Texas Hunting Forum

Stripping

Posted By: durda1

Stripping - 04/06/16 01:27 PM

What would be the best stripper for browning citori stock?
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 01:47 PM

I am in the mist of doing a wood stock project myself, although i I haven't gotten that far yet. So far what i found out is...

1. there is a stripper called CitriStrip that is generally considered the least harsh and safest but is also considered the weakest. Meaning plan on multiple applications. Apparently this stuff is least likely to damage the original wood and also smells nice.
2. the only absolute safest ways not to jeopardize the wood is hand sanding. then again there the risk of over sanding, but my buddy with wood working experience (just not gun stocks) says not to worry about over sanding because you would really have to NOT be paying attention to go that far. when in doubt just use a finer grit.

I am tentatively planning on a combo method, one application of CitriStrip and then sand the remaining.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 02:26 PM

Well u got me in the thread.

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 02:30 PM

Hahaha, thought about that when posting.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

I was hoping for girls with guns, I have nothing useful to add, this was a let down bang
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 02:56 PM

Is it a modern thick gloss finish? If so, a heat fun is the best way. Just be careful not to burn the wood.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper

I was hoping for girls with guns, I have nothing useful to add, this was a let down bang

I really didn't want the guns because there is no way I'm sanding on a high dollar stock. I was just hoping for some redneck girls in Daisy Dukes running their ATVs through the mud around the Red River, then washing the mud off with a garden hose. Guess I'm easy to please...
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 09:19 PM

Check w/ TDK.. He did a Citori for me & I remember him telling me that the Browning finish was especially difficult to remove but the new oil rub finish he applied looks amazing.. He can give you some tips..

You never would've known the wood grain he exposed was ever under there..

Re: Stripping - 04/06/16 09:27 PM

Got any pictures T bone?
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Stripping - 04/08/16 01:30 AM

This was a thread where I posted a few pics..

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4965285/Citori_makeover..#Post4965285
Posted By: THEBBC

Re: Stripping - 04/14/16 02:05 PM

There is a pretty hot stripper named Candy that used to come in but I think she shot a Krieghoff.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Stripping - 04/14/16 02:13 PM

There is an orange based paint stripper gel that Mrs Cast likes. Get it at Lowes or HD.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum