Texas Hunting Forum

Build old or buy new?

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 02:25 PM

I'm at a turning point. I have a Model 70 that I like that I want to make some changes to, but for not too much more money, I could just buy something new that would be more out-of-the-box ready. I am not overly attached to the rifle even though I've had it 22 years. It could be a backup gun if I left it alone. I would not sell it.

Should I mod it or save for something else?
Posted By: P_102

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 02:57 PM

If it's a 'toss up' for you, buy another. that way you will have a backup. P_102
Posted By: TDK

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 03:51 PM

Depends on if you like quality over quantity, or vice versa.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 04:34 PM

I didn't even read the post - just read the poll options and chose.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 04:38 PM

If you're fairly impartial, then I'd lean towards new because u get better value. I'd only build if there is any other reason than cost effectiveness.

Beit rifles, road bikes or cars; I've learned that building a custom is only worth it cost wise if you're going for a very high level of performance, even including no additional cost of base object. Otherwise, off the shelf/oem will be a better deal for equivalent performance. IMHO.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 04:40 PM

Depending what your looking at, i say buy new
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
If it's a 'toss up' for you, buy another. that way you will have a backup. P_102

This.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 05:52 PM

I'd build. I'd rather have 1 custom chambered, cut rifled barrel in my choice of length and profile, than 2 factory rifles.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I'd build. I'd rather have 1 custom chambered, cut rifled barrel in my choice of length and profile, than 2 factory rifles.

I tend to lean this way.

Great action you have there. A new cut rifled barrel chambered by a good smith, and a stock swap would pretty much make for a new rifle put together the way you like it.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 08:10 PM

I would build. Rather have something unique built to my liking. up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 08:14 PM

I also would build. I have several factory guns and I'm wanting a custom but cant justify it. This has given me a thought... sell one and customize one of my others and I can kill two birds with one stone.

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I also would build. I have several factory guns and I'm wanting a custom but cant justify it. This has given me a thought... sell one and customize one of my others and I can kill two birds with one stone.

Yup.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/16/16 11:42 PM

One great rifle is far better and more enjoyable than a few of pretty good quality.

Sell all of the mediocre stuff and do one right like you really want it and put a top end scope on it.

Probably costs less in the long run too.

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/17/16 12:57 AM

Yup, again.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/17/16 01:55 AM

I would vote to build as well. If all you want is another off-the-shelf gun, go for it. If you want something that will quite possibly be the most accurate rifle you own AND it gets you all that you're looking for (barrel length, contour, caliber, etc) build. And you'll still have that rifle you had for the last 22 years, just done the way you want it.
You only go through this life once. Might as well get exactly what you want. The cost will end up being inconsequential in the long run anyway.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/17/16 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Bbear
I would vote to build as well. If all you want is another off-the-shelf gun, go for it. If you want something that will quite possibly be the most accurate rifle you own AND it gets you all that you're looking for (barrel length, contour, caliber, etc) build. And you'll still have that rifle you had for the last 22 years, just done the way you want it.
You only go through this life once. Might as well get exactly what you want. The cost will end up being inconsequential in the long run anyway.

Darn, had to read this twice to make certain you weren't talking about a woman.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Build old or buy new? - 08/24/16 12:22 AM

Depends on the mods. Trigger and stock or re-barreling? If you love the rifle, that can be a big factor. If yu ever plan to sell it, hold off on the mods.

By the way, love the older model 70's.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum