Texas Hunting Forum

stainless ruger red label

Posted By: Erich

stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 04:55 PM

what happened to these? did they stop making them? I remember looking at some a long time ago and putting one on my wish list, but you don't see them anywhere anymore.

just curious
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 06:09 PM

I'd check the ruger website. If they're not in it, better head to gunbroker.
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 06:18 PM

They were discontinued again.

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 06:20 PM

huh, yes I was trying to look at the ruger website. I couldn't find anything. Why do they discontinue them? to my knowledge they were always supposed to be really nice guns. I've never owned one though.
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 06:39 PM

They were OK at best the first time. The second time they came out "new and improved" they found their cost of production to high to meet the MSRP of $1,399. They may try again, but who knows.

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 06:47 PM

does anyone else make a similar O/U?

I've shot a pump gun my whole life. love them. I'm not really into auto-loaders. I shoot too many shells thru them. love to shoot a nice O/U but find that many of them are a little to pretty to drag out into the brush dove n quail hunting. I always liked the rugers because they seemed pretty trim, not as gaudy as some over n unders can be. they were slimmer looking.

I've never seen anyone else make a stainless synthetic one. saw one once that was stainless with realtree stocks. looked pretty nice. I know they make many cheaper O/U now that are about the price of a good pump gun, but I do not know how well any of them work.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 06:50 PM

The little 28 gauges are built on a smaller frame and are very sought after. I love mine. The 20s and 12s are servicible guns but not nearly as in demand. You should be able to pick one up on GB for $800-1200 depending on condition. Add $300-500 to that for a 28.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 07:05 PM

REALLY wanted one of the all-weather models about 10 years ago, but couldn't justify $1200+.

Posted By: Judd

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/19/16 07:09 PM

Save your money and get a Beretta 686, it's light years better. Another option would be the Browning Cynergy (people either like them or hate them but regardless they are a good gun) or 425/525.

Ruger Red Label in my opinion was just slightly better than a Yildz but at a significantly higher price point.

Don't get me wrong...if you are someone who puts 5-8 boxes of shells through your gun a year...both of those will be fine but if you are wanting something to hand down for decades there is a lot better guns out there.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/20/16 01:10 PM

I can't speak for the larger framed 20s and 12s - but there is no comparison between a Ruger RL 28 and a Yildiz or other cheaper O/U. None. My little 28 is tight, crisp, weighs about 5 lbs. and points like a wand. It is quality through and through.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/20/16 02:18 PM

I am a huge Ruger fan but not of their shotguns. I just don't care for them. The Yildiz is a good choice for a low dollar shotty. I'd pay the $1200 for a Browning before I would a Ruger Red Label.

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/20/16 02:58 PM

what browning would you recommend? the citori? or cynergy?
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/20/16 03:32 PM

The Citori is plenty good. I've only shot one Cynergy but really liked it. Mine is a 725 Hi Rib Sporting but thats a lot more money. I started in O/U with a Browning White Lightning. They can be had for around $1000 to 1200.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/20/16 03:49 PM

I love my cynergy. Fits me like a glove. Shoulder as many shotguns as possible to see what fits you most naturally.
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: stainless ruger red label - 04/22/16 04:18 PM

Legacy Sports makes the Silver Synthetic. It is supposed to be very durable and if you put a coating of shellac on the barrels, they will last a long time in the water

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum