low, left, right of where they should've been on the target.

Bet it's a pretty good rifle, they kind of got clownish on their promotion of it. Just my take.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 10:45 PM

I think this video is aimed at the guy that can't shoot worth a damn with a box store rifle so he goes and spends 4K on a custom precision rifle and still can't shoot worth a damn. The important thing to remember is a gun is always going to shoot better than the person shooting it.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I think this video is aimed at the guy that can't shoot worth a damn with a box store rifle so he goes and spends 4K on a custom precision rifle and still can't shoot worth a damn. The important thing to remember is a gun is always going to shoot better than the person shooting it.

Wait SAP, you just described ME!!! wife

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 10:58 PM

just watched the VID

I would rather have the Browning than the RPR..... just sayin

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 10:59 PM

bolt
Posted By: P_102

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 11:19 PM

1) I find it hard to believe that ALL their rifles will shoot MOA with ANY off the shelf ammo.

2) I know they make good guns but why are they almost never mentioned when the "most accurate off the shelf" question comes up?

P_102
Posted By: Cleric

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/18/16 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
1) I find it hard to believe that ALL their rifles will shoot MOA with ANY off the shelf ammo.

2) I know they make good guns but why are they almost never mentioned when the "most accurate off the shelf" question comes up?

P_102

1) no way would browning ever say say that

2) I think browning is viewed as a declining company

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/19/16 12:00 AM

omg
Posted By: Cleric

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/19/16 12:09 AM

Is it just me or does a 15x17 area seem big for an elk?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/19/16 01:01 AM

I have XBolt rifles, (and Tikka, Winchester, CZ), they are shooters. And they DO shoot well with several types of factory ammo and my handloads I custom load for each rifle. One of the XBolts I haven't tried loading for yet as it shoots VERY well with plain old Remington CoreLokts.

HOWEVER...

That video was a bit hinky. For the kinds of shooting I do, they are an excellent option. I do not shoot competition though, and if I did I'd want every bit of advantage I could get. Hence a custom. But comparing your mass production rifle to a custom using their rationale is pap.

Commercial sales video. I don't blame them, but they aren't trying to sell to those that know better.

Posted By: Kevin1

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/19/16 03:14 AM

Nice commercial video.
The truth is most of the bolt rifles sold today are under 1MOA.
At a 1000 yards, and if you take out all external variables, what matters the most is your reloads. Take 2 rifles. One is 1moa at 100Y and has a low SD, the other is 0.5MOA at 100 yards but has a high SD.
You'll get more hits at 1000Y with a 1 MOA gun with low SDs, vs a 0.5 MOA gun with high SDs.

You don't need a custom gun to shoot at 1000Y. What you need is a 1MOA rifle (any production gun), good ammo with low SD that's still supersonic at 1000y and a scope that tracks true.

This video is very missleading!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/19/16 05:00 AM

My $500 Savage goes 1000 yards on a 10 inch plate, with factory Federal match ammo. I can't do it all the time, but the rifle has proven it will and I can. I doubt that a custom rifle will make me better, maybe in the looks department, but not my shooting. Which is why I elected to not build a free action that I won and instead trade it for something I could use more.
Posted By: specialed309

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/19/16 09:01 AM

Good video. I've seen my share of non-customs stretch 1K with precision glass, hand loads and as the video states "the shooter!" I also believe boxed ammo "can" do just fine. But I didn't see them launching $18.00 Remi. CoreLokt. I tested some boxed ammo in the same bullet weight out of custom build and it kept tight group out to 800yds. I agree above though it is misleading to say that custom builds start at 4K. If you include precision glass maybe. But even Brownings elite rifles run at 1100. Put a 2,000.00+ scope on it you are in same ball park as custom build.
Posted By: spg

Re: MOA - Custom rifles vs. Line Production rifles - 08/19/16 09:37 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Are they building a good rifle? Looks that way. Can it hold MOA 100 to 1000? Maybe. Maybe, because it didn't consistently. Some of that was shooter/ spotter.

Mis-truths were told:

Custom rifles cost $4K to $10K. Not true. $1300 will get a plain action and stock, a high end barrel, chambered better than any mass produced will be. $2K is about what I have in three of mine with barrel, stock, bottom metal.

Those custom rifles REQUIRE custom ammo. Way false. If that Browning can hold 1 MOA with mass ammo, a custom rifle certainly can.

Dude brought up bullet spin based on barrel twist direction, just so that he could look "cool". I don't know of many manufacturers in North America that use anything other than a right hand twist. That was just noise.

Calling corrections for the hits and misses was crap.

Some of those groups went anything to write home about if they're wanting to brag on their rifle, not to mention they were high, low, left, right of where they should've been on the target.

Bet it's a pretty good rifle, they kind of got clownish on their promotion of it. Just my take.

What he said above:
True, I'm getting a 284 built now, bartlein barrel 400$, A5 stock 600$, rem 700 action 350$, bix and Andy trigger 425$, gunsmith labor ??? last one was 400$ he built for me. I already have the scope and mounts. A lot depends on the smith on how good the gun will shoot, then the quality of the brass and load development. IMO its money well spent and gives me peace of mind when taking a long shot on a animal.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum