Texas Hunting Forum

Best you can buy hearing protection?

Posted By: Brother in-law

Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 07:47 PM

Plugs and headphones together aren't an option because hearing aids are in play
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 08:21 PM

My favorite form of ear pro requires a tax stamp.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 08:25 PM

Impact Sports electronics are very popular. Can hear everything until a shot is fired, then they go silent.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 08:51 PM

Walkers ive used have been quite impressive. I have a pair of howard leight noise canceling and for me and the price i really like them, they were $40-50
Posted By: NTRP

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 09:06 PM

I've started using these http://www.armslist.com/posts/319748/denver-colorado-misc-for-sale--nacre-quietpro

NACRE Quiet Pro. They're pretty convenient for safety. Saturday I lost seal in my left ear and I immediately got an alarm tone until I was able to reposition them. You can find them about half that price on eBay. When I'm laying next to muzzle brakes I'll put electronic muffs over them.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 09:20 PM

Keep in mind that benchrest stuff is my game and 1/2 the guys there are retired and wearing ear plugs hearing aids. They normally take their hearing aids out and put in a regular plug (foam or some have molded) then they put electronic muffs (like the pair Jason mentioned) over top of them with the volume turned all the way up. It's loud enough they can hear range commands and still have double protection.

You have to have muffs to get "the best" protection available...the bone behind your ear plays a factor in hearing loss and without muffs its still at risk.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: NTRP
I've started using these http://www.armslist.com/posts/319748/denver-colorado-misc-for-sale--nacre-quietpro

NACRE Quiet Pro. They're pretty convenient for safety. Saturday I lost seal in my left ear and I immediately got an alarm tone until I was able to reposition them. You can find them about half that price on eBay. When I'm laying next to muzzle brakes I'll put electronic muffs over them.

Are these compatible with hearing aids, as mentioned in the OP?
Posted By: NTRP

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: NTRP

Are these compatible with hearing aids, as mentioned in the OP?

I was reading it as regular plugs wouldn't work. I have no experience with these and hearing aids so I'm not sure.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/01/16 10:58 PM

Wouldn't you be able to just take the hearing aides out and be good? wink

I use Walker's Game Ear muffs. You can hear everything and they cut off when the gun is shot. Only problem is when other people start yelling because they see you are wearing ear muffs and think you can't hear them.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 12:17 AM

Judd just admitted to playing an old man's sport
Posted By: Judd

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36

It's true bang
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Impact Sports electronics are very popular. Can hear everything until a shot is fired, then they go silent.

^^^ That's what I want. - Have been getting by with foam plugs, which are usually but not always good enough.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd
Originally Posted By: Ramball36

It's true bang

roflmao

Walter
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 02:17 AM

Esp America. Custom molded ear plus with digital controls. Takes care of the hearing aid and plug in one. I would say they are the best, but they are not cheap....

Walter
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 02:31 AM

I bought some Pro Ears Ultra. The have a 30 NRR. They are a little big but I have no problems with a cheek weld.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 02:51 AM

I know you would benefit by calling various hearing aid places and asking "Is your doctor or technician a shooter/hunter?" When you find one who is, ask what they would recommend. If they can sell a $1000+ hearing aid they would be happy to help you with a quick & best solution.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Best you can buy hearing protection? - 03/02/16 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
My favorite form of ear pro requires a tax stamp.

Yep...the only way to roll.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum