Texas Hunting Forum

So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/26/16 11:08 PM

Pick up a 17 WSM B-Mag tomorrow.
Posted By: JCB

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/26/16 11:12 PM

They are alright, you just aren't suppose to admit you own one.
Posted By: rickym

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/26/16 11:24 PM

Let me know when you decide you don't like it and you want to sell it. grin
Posted By: GLC

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/26/16 11:47 PM

Welcome to the dark side! woot
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/27/16 01:04 PM

Please report your thoughts on the 17 wsm. And the Bmag.

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/27/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: CitySlickerHunter
Please report your thoughts on the 17 wsm. And the Bmag.

I will! Not going to get carried away with this one just keep it simple and stock. It's going to get some rough treatment over the summer. We had allot of Jack Rabbits last year and I suspect with the mild wet winter we're looking at a big increase this year. They're already coming out in numbers. Quail way up along with both cottontail and jacks means a predator explosion if not this year then next and I'm just trying to get ahead of them.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/27/16 05:05 PM

I want to like the 17wsm, look forward to your report

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/27/16 11:45 PM

OK first rattle out of the box we had a problem. The trigger would not reset after working the bolt. I fixed it by re-adjusting the trigger which was set so light the sear wouldn't engage. This rifle should never have left the factory in that condition, somebody not recognizing the problem would have sent it back. Checked online and there are multiple accounts of this taking place. They've already started out on the wrong foot.

Scope mounted and we'll see how it shoots in the AM. Trigger set at 3 lbs. Shooting 20 grain Winchester Varmint HV

The looks are about what I expected but I must say I like not having to look at that damn barrel nut.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 12:18 AM

That particular rifle has had a multitude of problems. Its not Savage in general, but that rifle. I don't know why but they let that one slip through with issues.

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
That particular rifle has had a multitude of problems. Its not Savage in general, but that rifle. I don't know why but they let that one slip through with issues.

Well that problem seems to have been corrected, now we'll see if it can shoot.
Posted By: L0N35T4R

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 02:47 PM

I have 2 Savage rifles and everyone that shoot them cannot get over how accurate they are. Even the Remington guys are humbly impressed

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 04:51 PM

One more thing I'm not to happy with before I head to the ranch and that's the bolt. Too close to the top of the trigger finger causing the bolt to inch up.

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 09:22 PM

The little gun will shoot! Only measured groups was at 50 yards and easily keeps them inside a nickle, took it out to 150 on my favorite shooting rock and it was making one consistent splash mark. Took it to the pond and dispatched 3 turtle and took 5 jackrabbits while cruising the ranch. Just as I was leaving there was a crow sitting on a cross beam about 100 yards away and he met the same faith as the others.

Bolt still gets in the way but not so bad when you have to make a deliberate reach to get the pad centered on your index finger. Plus if you get in a hurry the bolt will lock half way, make sure it's completed it's movement before lowering the bolt. All in all I say it's a keeper with the bugs being minor for the price you pay.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 09:38 PM

Sounds like an over all fun truck gun, useful for those shooting opportunities when working and driving around a large ranch.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 09:42 PM

I have one in 17 hmr. It is a good gun. I got it after my father decided to keep my Marlin 17 hmr. The savage is no more accurate but still is a fun rifle. It is the only savage I own. The accutrigger is nice.

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/28/16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Sounds like an over all fun truck gun, useful for those shooting opportunities when working and driving around a large ranch.

Need to whack a yote or two with to confirm but I believe it will be just fine.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/29/16 12:08 AM

I'm glad it is working out.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 02/29/16 12:54 AM

for the money I would buy one over comparable rifles in the same dollar class.

Re: So the guy who doesn't like Savage rifles bought a Savage rifle. - 03/01/16 12:56 AM

Have to say this is a legitimate 150 to 200 yard gun, was intentionally taking long shots on jacks and scored 5 for 5, with one real close to 200. The more I shoot it the more I like it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum