Texas Hunting Forum

Another "truck Gun" question

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 02:15 AM

Other than 30 rounds fired very fast, what advantage does an AR have over say, a, Ruger American Compact 20" .223 or the new Howa mini action, in .223 or even a 6.5 Grendel with a nice 1-6 optic (inexpensive)???
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 02:23 AM

I'm the wrong guy to ask.

My truck gun is a 6.5 CM encore with 20" barrel. Safer loaded platform
Posted By: JJH

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 02:54 AM

The only time I wish I had an AR is when I find a sounder of 20+ hogs under the feeder.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 03:33 AM

Buzz, the Howa 6.5 is sure tempting but the 223 at Cabela's for I think 389.99 sure is tempting
Posted By: chalet

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 03:45 AM

The 30 shots runs a distant 3rd to fast follow up shots, and more importantly being able to stay on target by not having to work the bolt. I thought AR's were kind of silly also til the 1st time I had about 20 pigs show up under a feeder. They definitely have their place.

As far as truck guns, also, AR's work because the flash hider keeps the barrel out of the grit on your floorboard, they are short and handy enough to get out the window, and it doesn't matter a whole lot if the finish and plastic get beat up.

Just my ..02.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: chalet
The 30 shots runs a distant 3rd to fast follow up shots, and more importantly being able to stay on target by not having to work the bolt. I thought AR's were kind of silly also til the 1st time I had about 20 pigs show up under a feeder. They definitely have their place.

As far as truck guns, also, AR's work because the flash hider keeps the barrel out of the grit on your floorboard, they are short and handy enough to get out the window, and it doesn't matter a whole lot if the finish and plastic get beat up.

Just my ..02.

You just saved me a whole bunch of typing.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 06:47 AM

My truck gun is a 20 gauge, It is better to shoot snakes with bird shot. I also have buck shot and slugs. I killed hogs out to 45 yards with the slugs and coyotes out to 75 yards with slugs.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 08:39 AM

watch our for bras flying against your windshield using an ar in a vehicle
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Just my ..02.

Yup.

And with the collapsible but stock and 16" barrel they can get small, for storage.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

You know, I've never been concerned about bras flying against my windshield. Sounds interesting, though. What were the circumstances when it happened to you? banana
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 01:26 PM

Hard to beat a Sig 556 for compact, reliable, and fast
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 02:29 PM

Three letters....SBR

AR barrels are the exact opposite of weiners. Once she has seen and experienced your shorty she'll never go back to your long ones.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Just my ..02.

Yup.

And with the collapsible but stock and 16" barrel they can get small, for storage.

I call bs on this. It is all about the additional gear you can attach to the longer quad rails. Thermal scopes, red dots, 4x25x50 variable for reaching out, BUIS, high intensity lights, beer can opener, Yeti cups, camera and emergency flare kit. Sure you can duct tape the items with new camo tape on your traditional sporting stock, but then if you need to arrange items you have to carry a Benchmade folder to cut the tape plus an extra roll of tape. cheers flag
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Another "truck Gun" question - 06/18/16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JJH
Originally Posted By: colt45

You know, I've never been concerned about bras flying against my windshield. Sounds interesting, though. What were the circumstances when it happened to you? banana

worthless
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum