Texas Hunting Forum

CZ Scout .22LR issue

Posted By: changedmyname

CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 08:35 PM

Had this gun about a week or two. It's a little youth model bolt action .22.
Brand new, never been fired.
The day I brought it home, I pulled it out the box, worked the bolt and dry fired a few times to feel the trigger. All good. Put it away.

Pulled it out just now because I'm taking my daughter shooting tomorrow. For whatever reason, function test does not work any more. Pulling the trigger does nothing. No click. Work the bolt. Nothing.

I've had a lot of bolt action rifles in my day but never seen this.
Any ideas?

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 08:38 PM

Safety on or not, trigger does the same thing. Lots of travel, no click.
Posted By: Cast

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 09:04 PM

Are you a good trigger guy?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 09:13 PM

Magazine in or out make a difference?

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 09:20 PM

I don't know much about messing with triggers. No difference with mag in or out.

Only difference in today and last time is that I worked the bolt like 100 times today which is the reason I pulled it out. Bolt was tight so I wanted to see if I could loosen it up for her. Put a little oil on, worked bolt a bunch, now it doesn't work. Like it's not engaging firing pin.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 09:21 PM

Pull the bolt and see if it is marketing up from rubbing. Pics too of the trigger below the bolt.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 09:27 PM

I would take the bolt out and break it down. Clean it with some Kroil and put it back together. Probably has some factory crud in it.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 11:19 PM

Hunt, I've got a new CZ 452 .22 that sounds like it's having a similar issue.. When I activate & then disengage the safety and then try to dry fire, maybe 1 out of 10 times the trigger will pull but no click..

When this happens, if I push hard on the back of the bolt I can occasionally get it to actually fire w/ no pressure on the trigger so something is certainly out of whack.. Seems to happen most often when I forcefully move the safety to the 'off' position rather than using little to normal pressure..

Probably going back unless I can find an obvious simple fix.. Only had it a couple weeks & bought it new..

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
Hunt, I've got a new CZ 452 .22 that sounds like it's having a similar issue.. When I activate & then disengage the safety and then try to dry fire, maybe 1 out of 10 times the trigger will pull but no click..

When this happens, if I push hard on the back of the bolt I can occasionally get it to actually fire w/ no pressure on the trigger so something is certainly out of whack.. Seems to happen most often when I forcefully move the safety to the 'off' position rather than using little to normal pressure..

Probably going back unless I can find an obvious simple fix.. Only had it a couple weeks & bought it new..

Man, I didn't keep the box. Will CZ take it back without you think?

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 11:46 PM

I would hope so.. Bought that 452 from a dealer on GB so my to-do list has a call to CZ warranty on it now..

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/09/16 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
I would hope so.. Bought that 452 from a dealer on GB so my to-do list has a call to CZ warranty on it now..

Bought mine from a FFL that works out of his home on the side here in Weatherford. Emailing him now. I'm sure he'll direct me to CZ.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 12:04 AM

Let me know if you get anywhere with them. My damn original receipt was in the box and apparently you need it for CZ to do warranty work. In my defense, the only reason I don't have the box is because my wife threw it out.

Not happy to have to pay to ship off a brand new rifle if it comes to that.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 12:16 AM

Wanted to add that, the back of the bolt is sunk in no matter what right now. (The part that goes forward on trigger pull to push firing pin). It does not reset.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 12:18 AM

The bolt is the issue. Take it down, knock off rough edges, clean, lube and try it again.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 01:01 AM

No go.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 01:24 AM

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283714

Some thoughts from the guys on Rimfire as to the cause.. I'll try some these suggestions this week..

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 01:47 AM

More here..

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519878
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 03:00 PM

Rather disturbing news about the CZ.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/10/16 03:42 PM

I was going to send you to RFC. That's where I get my 22lr learning.

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/11/16 11:34 PM

Contacted the FFL I bought it from and he contacted the distributor he got it from to see about an exchange since it has never been fired. No go.

So he's going to help me take care of warranty work with CZ. Expecting 4-6 week turnaround.

Freaking blows. Brand new .22 for my daughter's birthday present.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: CZ Scout .22LR issue - 04/12/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt
Had this gun about a week or two. It's a little youth model bolt action .22.
Brand new, never been fired.
The day I brought it home, I pulled it out the box, worked the bolt and dry fired a few times to feel the trigger. All good. Put it away.

Pulled it out just now because I'm taking my daughter shooting tomorrow. For whatever reason, function test does not work any more. Pulling the trigger does nothing. No click. Work the bolt. Nothing.

I've had a lot of bolt action rifles in my day but never seen this.
Any ideas?

The first thing I would try would be to increase the trigger pull a tad. On many rifles, if the trigger is set too light, then it slips off of the sear when you work the bolt, so the gun will not fire.

You might try closing the bolt *really slowly and carefully*, and see if it fires then. If so, then it's definitely too light a trigger pull causing the problem.

This is something that you can do fairly easily at home. Do a web search for the gun's manual. Chances are that you can find a pdf file of it online that will show how to adjust the trigger. - Or you might look for a YouTube video for adjusting your rifle's trigger.

Maybe somebody here can tell you which screw to turn, which way.

I would try this before shipping it off for repair.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum