Texas Hunting Forum

Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind

Posted By: glocker17

Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/16/16 12:21 AM

I picked up a Basic Savage Mark II 22lr a while back on the cheap. It was unusual in that it had a matte finish rather than the traditional blue. Finally got around to getting it cut and threaded and it came out nice. Sporter barrel and plastic stock make for a light weight gun. Got $215 in the rifle including the cost of the thread job, picked up a 4x Bushnell scope from Academy yesterday and it is quite impressive for what it is. It was by far the clearest and brightest sub $100 scope I could find. Slapped a older Coastal Passport can I bought many years ago on it and its ready for the range. It will be my dedicated deer stand varmint removal tool. I have had lots of coons, crows, and fox squirrels that need thinning out. Not a bad set up for$315!

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/16/16 12:55 AM

Very cool varmint rig. Well done.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/16/16 04:09 AM

Very cool.

When we had land, my dad would just take an air rifle along for those. I'm gonna bet this set up is significantly better than that, range and sound wise. Good stuff!
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/16/16 08:23 AM

They make a Savage Mk II FVSR that comes threaded that looks a lot like that one. About the same price as what your cost after threading. It's very accurate. I ended up changing the stock on it so I have more into mine. Great for taking out varmints at the feeder. Mine has a cheap Mueller scope with adjustable turrets.

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/16/16 01:11 PM

I like it! Well played. up

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/16/16 03:11 PM

I actually have the FVSR as well, but its quite a bit heavier to carry around. Mine is in 22WMR and has dispatch a few feral hogs around the feeder. Although it was more expensive, my total outlay included scope and rings.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/17/16 02:52 AM

I have the FVSR as well and love taking jackrabbits and racoons suppressed from my blind. I've shot plenty of rabbits with mine and it seems to have no affect on deer movement.

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/17/16 02:56 AM

Thats good to know, I have some monster 20% protein feed raccoons that need to go.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/20/16 05:53 AM

Nice rifle, I need something like that myself.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Budget Suppressed 22 for the deer blind - 07/20/16 02:50 PM

nothing like a suppressed 22!
I have a CZ455 and a Savage in 22 mag,run a Spectre II on them.
Can't wait for the Gemtech Mist integrally supppressed barrel for my 1022 to clear.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum