Texas Hunting Forum

Question about a Remington 870

Posted By: Stratgolfer

Question about a Remington 870 - 07/19/16 02:34 AM

FIL has had This gun for about 2 years in his closet without shooting it. He bought it new as a home defense gun. I told him I would take it out to the lease this weekend to run it through its paces. It is the 12 gauge tactical model. Fill me in to break in a new shotgun. Not done that before, have always shot someone else's and don't own one myself. GO.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/19/16 02:47 AM

I'm not aware of any break in for a pump shotgun, but you should definitely field strip it to make sure all of the factory grease is cleaned out of it. Other than that, just shoot the heck out of it.
Posted By: bside

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/19/16 03:59 AM

yeah, just shoot it.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/19/16 04:22 AM

Clean and function test it, then your good, there isn't much that goes wrong with an 870. Working the action back and forth will slick it up some but thats about it.
Posted By: Baumwoll

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/19/16 07:28 AM

Clean and let loose on catus,rabbits, old barrels and clean again. The best thing a pump has going for it is if you can pump it it shoots.
Posted By: AvianQuest

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/20/16 01:37 AM

As others said, just shoot it. All the moving parts will be a little tight and even have microscopic imperfections and all that will smooth out over time.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/20/16 09:59 PM

I'll add, I'd run something through the bore whether it's been cased or not. At least look through it just to make sure there's not a rat nest in there or a roll of dimes or something.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/21/16 03:43 PM

Shoot a bunch of birdshot rounds thru it, then quietly fill with slugs and hand to wife / kiddo to 'fire a few' ... up

(be sure to post the video here ...) roflmao
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/21/16 07:52 PM

I would check to make sure barrel is free of obstruction, make sure I had shells of the proper length for the gun and go shoot it. Why would you clean out the factory grease? its there for a reason.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Question about a Remington 870 - 07/21/16 08:02 PM

Is it an 870, or an Express? If it's express, it will be nasty from manufacturing, and the grit wears on the trigger group components really fast, really bad... If it's express, it needs a really deep cleaning thoroughly inlcuding the trigger group and housing
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum