Texas Hunting Forum

2-stage Triggers

Posted By: chital_shikari

2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 04:20 AM

I shoot 2 Vanguards and I absolutely love the 2 stage triggers they sport. I've shot the Accutrigger and like that as well. THe T3 has a nice trigger as well.

I despise, however, the 770's trigger and am not too much of a fan of the 700's, either. Is the R700 trigger single or dual stage?

Any other two-stage triggers, factory or otherwise, on the market? Could it be that I didn't like the 700's trigger because I'm not used to it, and am atoned to the Vanguards'?

Thanks
Posted By: charlesb

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 11:10 AM

Personal preference looms large when it comes to judging which trigger, or style of trigger is best for you.

Back when I collected military weapons from the two world wars, I developed a strong preference for two-stage triggers. I consider the Savage Accu-trigger to be two-stage, with the sear interrupter blade serving as the first stage.

Other shooters are put off by two-stage triggers, preferring a single-stage trigger instead.

It's just a matter of what you like best, and what works out best for you. I can enjoy using any quality trigger, but if given a choice I would choose a two-stage model.

But that's just me.
Posted By: dee

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 11:23 AM

90% of all rifle are single stage. 2 stage is in a select few but that's it. There are a few aftermarket options but the come with a hefty price tag that's usually more expensive than their single stage counterparts.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 11:32 AM

I replaced all my Jewell triggers with two stage Huber's . More recently installed the new Timney two stage straight trigger in the Horizon 28 Nosler.
Bix-n-Andy makes a really nice two stage target trigger although expensive.

I originally decided to try them as I shoot a lot of AR's with two stage triggers and bought a bolt gun with one and liked it.
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 12:26 PM

I prefer a single stage trigger set to around 1.5 lbs, with no creep or over travel, I like the round breaking the second the trigger moves.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 12:59 PM

I love 2 stage triggers in bolt guns. all my personal guns are 2 stage triggers
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: cmorsch
I prefer a single stage trigger set to around 1.5 lbs, with no creep or over travel, I like the round breaking the second the trigger moves.

Yup. Did a trigger job on my AR15 making the two stage almost a one stage, and spend big money on a single stage Timney for the LR308. I don't care for two stage triggers. Tikka may be the best trigger in a mass produced rifle. The two rifles I have built on Tikka actions did not get the trigger replaced. Rem 700, I won't trust their trigger any more than Killary, and call it standard procedure to install a Timney single stage. Savage Accutriggers are good, and they are safe, it's just a shame they are attached to an action that quits ejecting very early in its life.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/01/16 01:36 PM

I wouldn't put one in a bolt gun, but it's just a preference thing. I really don't like the blade in my Ruger American but it's more of a backup gun anyway. My RRA LAR-15 has their 2-stage trigger and it doesn't bother me.
Posted By: booradley

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/02/16 05:12 PM

I don't like two stage triggers. That being said, we have a couple of Vanguard S2's in the family and I like their triggers fine. They feel like a single stage to me though.

As previously stated triggers are a matter of personal taste. I'm in the minority but don't care for the Accu-Trigger. My AR has a Timney single stage 3lb that I really like. Current Remington 700 triggers are crap. My one 700 has a Walker trigger that is nice.

Don't own a Tikka but they do have great triggers.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/02/16 08:35 PM

I prefer a light and crisp single stage on hunting rifles.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/03/16 02:30 PM

Accu-trigger..... Oh you mean crapu-trigger confused2

I love both single and 2 stage triggers, my AW has the finest 2 stage trigger i've ever used but my "hunting" rifle has a perfectly tuned Timney. I go between the two w/ out any issues
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/03/16 05:45 PM

Like some of the others I have both single and 2-stage triggers on different rifles. The Mannlicher Schoenauers has a sweet action and 2-stage trigger. The CZ 527s have good 2-stage triggers with a single set option. Most of my rifles have single stage triggers. When switching between them a few dryfires seems to help to remember what each feels like before shooting
Posted By: booradley

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/03/16 09:44 PM

I also like the single set trigger that is one my CZ 550.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/03/16 09:47 PM

I prefer a single stage but have a couple 2 stage that I can make work just fine. up
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/04/16 05:27 PM

So my bias is from my experience, then.

Am surprised to hear others also finding the R700's trigger crappy.

up
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/04/16 05:32 PM

My Sako TRG 42 is a great 2 stage trigger. Once you take up the slack of the first stage, the second stage part of the trigger is the same as a single stage is. You get to the point where the trigger is firm, and will break at the trigger setting (of about 1#-3# trigger weight.) Once you are past the first stage of the trigger, both are nearly the same.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: 2-stage Triggers - 08/05/16 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: booradley
I also like the single set trigger that is one my CZ 550.

Those are very good. I have a 98 Mauser that has a double-set trigger. I like set triggers (single or double) best of all as they give you an option of regular or hair triggers.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum