Texas Hunting Forum

AK advice

Posted By: Colt W. Knight

AK advice - 02/11/16 07:24 PM

I have been considered an AK for a while now. I read a lot of conflicting info about brands. I ran across this today surfing Ky Gun Co.

https://www.kygunco.com/inter-ordnance-a...buttstock-83633

I have basically have 2 questions.

1. Is this a quality rifle?

2. Will this accept Magpul furniture? I really like the look of an AK dressed in Mag pul furniture. I don't know why, but I do.
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 08:25 PM

1. No, I would not trust it for a host of reasons readily available online.
2. I am not going to answer this truthfully in hopes that it may inspire you to ignore answer #1.

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 08:26 PM

The easy answer? Buy a wasr.
Posted By: Earl

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 08:28 PM

I agree with CR - I cannot recommend anything that is from IO.

IMO the best bang for your buck would be to find a Century Arms OPAP. Should be around $600-700. It is a far better gun than what you are looking at with IO. The OPAP's are harder to find than the NPAP but in my opinion much better and worth the wait/search. These are however harder to dress up in Magpul furniture - you have to get Yugo specific furniture.

If you go the WASR route you run a crapshoot...some are good, some are not. I would recommend going with someone like Classic Arms or Atlantic who offers to sell WASR's that have been thru their own quality control checks.

Earl

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 08:38 PM

I don't care if it will take magpul furniture if it's a POS.

I want to buy a quality AK that will run like hell.

Is century international the same as century arms, or are they different importers?
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 08:45 PM

Whatever you do, don't buy a Yugo M92 or M85. Mine is a glorified single shot.

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 08:54 PM

Century Arms International is the same company you are describing. They both import, build in house, and contract out builds. So painting all Century guns with the same brush is not a fair assessment.

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 08:56 PM

Get a DDI if a wasr is not your flavor.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: AK advice - 02/11/16 10:11 PM

If you can find one, the Saiga IZ-132 is where it's at. It is very easy to convert and 100% what an AKM should be.

Re: AK advice - 02/12/16 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: okstatefan
If you can find one, the Saiga IZ-132 is where it's at. It is very easy to convert and 100% what an AKM should be.

About how much are the parts to convert it over?
Posted By: Carter Tinsley

Re: AK advice - 02/12/16 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Classic Rocks
Get a DDI if a wasr is not your flavor.

This^^^ great bang for the buck. Just picked up their 74 from Classic Firearms. It's a peach. Finish is great. Eats everything I feed it and accurate to boot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum