Texas Hunting Forum

GOOD gunsmith in dfw?

Posted By: tx hunter

GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/06/16 10:57 PM

I need the locking block recess on the barrel extension of an older browning auto 5 lengthened and was wondering if anyone knows a competent gunsmith that knows what they're doing? Finding a good one is like searchin for a needle in a haystack. Thanks
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/06/16 11:07 PM

Larry Pockrus or Scott Mayse. Old school "gunsmiths"
Posted By: David Maas

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/06/16 11:53 PM

Aaron/TDK in Newark Texas,

Exactly what makes you think you need to lengthen the locking block?

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 12:33 AM

Check out the thread I started here. It's the locking block recess in the barrel extension that needs lengthening. If you have any thoughts or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=442463
Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 02:11 AM

Give Paul a call at Driving Nails in azle, he's definitely old school
Posted By: Blackout Bill

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 03:59 AM

Ditto on Larry. He's in Krum or thereabouts. Been there a few times and always does a good job.
Posted By: booradley

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 07:58 AM

I use Larry.

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 01:05 PM

I would still use Aaron, take both barrels to him. Aaron is as good as it gets and the kid is reasonable and honest. Every thing Aaron has done for me has been perfection, kid is talented.

But for Auto-5s I would actually use Art's in Peveley, Missouri. I have had him work on no less than a dozen Auto-5s and each one came back perfect and quickly. Did you install the 2 piece lifter? If you didn't, you can and you will have speed load like the '54 on Auto-5s.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: David Maas

But for Auto-5s I would actually use Art's in Peveley, Missouri. I have had him work on no less than a dozen Auto-5s and each one came back perfect and quickly. Did you install the 2 piece lifter? If you didn't, you can and you will have speed load like the '54 on Auto-5s.

It's an old Browning. It goes to Art's.

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 03:52 PM

I did install the two piece lifter. Bought the parts from Midwest gun parts. Works like a charm. Yeah, arts is the probably the best choice but honestly this is not too difficult and I'd like it done fairly quick. If I had the tools I could do it myself. How often is Aron on this forum? I'll shoot him a message.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: cxjcherokec
Give Paul a call at Driving Nails in azle, he's definitely old school

I don't know what he normally charges, but he quoted me over double what everybody else did to cut and thread a barrel, and was pretty rude on the phone.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/07/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Larry Pockrus or Scott Mayse. Old school "gunsmiths"

Buzz, Is Scott still around? I haven't talked to him in years. Last time I saw him he was working out of his house. I always liked him.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/08/16 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
Originally Posted By: David Maas

It's an old Browning. It goes to Art's.

This

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/08/16 05:02 AM

I would still call Aaron, he restored my 28ga Citori and the guy I got it from couldn't believe it was the same gun. He goes by TDK here on the forum.

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/08/16 05:45 AM

I dropped Aaron a line.
Posted By: booradley

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/08/16 06:06 PM

The regional manager over the Cabela's Gun Libraries told me Larry is premier Krieghoff gunsmith in the U.S. I was already using him because he's so close to me but that did give me confidence.

On the other hand if I wasn't already using someone I was happy with I would definitely try Aaron(TDK). I've read too many good things about him.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/14/16 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: booradley
I use Larry.

Larry's the Best and a Prince of a Guy up
Posted By: Zonker

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/25/16 02:01 AM

I used Larry once, never again.

Workmanship was terrible and the gun (Colt 1911) was worse after he played with it.

Re: GOOD gunsmith in dfw? - 08/25/16 02:57 AM

I ended up shipping it off to arts. Thanks for all the replies.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum