Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for new hunting rifle

Posted By: krmitchell

Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 02:28 PM

I need a new rifle to suppress. I want something that is relatively inexpensive to shoot but I will also be hunting with it this year and need it to be good to 300 yrds. Hoping for something that already has a threaded barrel and would prefer a synthetic stock as I'm a little to hard on my equipment to ruin another nice wood stock. Not looking for a semi-auto as I have plenty of those as well. I'll be shooting WT, hogs, varmints etc. but would like something that could take bigger animals. Oh and I'm not interesting in a 300WM smile. Could anyone offer some suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 02:43 PM

As I'm reading your post, I'm thinking 308. After I'm done reading your post, I'm thinking 308. The 308 isn't a sexy round as some newer stuff, but it's inexpensive to shoot, shoots very good, and lots of bullet choices. If you wanted something a little more exotic, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good option. I have been hunting with a 300 blk out bolt gun out to 300 yards with no problem the last few years. Last day of my season I shot a crow at a lasered 245 yards, and dropped it with my 125 grain Hornady SST ammo.

The caliber choices are plentiful, and each person will have their own favorites. Do what I do, and work your problem/question backwards. Start with a rifle platform or bullet you want to shoot. Then, how fast do you want to push that bullet will determine the case used. Do you want a short action or long action rifle? Once you answer these questions, that will narrow down the choices.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
As I'm reading your post, I'm thinking 308. After I'm done reading your post, I'm thinking 308. The 308 isn't a sexy round as some newer stuff, but it's inexpensive to shoot, shoots very good, and lots of bullet choices. If you wanted something a little more exotic, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a good option. I have been hunting with a 300 blk out bolt gun out to 300 yards with no problem the last few years. Last day of my season I shot a crow at a lasered 245 yards, and dropped it with my 125 grain Hornady SST ammo.

The caliber choices are plentiful, and each person will have their own favorites. Do what I do, and work your problem/question backwards. Start with a rifle platform or bullet you want to shoot. Then, how fast do you want to push that bullet will determine the case used. Do you want a short action or long action rifle? Once you answer these questions, that will narrow down the choices.

Thanks Chadd, 308 is what kept coming to mind when I was thinking about this over the past couple weeks. The reason I'm wrapped up with cheap bullet choices is because I've been hunting with a STW and it ain't cheap to shoot lol. It is sexy and flat shooting though smile. Short action is fine, I've got a few bigger calibers already and probably not really looking to go the magnum route I don't think. I'm going to be using a Specwar 7.62 on whatever I get so barrel length is another consideration I didn't factor in. Prefer not to start out with something at 24in or I'll never get it out of the blind window in time.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:03 PM

Serious question here: Do you really hunt suppressed in the sense that you use subsonic ammunition? I have a hard time killing jack rabbits when hunting suppressed (subs).

Otherwise if your meaning that you are looking to suppress a supersonic load then that would make it easier to provide you with options/opinions.

There have been some super good deals on 6.5mm projectiles over the last year, if it were me and I was looking for something that delivers high energy at 300 yards I would go with a bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor and reload for it. All in all if you don't reload you can kill all day / any animal with factory Hornady SST ammo in this caliber for 22.00 a box.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:03 PM

I'd go with a 6.5 Creedmoor if you can find one for a good price. If not a 308 Rem 700 AAC-SD.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Pig_Popper
Serious question here: Do you really hunt suppressed in the sense that you use subsonic ammunition? I have a hard time killing jack rabbits when hunting suppressed (subs).

Otherwise if your meaning that you are looking to suppress a supersonic load then that would make it easier to provide you with options/opinions.

There have been some super good deals on 6.5mm projectiles over the last year, if it were me and I was looking for something that delivers high energy at 300 yards I would go with a bolt action 6.5 Creedmoor and reload for it. All in all if you don't reload you can kill all day / any animal with factory Hornady SST ammo in this caliber for 22.00 a box.

No subsonics, I've got a couple .300 blks for that and yes, if the animal isn't at exactly the right distance it is difficult to calculate where you need to aim. Missed a really nice bobcat (5 times) shooting a bolt .300 blk and not realizing I was closer to it than I thought I was. All supersonic, just want to be able to shoot without ear protection if I need to. Also, I won't be reloading.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I'd go with a 6.5 Creedmoor if you can find one for a good price. If not a 308 Rem 700 AAC-SD.

That barrel gets heavy if walking around a lot

I have been kicking around a similar idea. I am looking at model 7 lately.

Other ideas would be a 18ish inch 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel if you wanted gasser

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

That barrel gets heavy if walking around a lot

I have been kicking around a similar idea. I am looking at model 7 lately.

Other ideas would be a 18ish inch 6.8 spc or 6.5 Grendel if you wanted gasser

No gas, weight isn't a very big concern to me. Ammo availability would be a priority over that.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:25 PM

I decided to pull my 30-30 lever out. Should be fun smile
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
I decided to pull my 30-30 lever out. Should be fun smile

That's what I was thinking. You could even get that ugly Mossberg Zombie edition to put the can on. Cheap and already threaded. 30-30 ammo is about as inexpensive and available as it gets.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:46 PM

I don't know why I forgot about the Ruger American Predator. Get one in 308 if you want a shorter gun or get the 6.5 CM. It's a very solid platform and is only about $350.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 03:49 PM

I don't know why I forgot about the Ruger American Predator. Get one in 308 if you want a shorter gun or get the 6.5 CM. It's a very solid platform and is only about $350.

I was just looking at these online.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 04:33 PM

Ruger american predator or savage hog hunter in .308 would be good cheap options.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

That's what I would do. They're nice little hunting rifles that are affordable and they come with a threaded barrel and a scope rail. Hard to beat for a cheap hunting rig.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 07:16 PM

The ranch has a 16in barrel in 300 bo it you wanted a shorter barrel
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 07:17 PM

I was going to suggest the Ruger American Predator. Barrels might be a little long, but they are low cost, threaded barrels, synthetic stocks, and available in 308 or 6.5 Creedmoor. If you want something shorter, the 6.5 Grendel could fit the bill. The other two are probably better for large game.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 07:35 PM

I read somewhere online (can't remember where now) that the weight of a suppressor on the ruger was causing people issues and accuracy issues. Anyone heard of this?
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 07:43 PM

Browning X-Bolt; this is what I have and I am very happy with it. I have a SilencerCo Harvestor and it makes a great combo. I think it is the best of the production rifle that fits your requirements. Tikka also has one but it is a bit to tactical looking for me. Plus the Browning Trigger is better in my opinion. The Ruger and the Savage are just not good rifles. Which sucks because I like both Ruger and Savage.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 07:48 PM

I had the 18" American Predator in 308 and didn't have any accuracy issues with my supressor attached. POI changed but the group size did not.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 08:35 PM

I had the 18" American Predator in 308 and didn't have any accuracy issues with my supressor attached. POI changed but the group size did not.

Same here.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 06/30/16 11:48 PM

Tikka T3 CTR in .308. It has a 20" threaded barrel. Telflon coated bolt and action feeds like butter. Good factory trigger. Mine shoots sub 1 MOA with factory ammo.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/01/16 12:06 AM

savage hog hunter in 308 is an option but that Tikka mentioned above sounds like the real deal.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/01/16 12:43 AM

I just put a suppressor on a ruger scout 308 and while heavy it balances nice with a full mag. Not a cheap rifle but it's my banging around set up and it fits the bill for me.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/01/16 12:56 AM

Since you want available ammo, I gotta go with .308

That said, find the rifle you like not worrying about barrel length. Take it to a Smith, and cut it down to 16", as well as having it threaded. Done deal.

I have to also recommend a Tikka. They are my favorite mass produced action, and have built two semi-customs off Tikka actions. Great action, great trigger, very good shooting barrels. With a Remington, you'll have to add a $100 Timney trigger.

Tikka T-3 Lite in .308, cut it down to 16".
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/01/16 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

That said, find the rifle you like not worrying about barrel length. Take it to a Smith, and cut it down to 16", as well as having it threaded. Done deal.

I have to also recommend a Tikka. They are my favorite mass produced action, and have built two semi-customs off Tikka actions. Great action, great trigger, very good shooting barrels. With a Remington, you'll have to add a $100 Timney trigger.

I have to agree.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/01/16 02:18 AM

I have the Tikka CTR. I wanted a second .308. Something a little lighter and more mobile than my 700 mil spec. Way exceeded my expectations. I shoot factory Hornady SST, 165 gr. and it literally stacks shot on shot. It's threaded, semi heavy barrel, has a synthetic stock, great trigger, smooth action, over sized bolt handle, rail mount and a 10 rpund magazine, all factory. Get one, put some good glass on it and you'll have a great hunting rig.
Posted By: specialed309

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/01/16 10:17 AM

.30 Cals are affordable and will def. take down all animals listed. Since you mentioned 300 yard shot I'd avoid the 30/30, 300 BLK, 7.52x39 but your standard .308 and 30.06 will take care of all you'll ever need at that distance.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/01/16 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I have to agree.

Yep.
Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 07/02/16 05:58 PM

I have a ruger americian preditor in 243, awesome rifle in my opinion, tightist group I ever shot was with this rifle I have to disagree with statement they are not good rifles, for their price I think they are great performers. also have savage model 10 18 inch threaded barrel in 308 win very accurate handy carbine. sounds like would fit your bill for sure. look into both rifles a sythitic stocked rifle you can bang around in truck but still brings home the becon or venision , got to be good

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/12/17 02:41 AM

Been a while since I talked about this but found the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 on sale for $400, went ahead and bought one. Figured I'd rather spend the extra money on some nicer glass than a little more on the rifle. Thanks for all the opinions and I'll let everyone know how it works out. I already have a Ruger American Ranch in .300 blk and love it so I doubt I'll be disappointed. One other question I've got is if the Timney replacement trigger is worth it on this? For 129$ seems kinda steep.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/12/17 03:15 AM

Good choice from what I have read. As to the Timmney being worth the price, they are good triggers and really like the ones I have. If you are happy with the factory trigger keep it if not it is hard to go wrong with the Timmney.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/12/17 03:27 AM

I've got the Timney springs in my 22-250 and like them but it is an extra 100$ on top of that for the full trigger assembly. Probably will hold off on that for now.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/12/17 04:22 AM

One thing about after market items is you can add at a later time if you deem it needed. A good trigger does a lot for accuracy though.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/12/17 10:17 AM

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/12/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
One thing about after market items is you can add at a later time if you deem it needed. A good trigger does a lot for accuracy though.

Very good point. I've been pretty happy with the stock trigger in ruger american ranch so I may see how I do with it for a while.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/13/17 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

+3, already threaded too
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/13/17 12:40 PM

Remington 700 AAC 308. Mine was a shooter right out of the box. I did a few upgrades and it is very accurate out to 500. Haven't shot it past that. It has smoked coyotes , hogs, white tails and mule deer. Been hand loading Hornady 150 SST's.
Posted By: Owenator

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/13/17 09:24 PM

Been thinking about the same thinking I'm going 6.5 in 18". Distance and knock down power
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/14/17 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49

I have the Hog Hunter in 308, RAP in 6.5 CM and 308. All topped with Vortex Crossfire 4x12. Solid inexpensive shooters and they are all threaded for suppressor or a brake. Have a Viper on Backorder for the 6.5 and have already dropped it in a Boyd's.
The factory stocks are fine for hunting, I just wanted to do something different with the 6.5.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/14/17 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Daddy K
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49

I have the Hog Hunter in 308, RAP in 6.5 CM and 308. All topped with Vortex Crossfire 4x12. Solid inexpensive shooters and they are all threaded for suppressor or a brake. Have a Viper on Backorder for the 6.5 and have already dropped it in a Boyd's.
The factory stocks are fine for hunting, I just wanted to do something different with the 6.5.

Basically the setup I'm going to have. Have a vortex viper ordered as well for the 6.5.
Posted By: HankePanky

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 04/24/17 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
As I'm reading your post, I'm thinking 308.

Same here. If you hand load, you can even load subsonic rounds with the same ballistics as a .300 BLK, all in the same gun.

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 08/18/17 01:13 AM

Old thread but I ended up buying a Ruger American predator in 6.5 CM. Found a vortex viper 6.5-20 on sale at Cabelas and threw that on. Finally got to shoot it today and with factory hornady loads I shot a 3/4 inch group at 100 yards. I'm happy with it, I adjusted the trigger but will likely replace it at some point. Didn't get to shoot it with the suppressor on it but happy so far. Good gun for the money.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 08/18/17 01:27 AM

great choice!!
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Looking for new hunting rifle - 08/19/17 04:47 PM

Chad ...your PM box is over limit...Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum