Texas Hunting Forum

pillar bedding?

Posted By: tx hunter

pillar bedding? - 05/08/16 05:43 PM

Picked up remmy 700 in a McMillan a5. Action was full length bedded (marine-Tex) but they did not install pillars. Every time I've ever bedded a rifle I did both pillars and bedding and I did them at the same time. My question, can I install a set of pillars even though this stock already bedded? Thanks.
Posted By: MClark

Re: pillar bedding? - 05/08/16 08:09 PM

Yes.
Pillars can be installed after the rifle has been bedded.
Not much different than doing it before, bedding may need some rework around the pillars.
Mark
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: pillar bedding? - 05/09/16 02:52 AM

Have you sho the gun. Does it need pillars?
Posted By: tx hunter

Re: pillar bedding? - 05/09/16 11:58 AM

Have not shot it. The inletting for the bottom metal at the front gaurd screw is too deep. They used a plastic shim about .003 thick between the stock and bottom metal so that the floor plate would close and open properly. With out the plastic shim the front of the bottom metal sits too deep preventing me from close or opening the floor plate. I have some adjustable score high pillars and was gonna use these to permanently fix the bottom metal. Very nice gun don't know why anyone would cut a corner like this. Easy fix to me when done from the get go.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: pillar bedding? - 05/09/16 01:49 PM

Sounds like a plan. I would bed that area in the bottom metal to to give you a clean fit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum