Texas Hunting Forum

Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper

Posted By: DStroud

Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 02:47 AM

Ever since I shot a Big Nilgia with Derricks 28 Nosler I have been coveting one. Well Picked up my 28 Nosler yesterday. It's in a temporary stock until next Monday but I was anxious to get a load worked up as I have a Match next weekend. Braved the rain and wind today as I was anxious to shoot it.
I furnished Horizon two different loads... one with 183gr Sierra and one with the 195gr Berger.
Last night I eased higher on the charge and loaded a few in new brass and once fired brass to check speed variance with both bullets.

Here is the rifle. New stock will be Black/Grey/white Iota stock.

Here is the 195's thru the Magneto

Having issues with rain with my marker but you get the gist. Think this will have to be my load for first match. Oh and don't try these loads unless your 28 Nosler is throated properly.

Posted By: Dien

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 03:03 AM

Very nice, I looked hard at the 28 Nosler due to ease of brass but alas am waiting on a wildcat.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 03:07 AM

All I am going to say about this is 3160fps with a BC of .755, run those numbers 14 mills and about 800 lbs of energy at a mile, yes please
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 03:22 AM

Excellent! That's a hell of a hammer.

19.0 Mils at 2000 yards with a 3100 fps MV, yeah I've investigated. Really thinking of building one just for that purpose. Even found a piece of property close to my range that has that kind of distance.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 03:27 AM

flehan

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 03:32 AM

I am going to have to look for a spot to shoot a Mile. rifle

Honestly I am liking the fact that I can get to over 1400 yards in one Revolution...
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 03:37 AM

That is just tremendous, very nice shooting and a great looking rifle.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 01:15 PM

Just think your 5% through barrel life.....jk

Looks good. Nice shooting and fine work from horizon

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
Just think your 5% through barrel life.....jk

Looks good. Nice shooting and fine work from horizon

If I can avoid playing with it too much I am thinking I might get 4-5 years. I will shoot it for sure 20-25 rounds every quarter in a local match so that's 100 per year. Kill an Elk,Aoudad or two a year... yep about 4 years with a little play time figured in. Not too worried.. hey I am old I don't even buy green bananas banana

I was just putting a pencil to it last night. I get 79 rounds from a can of powder so an 8lb keg will last a few years along with the 100 pieces of brass I should be set for a good while.
I am going to order a bore scope to keep an eye.... just because I am curious.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 05:47 PM

Wow, what a shooter! That's the good news. The bad news is that my shoulder is hurting for ya.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 06:51 PM

Looking at that gun makes my whole safe jealous!

Nice
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 07:06 PM

After I shoot out my 300. I may step down to the little 7mm
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
After I shoot out my 300. I may step down to the little 7mm

Blasphemy! slinger
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/10/16 10:15 PM

OH MY what a sweet set up. The monster brake will come in handy. That stock is beautiful, what are you switching to?

DStroud, what matches are you shooting?? up

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/11/16 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
OH MY what a sweet set up. The monster brake will come in handy. That stock is beautiful, what are you switching to?

DStroud, what matches are you shooting?? up

Switching the stock to one of Derricks Iota stocks Black/Grey/White blend

The recoil with that brake is milder than shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor ( with no brake).

We have a local 1000 yard match near Crawford Tx. They have a unlimited division and a .308 division which allows no brakes or Suppressors and we also shoot a Vintage Military at 800 yards open sights only.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/11/16 09:09 PM

Very nice.

I'd never really heard of the 28 nosler or at least read anything on it until seeing this. Looking into the round it sounds intriguing. What are the advantages/disadvantages vs a similar round such as the other 7s?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Oh My.. Horizon LR Thumper - 03/11/16 09:51 PM

Speed!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum