Texas Hunting Forum

saw something really "COOL" at the range

Posted By: Buzzsaw

saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/16/16 10:52 PM

A gentleman, much brighter than I, had rigged a computer "cooling" fan to a PVC tube which fit over the barrel. He had it powered by a deer feeder battery. After he shot a group, he would set the fan over the barrel and let the fan "cool" the barrel. it was genius
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/16/16 11:36 PM

That's when you shoot gun 2 and 3

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/16/16 11:39 PM

up
Posted By: okie44

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/17/16 12:10 AM

http://www.btibrands.com/product/accumax-ar-15-barrel-cooler/
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/17/16 02:41 PM

I've heard that there are peeps out there who don't have guns 2 and 3, only #1. I do not believe in monogamy with my guns.
Posted By: P_102

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/17/16 02:45 PM

There's a guy that sells those at Elm Fork...no idea how much. P_102
Posted By: dee

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/17/16 03:04 PM

There's one out that is a chamber flag and barrel cooling fan too.
Posted By: Night Hunting TV

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/17/16 05:12 PM

Doesn't sound hard to do at all.

Get a magazine and rip the internals out. Cut a hole in it the size of the pc fan. Mount the fan. Rack the magazine and plug the fan into a 6 volt feeder battery.
Posted By: Judd

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/17/16 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: dee
There's one out that is a chamber flag and barrel cooling fan too.

http://barrelcool.com/

Stick used to carry a bottle of CO2 around to cool his 6.5x284 after a long string in the summer. He rigged up a bore guide that had a hose that would blow it down the bore to cool.

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/17/16 10:30 PM

pretty cool......get it........cool
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/18/16 02:33 AM

I'm sure that there are folks on here that know way more than I. I've got to believe that rapid heating then equally rapid cooling to your barrel is not good for your barrel.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/18/16 11:49 AM

I don't think the temps are high enough to matter.
Posted By: Judd

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/18/16 03:33 PM

It's not a rapid cooling...most of these devices are just making certain air is moving down the bore. Which in turn will cool it faster and especially faster than no outside air being pushed down the bore. I've always set them upright when I could thinking the hot air rises will pull air into the bore...I know they cool quicker with bolt out and positioned vertically then sitting horizontally. But again, not near as fast as a fan blowing cooler (think ambient) air down the bore.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 06/18/16 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
I'm sure that there are folks on here that know way more than I. I've got to believe that rapid heating then equally rapid cooling to your barrel is not good for your barrel.

Cooling won't hurt it. Ten rounds in 90 seconds will hurt it, but cooling it back down to shoot again, won't.

I've wrapped ice water soaked chamois around barrels so that I can move on with load development. I need to build one of these air coolers though.
Posted By: elephantman

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 07/06/16 02:48 AM

Is there an ideal temp to get down to before firing again? And if 10 shots in 90 seconds will hurt the barrel (I'm assuming this varies per cartridge case size) then what is the upper limit on heat. I love watching Iraqveteran88's torture test videos, but what is the threshold for preserving accuracy?

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 07/07/16 12:46 AM

I have a hunting rifle which shoots a 140gr VLD @ 3000, It has a number 4 contour barrel. The builder said to me, my rifle is built as a "hunting" rifle and he wouldn't recommended me shooting it in a timed rifle match. RE: F-Class Open.

Throat could be damaged
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: saw something really "COOL" at the range - 07/07/16 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49

Cooling won't hurt it. Ten rounds in 90 seconds will hurt it, but cooling it back down to shoot again, won't.

I've wrapped ice water soaked chamois around barrels so that I can move on with load development. I need to build one of these air coolers though.
compressed air...run the tube through an ice chest then to the barrel,using a brass nozzle to stick in the chamber is what we use,
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum