Texas Hunting Forum

Pistol Recomendations?

Posted By: redchevy

Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:00 PM

I am considering buying a pistol to take a CC class with. I would probably be looking at a 9mm of some sort, want something my wife will be able to shoot as well.

I'm not familiar with auto pistols in the slightest. I have cabelas points that I would like to use for this so what are good makes/models cabelas has to offer? I don't need the top of the line fancy dancy one, but don't want a throw away or a piece of junk. Thanks for any help.

Matt
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:19 PM

Ruger LC9S, your wife can shoot it comfortably
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:22 PM

Springfield XDM, Glock, Walther PPQ are all worth looking at and will be in the 5-600 dollar range.

It might be hard to find one that both of you like to shoot because of hand size differences.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:22 PM

Many great options out there in today's market. My first response to this question is usually from the 25+ year get of the Harris county sheriffs dept and my chl instructor several years ago. Because of limited lanes at the range he split the class into 2 groups for the shooting portion. He took all the Sig, Glock and H&K people because he knew he wouldn't have any gun related issues in all the years he's done this.

It's not to say there are t other good options but IMHO these three are in a tier of their own for greatness. I personally shoot my Glock more than any other and I have about 7 centerfire auto pistols.

Good luck as this thread can and will go off in many directions

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:31 PM

Thanks for the info, are any known for lowest maintenance?
Posted By: A2B

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

I would say glock. I have several and never clean them. I just wipe the outside down and put them in the safe. Lots of rounds and no issues.
Posted By: one73maro

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:58 PM

Glock 19!
Posted By: janie

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 02:59 PM

Glock.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 03:28 PM

I'm a Springfield fan, but also like the Ruger LC9. Everyone is different, you both need to handle as many as you can.

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 03:37 PM

Its my toy, I just want something that will not rip her wrist off when she shoots it. I'm not concerned about hand size, my wife is 5'11" she doesn't have small hands.

Must say before asking my initial persuasion was that glock was probably my best bang for the buck and reliable, but I'm not big on the looks of them. On the other hand its purpose is to function for the use intended not look purdy.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 03:37 PM

Stoeger cougar
Posted By: rickym

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 03:38 PM

Stoeger cougar, though it may not be as small as what your looking for
Posted By: centxhunting

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 04:26 PM

Springfield XDM! Comes in a good range of sizes, shoots great, and worth the money
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 04:31 PM

Anyone on here can mention any pistol in production as the "best" pistol. But how do you know it's right for YOU!!?? Go to the store, look at the variety of pistols, see what fits your hand (or your wife's, which will be the main factor) and what features you want or like (or dislike). Once you have a few narrowed down, go to a range that rents these pistols so you can actually shoot them. The smaller one's will kick more and have a snappier recoil. The larger one's will have less recoil, but will be a larger pistol. Once you do this, you will start to find a few that you like.

I personally, went all Glock. They are not a sexy pistol, but they flat out work and work well. I don't look at a pistol as a pretty object. I look at it as a tool, and I use and carry my tools every day. A Glock 19 would be a good start, since it's a semi compact pistol, and you can get a good grip with it. If you want the full size, the G 17 wold be a good one.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 04:57 PM

Beretta PX4 Storm compact model.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 07:58 PM

1911, glock, xd, m&p, gp100, sr9, k frame smith, sig... just go pick one.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/15/16 08:19 PM

Ya'all both need to go to a range that rents pistols like the arms room and then shoot several and pick your favorite. As you can see everyone is different.

I like fancy smancy when it comes to guns because they hold their resale value better
!
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/16/16 03:22 AM

Smith and wesson shield. You can get one for at least 100 less than the Springfield, HK, glock mentioned already.

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/16/16 04:07 AM

I love DA revolvers, always have. I love them, but I am a believer in quality over quantity. Took my teenagers to the pistol range again a few weeks ago and was again amazed at how many folks dumped magazines and their shots were all over the place. It was us, and 3 LEO's. We pulled our targets in and got some funny looks several times peep I beat into my kid's brains to be quick but make every shot count. One two BOOM, one two BOOM. Others are dumping mags like crazy. Got some compliments and answered "We have your backs Sir". Again, got more funny looks but that came from the heart. up Moral of the story is...well you know. Shoot a gun you can hit with. Practice practice..I'd rather put 1 or 2 in the kill zone with a 38/357 than 12-20 sprayed from a 9mm...
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/16/16 05:27 AM

Look at bud's selection of used handguns. They usually have some mp9c's or compact glocks in the sub 400 range
Posted By: booradley

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/16/16 09:39 AM

I sell handguns at Cabela's. Number one criteria is to get what feels best in your hands. The major manufacturers all make excellent firearms today, there is no way it can be definitely said that one brand is better than another. I'm talking Glock, Ruger, S&W, Sig, Springfield, Walther, H&K, CZ. I'm sure there is one I've forgotten. In a compact the Ruger SR9C is what I probably sell the most of when people are looking for a handgun to fit a man's hands as well as a woman's. In a subcompact it would probably be a Shield. Glock grips are too big for most women in my experience. There are of course exceptions to every rule.

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/16/16 09:42 AM

The Stoeger Cougar is a good firearm. My daughter carries one but she has very large hands. They also aren't sold by Cabela's.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/16/16 11:09 AM

Another vote for the Stoeger Cougar, here.

Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/16/16 10:33 PM

Im with Chad. Glock all the way. They flat out work. As for them being ugly...that can be fixed

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Came across this video of a guy testing a full auto Glock. Its entertaining:

Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/17/16 12:01 AM

G19 or G26, Sig P226, H&K VP9 are some of my favorites. Go shoot as many as you can, should make the decision much easier.
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/17/16 12:01 AM

I have carried Smiths, Sigs etc but I have finally settled on Glocks. They work and are very simple to use. I think the 9mm Glock 43 is the perfect carry gun. Simple, compact and it shoots an effective round.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/17/16 12:04 AM

Yup. I used to be flat out against Glocks until I started messing around with them, trying to see what all the hoopla was about. Now I have a few. The more I shoot them the more I REALLY like them. cheers

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/17/16 12:14 AM

The PX4 full size and compact have the same operating system as the Cougar. The subcompact PX4 has the short recoil system that most semi's have.

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/17/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: FWBanger
I have carried Smiths, Sigs etc but I have finally settled on Glocks. They work and are very simple to use. I think the 9mm Glock 43 is the perfect carry gun. Simple, compact and it shoots an effective round.

I'm still struggling with that. I am a fan of the 38/357/40/45..BUT, my every day shorts and flip flops pocket carry is a 380...so I might as well go ahead and buy a 9mm. bang
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/18/16 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
G19 or G26, Sig P226, H&K VP9 are some of my favorites. Go shoot as many as you can, should make the decision much easier.

As much as I love my Sig MK25 (P226) I wouldn't want to carry it. Although, I don't have my LTC yet, I just feel it would be fairly heavy for a full time ccw. I do carry it anytime I'm out on the lease and its a chunk but I'm not trying to conceal it either.

I'm looking at a 9mm Shield for when I do get my ltc. I like the way it feels and its nice and slim since I sit most of the day at work.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Pistol Recomendations? - 07/18/16 04:26 PM

Glock 19
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum