Texas Hunting Forum

Mailing a gun to California.

Posted By: Chief Joe

Mailing a gun to California. - 02/28/16 06:09 PM

Any experience on mailing a gun to California? Has to be sent to a dealer right?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 02/28/16 06:17 PM

Any firearms shipped out of state have to go through FFL on receiving end.
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 02/28/16 06:19 PM

Are you mailing to yourself? And what kind of gun? California is tricky.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 02/28/16 06:20 PM

Make sure it is on the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale" list with the California Department of Justice. Due to the passage of a micro-engraving law the list is pretty small and getting smaller.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 02/28/16 06:35 PM

Yeah, it is a Sig 9mm. Got a kid getting out of the Marines and wanting to travel home on his MC but would like to pack. I think this gun doesn't make the list..
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 02/28/16 07:00 PM

Hmm. Might want to find an FFL out there and give them a call. They cant sell a SIG because it isnt approved. The question is if they can receive and transfer a gun that is given as a gift. California handgun laws are a mess.Good luck.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 02/28/16 07:10 PM

I've only sent 1 firearm to California and it was an AR10 scared It was a bit of a pain in the butt because I had the buyer send me a 5rd mag and bullet button. I installed the bullet button and kept the normal mag release. Then I used a TX FFL to send to a CA FFL so he could make sure I was doing everything by the book.

There are many CA residents that will tell you its no big deal to send them AR type weapons without bullet buttons and/or high capacity magazines are ok as long as they're disassembled. Do everything by the book. I understand that their laws are stupid, but they are still laws.

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 02/29/16 12:49 PM

Thanks guys!!!
Posted By: ggarciatx

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 03/03/16 06:43 PM

Please check state laws on him carrying the gun on his trip back. Some states might hang him for unlicensed carry.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Mailing a gun to California. - 03/03/16 07:44 PM

Cal is tricky, we do it all the time but you need to be registered with California. Then the gun itself goes with specific paperwork to a FFL then assigned to that specific person.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum