Texas Hunting Forum

Anybody have competition grade air rifles?

Posted By: WestTexasGolfer

Anybody have competition grade air rifles? - 07/21/16 10:53 PM

I am thinking about getting my nephew into the shooting sports 4-H in our town. I am not sure if there is a place to buy used competition style rifles for the 3 position or what exactly is the best route to go for this. CO2, PUMP, or what type of rifle is preferred? I do not want to spend a ton of money on a rifle to start as I am not sure if he will like the competition style shooting or not. Please anyone that can refer me to a site that sells used or new competition style rifles that would be good starter air guns and any information on this would be great.

Thanks,
Posted By: red bluff

Re: Anybody have competition grade air rifles? - 07/22/16 12:12 AM

Some clubs have club equipment that you can use till you get your feet on the ground. Call the county Agents office and get the contact info for the Adult Leader of the club. Daisy Avanti is in the 400 dollar range new and is the cheapest I am aware of. Avanti is not a 3 position gun but when my son was in 4h they allowed it to be used in 3p and sporter divisions. I would stay away from any CO2 gun, velocity changes to much during the life of the cylinder.
Posted By: WestTexasGolfer

Re: Anybody have competition grade air rifles? - 07/22/16 12:19 AM

Never thought about club equipment, I will look into it. We are looking at an Avanti but if he can share a gun until we know if he is going to like it that would be a much better option.

Thanks,
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Anybody have competition grade air rifles? - 07/23/16 12:25 AM

Walther makes some world class air guns but they are pricey.
Their parent company owns RWS too.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Anybody have competition grade air rifles? - 07/23/16 02:02 AM

Beeman makes some great ones.. I love mine..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum