Texas Hunting Forum

Glock barrels

Posted By: jhenderson

Glock barrels - 08/17/16 06:28 PM

Thinking about upgrading to something nicer than the factory but with so many out there what's the best. I'm leaning towards the zev or the Wilson combat.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Glock barrels - 08/17/16 07:10 PM

I upgraded my G20 and G29 with Lone Wolf barrels. They are ok. I wish I would have gotten the KKM pistol barrels. The Lone Wolf barrels are definitely a tighter chamber, and raise my pressures in the 10mm Auto in a factory pistol. Plus, I have has a few FTC with the barrels.

Re: Glock barrels - 08/17/16 07:13 PM

I've used lone wolf and kkm previously and while they do the job not much better or really any better than factory in my opinion.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Glock barrels - 08/17/16 07:41 PM

It's never occurred to me to change the barrel on a pistol unless for a threaded version. Are aftermarket barrels more accurate? What's the benefit?

Re: Glock barrels - 08/17/16 07:56 PM

Im sure the factory barrel is more accurate than I am but the Wilson claims a 2" at 25 yards. But more than likely it will be threaded as well
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Glock barrels - 08/17/16 07:59 PM

I did notice an accuracy improvement with the Lone Wolf barrels. But the main issue was the increased pressure over the factory chamber. I made the normal max load a little over max.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Glock barrels - 08/17/16 08:21 PM

My experience mirrors Chad's. The chamber is tighter on my Lone Wolf 9mm vs my factory Glock 9mm, but the leade is much shorter on the Lone Wolf as well. I can only load my 124gr 9mm to 1.13" OAL in the Lone Wolf instead of the normal 1.15" for Glocks.
Posted By: Loaded

Re: Glock barrels - 08/19/16 07:21 PM

I have a KKM in my G20. It didn't shoot much better with factory type ammo, but with reloads I worked up it's a little more accurate but only very noticeable from a rest at farther distances (probably because I'm not the greatest pistol shot ever). Have not had any reliability issues with it.

I have a friend who put a Lone Wolf in his G20 and didn't re-work his hot handloads that he had been running with the factory barrel. The Lone Wolf barrel increased the pressure enough that it actually blew up his gun - cracked the frame at the grip.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Glock barrels - 08/21/16 07:32 PM

I would love more info on this subject. I have a couple model 22's. Love em. I'm an excellent shot with a handgun. I don't have a suppressor, but would probably be interested in getting one some day. Which after market threaded barrel should I buy to increase accuracy? I'd like to buy one and not regret buying another later.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Glock barrels - 08/21/16 08:18 PM

Wilson combat claims a 2" guarantee at 25 yards. If I had a very solid rest I still couldn't do that on my own.

Re: Glock barrels - 08/21/16 08:19 PM

Never used the zev barrels but at the price they better be good too. Lone wolf and kkm are probably better than factory but not by much in my experience.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Glock barrels - 08/21/16 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
It's never occurred to me to change the barrel on a pistol unless for a threaded version. Are aftermarket barrels more accurate? What's the benefit?

This^^^

I always here how Glock is the best, but always here of people replacing the barrels. I never here of people replacing the barrels on a Sig unless it's for threaded.

I can't see a barrel making any semi auto noticeably more accurate. I will say I am a much better shot with my Kimber 1911 than my Sig P226, but that's a lot to do with the triggers.

I have also never shot my pistols from a bench, only standing. That being said, my 8-10" group at 25 yards has been enough for me to pass regular pistol quals every year.

I guess I don't see the need or understand why so many people want to change barrels.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Glock barrels - 08/21/16 10:37 PM

For the average shooter, there is absolutely no reason. If you're shooting factory ammo for punching paper, you're better off buying a bunch of ammo instead of a barrel.

But an aftermarket barrel can prevent Glock bulge, allow loading of 9mm major, and possibly give a noticeable increase in accuracy for the right shooter.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Glock barrels - 08/22/16 03:26 PM

There is nothing wrong with Glock barrels unless you are shooting lead bullets. Putting a match grade barrel in a plastic gun with a 7 pound trigger is like putting lipstick on a pig.

I have a Springfield XD in 357 that I converted to 40 s&w with a Stormlake conversion barrel. After shooting it from a bench rest, it seems to be more accurate with the factory barrel.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Glock barrels - 08/22/16 03:58 PM

Now I will say....I did have my Glock slide milled. It has no functional or practical use but I wanted it to have a unique look.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum