Texas Hunting Forum

Gun trust/Tax Stamp

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/11/16 05:45 PM

Please help clarify how all this stuff works. I want to eventually buy a silencer for a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300blk. I don't quite understand all the lingo. I know I need the tax stamp to purchase a silencer, but what does the trust do? Are they both required? Beginning research now, will probably not be purchasing till around July/August.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/11/16 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
Please help clarify how all this stuff works. I want to eventually buy a silencer for a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300blk. I don't quite understand all the lingo. I know I need the tax stamp to purchase a silencer, but what does the trust do? Are they both required? Beginning research now, will probably not be purchasing till around July/August.

https://silencerco.com/education/
Posted By: That 1 GUy

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/11/16 06:01 PM

Well assuming you are buying online:

-Pick item
-Add to cart
-Add Tax Stamp to cart
-Checkout
-Then you will get an email or option after purchase to either send or upload your trust. There are many forms of trust, just make sure you are a trustee on your, lol.
-Wait what seems like an eternity then BAAM, one day you get good news.

In a nutshell, the trust is actually the purchaser of the item as the trust receives the item (legally). The FFL who does the 4473 must turn the item over to a physical person therefore a trustee must visit the FFL and fill out the 4473

If you go into an actual storefront location the process is the exact same except you will need the original trust for them to make a copy vs. a digital copy.
Posted By: ddr225

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/11/16 06:03 PM

Contact Sean Cody at TexasGunTrust.com, he will get a trust done quick. Once that is done and executed find a class 3 dealer. Buy your suppressor and send $200 to the BATFE along with copies of trust and form 4. Your dealer will hold the suppressor until paperwork is approved (months later) Hurry though, laws are changing and itll add extras to the process.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/11/16 08:26 PM

The main advantage of the trust now seems to be the ability to pass on your property after death. If you arent concerned with that, you dont have to go the trust route if you dont want to pay for one.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/11/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim9880
The main advantage of the trust now seems to be the ability to pass on your property after death. If you arent concerned with that, you dont have to go the trust route if you dont want to pay for one.

With the new regs regarding fingerprinting of every member of a trust, it will end up being more of a burden now than it is helpful (unless you want a bunch of folks to have access to your items). At least in my opinion it is now.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/11/16 09:38 PM

This guy has all your answers...he is an attorney!

Christopher Bass
214-596-8314
christopherbass01@gmail.com
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/12/16 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: Tim9880

With the new regs regarding fingerprinting of every member of a trust, it will end up being more of a burden now than it is helpful (unless you want a bunch of folks to have access to your items). At least in my opinion it is now.

Currently the main advantages are no LEO signature required, ability to pass them on, and IMO most importantly, the ability for anyone on the trust to use the item without someone else present. Your son wants to take your SBR .300 hog hunting without you? No problem if he's on the trust. Highly illegal if no trust and you're not with him.

Fingerprint requirement in July will suck but might still be worth it.
Posted By: Junebug

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/14/16 11:12 PM

Silencer shop .com, one stop shop. Best prices I have found anywhere, they are out of Austin.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/15/16 06:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Junebug
Silencer shop .com, one stop shop. Best prices I have found anywhere, they are out of Austin.

Capitol Armory in Austin is a little cheaper on some suppressors.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/15/16 11:16 AM

Silencershop also doesn't do local pick-ups anymore either. Must do a Form 3 to a LGS on their list.
Posted By: ColemanCty

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/15/16 03:42 PM

On the Silencerco website, it mentions a corporation. Can i run the ownership of a suppressor through my corporation and avoid the trust? I have an S-Corp that I am the owner/president of.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/15/16 07:08 PM

Could you do it in an S Corp? I believe you could but I'm not a lawyer. In my opinion, it would be better to just set up an NFA trust for it. You really only want the NFA items and nothing else with it. What if you sell the corp? What if there's a law suit? The trust is free for life other than a lawyer's fee to draft it if you go that route. Cheaper than a corp.
Posted By: ColemanCty

Re: Gun trust/Tax Stamp - 04/18/16 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Toxarch
Could you do it in an S Corp? I believe you could but I'm not a lawyer. In my opinion, it would be better to just set up an NFA trust for it. You really only want the NFA items and nothing else with it. What if you sell the corp? What if there's a law suit? The trust is free for life other than a lawyer's fee to draft it if you go that route. Cheaper than a corp.

Didn't think about that. Thanks so much
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum