Texas Hunting Forum

Comparison of two self defense shotguns

Posted By: mikei

Comparison of two self defense shotguns - 02/11/16 04:43 PM

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/26_14/features/Tactical-Models-Mossberg-930-Versus-Remington-870-Pumpgun-26396-1.html?ET=guntests:e483:1614334a:&st=email&s=p_wss021116#.Vry5NVKn98E
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Comparison of two self defense shotguns - 02/11/16 06:04 PM

I didn't go to the link but why would they compare an autoloader to a pump?
Posted By: mikei

Re: Comparison of two self defense shotguns - 02/12/16 01:44 PM

In the first paragraph of the article, Gun Tests says this as part of their rationale for comparing the two:

"The question is often whether the self-loader is the better choice, particularly since most of us use self-loading handguns and rifles. In this test we put two well-known and popular brands, Remington and Mossberg, to the test. We fire a version of Big Green’s most popular service-grade pump-action shotgun — the Remington 870 — against the Mossberg 930 self-loading shotgun."
Posted By: Jigo23

Re: Comparison of two self defense shotguns - 02/14/16 09:35 PM

Interesting...I actually have both shotguns and like them both a lot but for separate functions. The pump 870 for home defense and the semi 930 for hunting. If I could only have one or the other, I'd have to go with the pump 870. Have had other semi-autos and experienced at least one malfunction (FTF/FTE or the unexpected double-tap!) with all, never with the 870 pump. Not a big deal when just hunting, bigger deal in self-defense. Love my 930 though for coyote/turkeys! Noticed it seemed hard finding accessories for it right after I got it, but haven't looked lately so probably more widely available now. LOTS of options for the 870. Like I said, love them both but for different purposes and glad I don't have to pick only one. If I did though, pretty hard to argue against the venerable 870 pump!
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Comparison of two self defense shotguns - 02/15/16 01:42 AM

Seems like they should have compared the 870 to a better quality semi. If I was buying a semi for home defense it would be a FN SLP or Benelli M4.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum