Texas Hunting Forum

Future Build

Posted By: thedoveshooter

Future Build - 03/24/16 02:06 AM

Probably not what most of ya'll were expecting. I appreciate the modern designs, but I'm a traditionalist.

Barrel:
I found a really nice small ring Mauser barrel on gunbroker. New, in the white. .30-06 SPRG 26" with 1-10" twist. Going to cut and recrown it to 24" I know its of European origin, most likely Belgian....maybe even FN.

Stock:
Family friend gave me a blank his father had; he was a self taught gunsmith. Pretty sure it is Myrtle. Nice and lightweight, but really dense. Also, LOVE the tiger striping.

Action:
Going to try to find a Mauser 98 small ring (yes, they do exist) or I may use a Turk. We'll see.

- Austin
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Future Build - 03/24/16 02:15 AM

Major endeavor, best of luck and don't forget to post progress.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Future Build - 03/24/16 02:28 AM

Gonna be a beauty. up
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Future Build - 03/24/16 03:22 AM

Oh boy, I see great things coming!! grin cheers

Not a thing wrong with a Turk, lots of them out there.
Posted By: durda1

Re: Future Build - 03/24/16 05:41 AM

Interested in fn mauser?

Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Future Build - 03/24/16 11:23 AM

What type finish are you considering for the stock, oil or stain?
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Future Build - 03/24/16 01:22 PM

yes looks like it's gonna be an awesome project, please keep us posts on the progress. I too recently have an urge to build a rifle and do some of the work myself. I'd love to get some pointers as this is all new to me.

Re: Future Build - 03/24/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BassCat'99
What type finish are you considering for the stock, oil or stain?

Stain would be a sin on that wood! Oil finish only. Probably just use 8-10 coats of boiled lint seed oil.

Re: Future Build - 07/21/16 02:21 AM

UPDATE:

I bought a 7mm Mag barrel just like the .30-06 barrel I have above. I just got it back from the gunsmith after getting the barrel installed and headspaced and bolt face opened for mag caliber. I also picked up a hinged floorplate.

I decided I "need" to test fire for accuracy before I spend any more money on getting in reblued and the stock work done so I put it back in the original stock. I cut down the barrel channel (kid of sniper like) so the barrel would be floated and mounted a scope. I just need ammo. I got home and I have no loaded 7mm Mag! I will post pics of the target next week. wink

Here are some pic in the old stock (it was my practice stock for spray painting lol)

- thedoveshooter

Re: Future Build - 07/21/16 02:48 AM

Coming along nicely, bet she'll be a shooter. Can't wait to see how the new stock comes out too!! up

What load are you going to do testing with?

Re: Future Build - 07/21/16 03:50 AM

I haven't gotten that far yet. I leave for Chicago in the morning. My girlfriend's brother is getting hitched. Next week I'll have time.

Re: Future Build - 07/21/16 03:59 AM

You sound like me, I'm traveling this week too. Too much to do, not enough time.

Can't wait to see future progress on your build. My type of format as well, I love Mauser action based rifles. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum