Texas Hunting Forum

Muzzle Jump Reduction Question

Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

Muzzle Jump Reduction Question - 03/16/16 02:35 AM

I have custom 300 wm rifle I just built. I have issues with muzzle jump. I have a shillen barrel which I think is milled from a savage blank. It is 28 inches long with a 1:8 twist. I am shooting a 230 grain Berger hybrid with 73.3 grains of Retumbo. I was thinking either porting the barrel or adding a compensator. Which is more effective? I was thinking a compensator would be a good option. I could always switch it out with a suppressor if I chose. Ultimately though I want to maintain my accuracy as much as possible while reducing my muzzle jump as much as possible.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Muzzle Jump Reduction Question - 03/16/16 02:38 AM

Add a timed brake.

Alamo
JEC
Seekins

Get the bipod up to something solid, and load into it. Make sure you're straight behind the rifle if prone. If on a bench, make sure your shoulders are square with the stock, and still loading the bipod.
Posted By: Kung Fu Widgeon

Re: Muzzle Jump Reduction Question - 03/16/16 03:03 AM

Can you provide a link to a few good options?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Muzzle Jump Reduction Question - 03/16/16 03:19 AM

Comp it.
Posted By: b1c2r3r4

Re: Muzzle Jump Reduction Question - 03/16/16 08:00 AM

Google 308 muzzle brake and you can find a blog that compares a lot of muzzle brakes in 308,6,6.5 and 300 Norma mag. The Alamo four star, apa fat basturd and the apa little basturd were the best. The apa gen 2 do not need to be timed and they don't use washers either.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Muzzle Jump Reduction Question - 03/16/16 12:44 PM

Read the PRS Blog mentioned above and I had this one installed. Very effective on recoil and muzzle jump.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum