Texas Hunting Forum

Extended choke tubes

Posted By: durda1

Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 03:25 PM

For shooting clays, pros?
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 03:39 PM

What is your question? The advantage of extended choke tubes for shooting clays?

To me, they only make sense for clayshooting where you might need to change out choke tubes quickly. But where I've seen the best use of extended choke tubes is on sporting clays with an O/U. Say you have a close proximity rabbit and a longer shot, true pair. You can have the ability to run a SK & F if you want.

I only use flush chokes for hunting though. Mostly because I dont wanna lose an expensive extended choke, some of my chokes are shiny silver, and I've never seen the need to quickly change choke tubes during a hunt.
Posted By: 5 Stand Dan

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 04:15 PM

Easier to change, easier to tell which choke is in the gun, look cool. Some of the aftermarket extended chokes do pattern better, but it's not a game changer.
Posted By: durda1

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 04:38 PM

Thanks, I think I really want them because they look cool.
grin
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 06:17 PM

I like the added protection on the end of the barrel.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Gumbeaux
I like the added protection on the end of the barrel.

+1
Posted By: booradley

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 07:39 PM

I use them for hunting because it is easy to tell what choke I'm using and they protect the crown of the barrel. I believe as rule after market chokes pattern better than OEM chokes but extended chokes don't pattern better than flush.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/12/16 07:40 PM

I concur with all the above.
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/13/16 12:44 PM

So you don't have to carry a choke changing tool around with you. I always seem to forget mine. You also don't have to memorize how many lines (ect.) means what choke is what.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Extended choke tubes - 04/13/16 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Scary Poppins
So you don't have to carry a choke changing tool around with you. I always seem to forget mine. You also don't have to memorize how many lines (ect.) means what choke is what.

I never carry a choke tool. If you keep your gun and chokes clean you can typically remove with a finger, coin, or pocket knife.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum