Texas Hunting Forum

What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net

Posted By: WileyCoyote

What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 02:30 PM

Looking at picking up a loaner deer rifle and have narrowed the choices to these brands, in either a new or used gun. Caliber will be something I already have supplies and a scope for, ie: prolly a 270, 7mm or a 30 cal non magnum, whatever the best buy I can find is.

New/Used Marlin XL 7
New/Used - Howa Lightning, or other labled 1500 series, & found some new ones at $330.
New/Used - TC Venture
Used - Wby Vanguard (aka Howa'aby)but better finished than the Howa's
Used - Winchester M70 push feed XTR's & Fwt's
Used - Ruger 77's got close to winning a clean looking Tang'er at $200'ish

Not interested in a Remington or Savage unless I can buy it cheap enough to change the triggers 1st in M7's & M700's & will not buy a Ruger American.

In this price range everything has a history of issues, just some of them more than others. I could shoot a Remmy or Savage but don't know which ones to avoid or to buy and fix, except for a Remmy 710 that I owned for a week with problems that could not be fixed...too bad too as the stock fit me perfectly.

Tired of the heat & looking forward to pulling the trigger, making day dream Plans...and the sale rate on Gun Broker reflects lots of other daydreamers too.
Ron
Posted By: JJH

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 02:36 PM

If you find an XTR Fwt for $400, better jump on it!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 02:41 PM

Love my savage and rem both with factory tirggers ha.

For a loaner gun I would be looking for something in the softer recoiling spectrum, 25-06 or probably a short action based on 308 family. A sporter weight 270 or similar can have more pop than a lot of people care to deal with.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Love my savage and rem both with factory tirggers ha.

For a loaner gun I would be looking for something in the softer recoiling spectrum, 25-06 or probably a short action based on 308 family. A sporter weight 270 or similar can have more pop than a lot of people care to deal with.

X-2
Posted By: rickym

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 03:08 PM

Remington 783

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 03:09 PM

Finding more XTR M70 Sporters at the target price range than Fwt's & lots of Shadows that I'd have to fondle before buying. The M70's are interesting to me, but they have lots of pro's & cons to watch out for as the New Haven plant was failing, and finally closed. Seems like the late '80s & early 90's guns were the very best quality production wise.

The Howa & Wby's are heavier than I like but could handle the bigger LA calibers recoil in the tupperware Hogue stocks + I won't load them at MaxMax either, lots of them out there too...even some of the lb lighter early 1500 series labled as S&W's, and those are usually high polish blue & glossy wood stocks, like my oldest son shot in the 80's. I know they can be made to shoot well too with not too much TLC needed.
Ron
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 03:42 PM

Have you looked at the T/C Compass ?
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 05:48 PM

I've actually had decent luck with the 710's, and have one for sale or trade in 270,

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 06:02 PM

Not yet, haven't found one anywhere down here or in Tyler, Buffalo or Jacksonville. MSRP on 'em is right in my target though. Gonna be in Temple in a couple weeks so we'll see what we can find there.

Have had lots of positive suggestions in the $300+ area in Marlin XL or XS 7's. s'posed to be the final and best re creation fo the Savage Model 10, only with some Remmy features like the bolt handle knob and feels like a 700 ADL. Went looking for one that was advertised in Jacksonville last Saterday on the way home from a Antique Store safari in Tyler, and it had already sold.

Some good deals on Vanguard S1's on Gun Broker right now, missed a 7RMg that was a little rough but sold at enough under $300 to be able to put some work in it about 10 days ago, that'd made a good West Texas beater.

Just Plottin' & Plannin' as always.
Ron
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 07:15 PM

If you were closer to me...I have several .270 marlins in the x series that I bought years ago and now I have no place to hunt.

They are very good guns for the money.
Posted By: Judd

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 07:48 PM

TC Venture is in my opinion probably the best value out there and I don't own one but have shot a couple.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 10:55 PM

ruger american
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
ruger american

X2

That said, you're by interested in the American series so I'd say go with the Marlin.

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/09/16 11:52 PM

G'Scout look in your PM box...
Ron
Posted By: rjd

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 03:28 AM

Ron, if you can find a Venture at a good price, you can get a $75 refund as a veteran. I called and they said as long as I had a VA card or something showing my status as a vet, it was good-to-go.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 03:31 AM

Where about do you hunt in west Texas? Sent you a PM back, I'm sure you already saw it though.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 09:48 AM

T/C Compass.

Threaded barrel, tactical style bolt knob. Fat 3-lug bolt, 5R rifling, Model 70 style safety, 1 MOA guarantee, good quality rigid synthetic stock, decent trigger, under 400 bills.

This is the one that is hard to beat in the under 400 dollars category.

TC Compass
Posted By: rex47

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 12:23 PM

Ruger American PREDATOR not regular american
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 01:23 PM

I've tried majority of the cheap rifles.

How I'd rate them
1. Thompson venture
2. Weatherby/howa
3. Savage
4. Marlin
5. Ruger

I'm basing off of accuracy and feel to me. They all shoot great anymore so I'd just find what you'd want to use and go from there. All the sub $400 are getting pretty decent these days.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 01:25 PM

Curious as to why you ruled out the Ruger American? Seems to be a pretty good value for the money. Haven't shot the one I bought yet though.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 02:08 PM

Like has been said, they all shoot lights out these days. Most bargain rifles will outshoot the shooter.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 02:30 PM

I have a Mauser 98 sporter in .280 that I am going to part with. It's an excellent shooter and will include good steel Warne bases and Burris Zee rings. I'll be looking for a bit more than $400, but still a good deal. Let me know if you're interested, Ron.
Posted By: booradley

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 03:26 PM

I like the Vanguard/Howa platform. I'm also going to violate one of my own rules and make a suggestion not on your list. Don't own one, never was a Mossberg fan but I've shot one - Mossberg Patriot. I was impressed.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 05:39 PM

Worked up a load for a buddie's Mossberg in .223. I was shocked when I got it to shoot five rounds in one inch at 300 yards! It wreaked havoc on prairie dogs immediately afterwards, and has for two years.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 06:26 PM

I got an M77, it shoots pretty nice!

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 06:58 PM

rjd...GTK about the TC Veterans's $75 rebate...and Yes my VA card's pic even looks like me LOL.

When RAR's 1st came out I took a hard look at them, and came away with 2 primary negative thoughts that IMO makes them undersiable for me...something about their mag well feed system rattled like a Model T when you turned the T off, and I abosolutley hated the egg shaped forend that makes them impossible to keep from "rolling off" a flat surface, and has to be wedged into a softer sand bag kinda surface than my shooting bags are. That feature alone is what led me to look at a TC Venture to begin with. Picky picky picky I know, but I use my left hand to GRIP the forend as it lays in the flat of my palm, which helps me keep my left elbow in a straight line UNDER the forend/triger guard and tucked against my ribs (yeah theres some ribs there under that roll of the BH's good cooking) especially shooting off hand, or off a standing/braced object like a tree limb, fence post or shooting sticks. I like a more triangular forend shape, like the Venture's...or at least enough of a more flatter forend than a RAR has, so that I can wedge it into the v notch of my bench shooting bags & the gun won't roll if I remove my left hand from the forestock.

I have a bad habit of using the web of left hand thumb to wrap back under the butt and "cup" the toe of the rifle in soft web area...leaving the forend loose on the bags in smaller calibers. Tried that couple times with the old M70 26" 300Winnie tupperware, and even at 9 1/2lb all up I usually got reeal close to getting bit occasionaly, when I'd forget and crawl the stock some. Can't see the eyebrow scar anymore ...but it's there.
Ron

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 07:34 PM

CB ...those Compass features sound like a lot of gun for the money...haven't found any of 'em around here in Dogwood City or at Academy in Tyler last week, or Academy on Forest Lane off Central in Dallas the week before. Was in Larry Cokers place in Jax'ville too, and nuthin there. Gonna be in Temple on the 7th of next month....

There is a Gander Mtn in Tyler, might try there or at Mac's or whatever Marc calls the store now just south of the square on Elm.

Any of 'em at Bud's or Whittakers?

I a week or so I'm gonna be busier than a one armed paperhanger in a hurricane & off line for week 10 days so I'd like to find something now if I can...or wait until after I get thru with the new eye doc in Temple.
Ron

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/10/16 09:27 PM

Looks like Buds has some TC Compass models, one at 351, others at 330-something.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/11/16 01:28 AM

My BIL has a TC Venture 30-06, gun is accurate but heavy, trigger is heavy too

Like JG said Mossberg has gotten the message with their rile line
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/11/16 02:19 AM

Eruooptics and Grab a Gun are closing out on Tikka T3's for a little over $400 . I would spend a little extra and get a whole lot more rifle . I just bought a 243 and may go back and buy another in 260.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/11/16 02:37 AM

I bought my Weatherby Vanguard new for $400. Was 8 years ago, not sure if they have gone up.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/11/16 03:35 AM

I was looking into the ruger ranch is 300 black out. Seems like a cheaper version of the micro 7

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/11/16 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
My BIL has a TC Venture 30-06, gun is accurate but heavy, trigger is heavy too

Like JG said Mossberg has gotten the message with their rile line

A customer brought in a TC Venture and wanted the trigger pull at 2 pounds... It would not adjust down that far. I wound up having to disassemble the trigger and clip one coil off of the spring inside.

That did it.

I have a Mossberg Patriot in 30-06. A nice gun for the money, but not nearly as nice as a TC Venture. The plastic insert in the stock is an issue. The way it is designed, you could crack a wooden stock if you tightened the action down too much. It 'spreads' at the top as you tighten the action down. I use lock-tite and moderate torque on the Patriot's action screws, and recommend that everyone else do the same.

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/11/16 12:01 PM

Cattleman...the best Europtics prices I've seen on T3's is $498 & same at Whittakers in Lite's, but if I can buy a T3 at $100 bux less at Grab a Gun in Coppell, where I have to pay Texas State Sales Tax too... that's still worth chasing and burying the purchase with a credit card and a net never payoff.

The BH has been getting some new Zero Apr for 18 months card offers...might need to take out more than one LOLOL and a good way to get my voice raised surgically... being married to the same woman for 49 years is still no cure for terminal financial stupidity, just a sure knowledge of the total cost of the consequences.

we'll dig GaG's website out of the Fav's List right now and see what's what.

Gonna find time this AM to call TC and check rjd's Vet's Rebate deal too.

CB I think the TC website sez the Venture's trigger will only go 3-5lbs for an adjustment range...and GTK that a simple fix is possible.
Ron

Re: What brand to buy for a loaner deer rifle @ under $400 net/net - 08/11/16 12:41 PM

Cattleman...just looked a Grab a Gun and did not find Tikka listed anywhere, I looked at Clearance, Bolt Action Rifles and General Guns and no Tikka or Beretta listed anywhere. GaG did still have 12-14 listings for TC Icons that have been soldout for 2+ years...so not sure I found all th places that a Tikka could be found either...and why I don't look at their website but once/twice a year, as I've never found it to be accurate inventory wise. .

Europtics has Tikka Hunter Grades in some of the more standard RH cal's like 243. 270.'06 300WMg still at $498, and some others at slightly higher in $50 or $100 increments...shure makes it tough to NOT jump on a Hunter Grade 7Rmg at $498...'cause we all know this won't last very long. Dinnit look at any of the other configurations, but I'm sure the SS & blued Lites will have some inventory at the $498 price still on hand for a day or two...IMO they'll all be Gone ByeBye by or before Labor Day...Snooze Ya Looze in the Dog Days of Summer.
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum