Texas Hunting Forum

Modifying an AI mag?

Posted By: ZK-315

Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:04 PM

Has anyone attempted to modify an AI mag? Long story short, Manners sent me the wrong mag. I ordered a 5 round mag and 7 round mag for a WSM. This is my first mag system so I figured everything was correct...turns out the 5 round mag was for a .308 and will only hold 3 WSM rounds.

I do have a 5 round mag coming now, but am curious to whether or not I can modify the .308 mag so I can now have a 3 round mag. It appears the biggest difference is the plate, internal to the mag, closest to the bullet. This plate really limits my seating depth on the 180gr VLDs.

Can I drill the two dimples out and remove that plate? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe those are the welded area that holds the plate. I hate to go drilling holes and then completely destroy a mag, but if it is as simple as drilling those two holes out and removing the plate, I wont worry about it.

Posted By: dee

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:14 PM

You can drill them out and run it but some feel it is necessary to fill them back in for strength.

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:20 PM

Are those two spots the only thing holding that plate in?

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:31 PM

Yes but feed lips are a little different too.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Are those two spots the only thing holding that plate in?

Yes, just drill out the 2 holes, and the plate will fall out. I did this to both my AI mags to increase my seating depth when I was shooting a 260 Rem. But for a WSM case, I don't know that will work. You will for sure have to open the feed lips, and may need to change the mag.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:35 PM

The 308 mag does not have the correct geometry on the feed lips to reliably feed WSM's. Don't ruin a good mag and waste your effort. Sell the mag and use the one designed for the round. fwiw - The AI single stack 338LM mags work perfectly with WSM's and long, high bc bullets, but require a long action.

Note the difference of position of the shoulder. 7WSM next to a 308.

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:44 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. I didn't really think about the feed lips being different. A buddy said he will buy it off of me if I decided not to modify, but was hoping I could just easily modify it without tearing it up too terribly much.
Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 03:52 PM

Just a word of caution... That plate is there so that the tip of the bullet doesn't get snagged or lodged under the feed ramp of the action preventing it from properly feeding...

Not saying it will happen as we are talking around 50 thou for the plate... But it could...

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 04:01 PM

The problem with the mag in question Chase, is that it is the wrong mag. My 7 round WSM mag does not have that plate.

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 04:06 PM

Thanks for in info Jeffbird. Sounds like I just need to sell it to my buddy, and wait for the new mag to show up.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 05:08 PM

If your buddy doesn't want the 5rd 308 one, I'd be interested.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 05:34 PM

You're welcome.

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/03/16 06:12 PM

jeepercreeper, he was pretty adamant about buying it, but i'll let you know if anything changes. up
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/04/16 10:56 AM

PTG makes bottom metal (made of metal) for the Howa 1500 that works with AI magazines.

The magazines look good. - Is everybody happy with Accuracy International's magazines? I am seriously considering the PTG detachable mag bottom metal for my Howa, as opposed to the plastic detachable mag conversion that Howa sells. - For my Howa in .223, the PTG conversion costs around 50 bucks more. The AI .223 magazine offered is polymer, larger cartridges get steel mags.

Re: Modifying an AI mag? - 03/04/16 12:51 PM

AI mags are about as good as they get. The 223 mags aren't to great but they are supposed to be releasing a steel version soon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum