Texas Hunting Forum

Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/05/16 11:43 PM

Mine was picking up my Sheridan pellet gun, wondering if it was loaded.......with a hole though my bedroom ceiling, I got my answer.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/05/16 11:52 PM

my bil and my two nephews were at the farm for peasant hunt,the youngest was in the back seat, fired off a round that went through the floor board, blew all the wiring to tail lights ect,
Posted By: Earl

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 12:15 AM

I have only had one and it was one too many. Thank God no one was injured but it was a learning experience and I was old enough, been around guns enough, that it should never ever have happened. Thought I was dry firing a S&W M66 - only it wasn't dry. Have never made that mistake again but sorry to say I did the one time.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 12:22 AM

My one and only was with a makarov pistol.

I had been out filling feeders all day and had been rained on by corn. I got home, unholstered the pistol. Pointed it into the void between safe and wall and hit the decock lever. A piece of corn must have bridge the gap between the hammer and firing pin as I not only had to change my undershorts, but had corn shrapnel stuck in my neck and face from the slide doing it's thing. It was sure enough negligence on my part for not checking the weapon.

I have only onwned single action autos from that point forward.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 12:33 AM

I want so bad to make an R rated response, but I'll be quiet.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 12:44 AM

We had been target shooting out at the farm. I put a loaded shotgun in the cargo area of my xterra, planning to come back to it later. Only, we never shot it again that day. While we were loading up, I leaned it against the back seat, something shifted, and hit the trigger, and blew a hole in the roof of my car about 4" wide.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 12:57 AM

I had my .270 on an elk hunt several years ago. Something was off in the action. If the trigger was pulled with the safety on, it would fire when the safety was released. I didn't know this at the time. The trigger had been bumped, apparently, and when we had reached the road that evening to hitch a ride to camp, I released the safety to unload the rifle. It went off. We were safe since I had the muzzle pointed at the sky, but it sure surprised the hell out of us. Shortly after, another hunter stopped by to give us a lift. He asked if that was us that just shot. I told him it was somebody down the road. I was still too embarrassed to admit to what actually happened.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I had my .270 on an elk hunt several years ago. Something was off in the action. If the trigger was pulled with the safety on, it would fire when the safety was released. I didn't know this at the time. The trigger had been bumped, apparently, and when we had reached the road that evening to hitch a ride to camp, I released the safety to unload the rifle. It went off. We were safe since I had the muzzle pointed at the sky, but it sure surprised the hell out of us. Shortly after, another hunter stopped by to give us a lift. He asked if that was us that just shot. I told him it was somebody down the road. I was still too embarrassed to admit to what actually happened.

My dad's rifle did that on an elk hunt, only when it happened, he was getting set up to shoot a 5x5.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:18 AM

I closed the bolt on a 700 in 300 win mag and it fired. I was at the gun range and it was on sand bags pointed down range. It still shook me up. It had the older trigger everybody loves so much.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:20 AM

Ruger security six. Cleaned it while my Dad was off visiting Grandpa, and afterward put what I thought was 6 empties in it to dry fire. Unfortunately one was a wadcutter eeks333 Shot a hole in the living room wall that blew out the plaster on the outside of the house. Scared Mom's cannery so bad all its feathers fell out and it died a week later. As for me, lets just say deer season was a real bummer that year, cause Dad would look at me right before he shot 2 big muley bucks and say "remember the wall". That would have been my first year to hunt mule deer. Never forgot that lesson. Learned me to be VERY careful. up

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

My dad's rifle did that on an elk hunt, only when it happened, he was getting set up to shoot a 5x5.

I remember thinking about that possibility and how disappointing it would have been, or possibly worse.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:24 AM

And I've always wondered where that bullet landed.
Posted By: East

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:32 AM

Only one I have ever had was when I was 16ish. Was at a home made range and shooting from 100 yards. Had a 700 rem 30-06. Was on target but not on target if that makes sense, and clicked off the safety and the gun went off. Still hit the berm thankfully
Posted By: East

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:34 AM

Watched my buddy in college blow a hole thru his ceiling in a rent house

Still laugh about it, but it was loud in that room. Was trying to show me how awesome the trigger on a 1100 was rofl
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:38 AM

My buddy brought over his full auto AK47u and a FA Tec 22 in high school. Shot about 3 mags through the 22 dropped the last mag and put the gun next to my mouth to blow the smoke like a little Billy Bad Azz and pulled the trigger. Damn near blew my nose off. Now I rack and clear every gun I pick up.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 01:48 AM

Never had an AD out of a gun. Thank God. I did have an AD one time when I dropped a bag of 45acp. There were probably 50rds in a zip lock bag, dropped them on sidewalk, one round went off. I stood in disbelief for a few seconds. I have a new found respect for loose ammo and primers.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:26 AM

am too embarrassed to admit

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
am too embarrassed to admit

Well, you just did. May as well share the details.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:36 AM

Dad taught me well, never had that happen. Closest I can come is a firecracker I was going to throw out the window of my car with a short fuse...WHAT DID YOU SAY???

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:41 AM

My dad taught me well too. And I would guess we were all taught well. Which is why none of these stories has ended with an injury. Follow the rules of firearm safety, and if, God forbid, an accident happens, nobosy gets hurt.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:42 AM

I was drawin my bow back while shooting in tha yard.. Dloop broke almost at full draw and was young so I was rared back lookin behind me with bow pointed at the sky.. Pretty sure it landed in the next county... Never with a gun... Ever
Posted By: JCB

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:51 AM

Thank God its never happened to me and I pray it never does! Have been around a handful though. Worst one was at the Market Hall Gun Show several years ago. The place went dead silent right after it happened!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Stratgolfer
Closest I can come is a firecracker I was going to throw out the window of my car with a short fuse...WHAT DID YOU SAY???

I learned at an early age that some of them fuses be mighty fast! roflmao !!
Posted By: jaymz

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:54 AM

8 years old. .22 bolt action with the pull back bolt. I was pointing it down towards my foot to get leverage, bolt slipped and fired a round right through the tip of my shoe.. luckily it didn't hit my toe.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 03:32 AM

Wait a minute. Colt45 says he was hunting peasants. Isn't that illegal?

My first AD was when I was a teen. I was at the town dump shooting cans and bottles and rats with my Stevens 87D semiauto 22. A car load of older women (cute cheerleaders that I had a crush on) drove up and asked what I was doing. I rested the muzzle of the 22 on the toe of my right Converse Allstar sneaker while I nervously talked to all the hot girls from my school. They got ready to leave and I lifted the rifle and I guess I lifted it by the trigger and shot a hole in the end of my converse sneaker. They asked if I was Ok, and I lied and said "yup". As soon as they were out of sight, I shucked off the shoe and found that the bullet had passed between the ends of the big toe and the one next to it. No skin lost. Very lucky.

On that old Stevens autoloader, the safety is a slide type on the right side. Two screws hold the slide in place, and if the screws get loose, the safety doesn't work.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 04:25 AM

Never had an AD thankfully but I've seen quite a few in the Army. Usually at a clearing barrel when someone forgets to drop the mag.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 05:30 AM

Never in my 20 years of weapons handling.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 11:55 AM

Never in my 43 years of handling weapons.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 02:57 PM

Must of been about 8th grade while doing a little couch surfing with little Suzy. Oh wait, I think youre talking about something else.... Never had a gun go off unexpectedly.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 04:59 PM

Not really sure there is such a thing as an accidental discharge....negligent discharge is probably the more accurate term. Thankfully I've never had one.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 05:13 PM

Isn't it like riding a bike, those that have and those that will.

Never had one yet and don't INTEND to,

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Not really sure there is such a thing as an accidental discharge....negligent discharge is probably the more accurate term. Thankfully I've never had one.

Most of the time that's true. I can't say that it always is, though.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 07:06 PM

I haven't had one yet. I have had 2 close encounters with someone else's AD/ND though.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 10:09 PM

Was rabbit hunting with my uncle, dad, cousin. Walk through the woods didn't see anything got to the other side and I noticed my uncle had his shotgun with the hammer back. I said give the gun to me so I could deco I the hammer, the darn gun had a hare trigger. Had the butt between my legs about nut high and the 12 ga went off, a lot of nasty words came out my dad stated laughing made me mad threw uncles gun in a pile of brush and a darn rabbit ran out. It was a good day still have my nuts.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/06/16 11:02 PM

clap
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 12:16 AM

Tuning my GP100 trigger with a whole lot of overkill on a spring - coupled with BAD trigger discipline on my part.

We were shooting steel at 75 yds, single action. When I swung the barrel across the 25/50 yd silhouette steel and tightened up my grip - with my finger already on the trigger. Nicked the 25 yd steel which was 30 degrees off from the intended target. It only took about 3-4 seconds for the others to realize that it was an ND, because we were all shooting the other target.

Majorly embarrassing for "Mr. Safety" who constantly rode others about safety. Obviously, there was a spring change and I learned a lesson of humble pie at 60 years old - after shooting since I was youngster.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 12:20 AM

None yet.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 01:20 AM

If I did, and I'm not saying yes or no, I wouldn't post it. As has been stated before no matter how cautious you are it will happen to you sooner or later.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 01:56 AM

Have owned a few Remington 700s over the years. The one that went bang when the safety was disengaged at least was on the bags pointed at the Berm
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 02:36 AM

t at Garland Public Range I had a 30 round mag empty on me. They just ended a cease fire and I was talking to the guy next to me about my Colt SP1. I grabbed the buffer tube with my right hand and hit the slide release with my left hand and all heck broke loose. 30 rounds gone in a few seconds. RO's we're going crazy and I was just standing there with my jaw on the floor. Got kicked out that day
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Have owned a few Remington 700s over the years. The one that went bang when the safety was disengaged at least was on the bags pointed at the Berm

That's not cool. Just because someone has dude and lady parts is no reason to point a rifle at them. peep

Back on topic...I've never had an AD with a firearm, but I've been next to three people who did. I have, however, accidentally bumped the trigger on my bow release while drawing with no arrow. That one cost me two cams, string and cables, and two limbs.
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 03:14 AM

Yep, one with a Rem 700 and next to one with a Rem Model 7. This was before we all heard about Remingtons trigger troubles. The 700 is gone, and the Model 7 now wears a Rifle Basix trigger. Thankfully, both were pointed downrange, but I still had to change my drawers !

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 04:04 AM

Grizz, you can't pick on moderator typos. They have more editing power than we do. grin
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 04:10 AM

Grizz, you can't pick on moderator typos. They have more editing power than we do. grin

We do, just thought I better correct the typo, didn't want to offend a Grizz bolt

cheers
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 04:37 AM

I had a MAK90 mostly unassembled sound off. Buttstock, dust cover, mag, and spring where off/out of the rifle. The trigger was pulled while the rifle was pointing at the garage floor. I never kept that rifle loaded at home. Ever. Strange and dumb. It was an incident not an accident. Completely avoidable.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1

We do, just thought I better correct the typo, didn't want to offend a Grizz bolt

cheers

Dang it! Now my joke doesn't make any sense.
Posted By: Regular Guy

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 05:25 PM

First, and only, so far. About ten years old, with my fingertip laid over the muzzle of a crosman 788 bb scout. There were probably over 20 pumps in the thing, watching t.v. and something startled me, and I shot myself in the finger. Oh how i cried and cried and cried, as my grandma pried on the bb in my finger with a sewing needle and a pair of tweezers

roflmao
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: NMGW
Ruger security six. Cleaned it while my Dad was off visiting Grandpa, and afterward put what I thought was 6 empties in it to dry fire. Unfortunately one was a wadcutter eeks333 Shot a hole in the living room wall that blew out the plaster on the outside of the house. Scared Mom's cannery so bad all its feathers fell out and it died a week later. As for me, lets just say deer season was a real bummer that year, cause Dad would look at me right before he shot 2 big muley bucks and say "remember the wall". That would have been my first year to hunt mule deer. Never forgot that lesson. Learned me to be VERY careful. up

Mine was also with a Security Six. It happened 35 years ago. I thought I had dumped all the rounds out. One stuck in the cylinder and I shot out my TV while watching Hill Street Blues. The TV stopped the bullet. My dad ran into the room and saw that I hadn't shot myself. He then looked at the TV and asked, "did you hit what you were aiming at?" I was 16 and have been a firearms safety fanatic ever since. It was a stupid, stupid mistake.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Mine was also with a Security Six. It happened 35 years ago. I thought I had dumped all the rounds out. One stuck in the cylinder and I shot out my TV while watching Hill Street Blues. The TV stopped the bullet. My dad ran into the room and saw that I hadn't shot myself. He then looked at the TV and asked, "did you hit what you were aiming at?" I was 16 and have been a firearms safety fanatic ever since. It was a stupid, stupid mistake.

Yep. It totally changes your outlook in safety. It has for me.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 06:53 PM

When I was about 8 or 9 my dad and I were squirrel hunting when something made me believe there was a problem with my 22 rifle. We sat down so dad could look at the gun. Somehow I managed to pull the trigger, the gun goes "click" and dad like to have had a heart attack. The rifle was pointed in his direction but the rifle did not fire. The pin hit the rim of the shell....that was the only shell in the box that did not fire when it was supposed to.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/07/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Yep. It totally changes your outlook in safety. It has for me.

Without a doubt.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/08/16 01:22 AM

Must have been about 16 when I shot out a lantern when camping in the woods before the opening day of squirrel season.

You never forget an accidental or negligent discharge with a firearm. And in many if not most cases, they involve a firearm that was loaded when there was no reason for it. It really depends on whether you're someone who is more focused on keeping you guns loaded, or someone who is more attentive on them being unloaded when not in use. The old question "Why was it loaded?" is often heard after it happens.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/08/16 04:54 PM

When I was a kid, the first time I got to go dove hunting with a real shotgun, I used a Stevens single shot 20 gauge. I was letting the hammer down and it slipped and went off. Luckily I had the firearm pointed away from anything, but I can remember my dad scolding me and telling me if there was a person on the hillside where he gun was pointed, I would have killed them. Eversince then, I have been super cautious on where the muzzle was pointed and take extra care decocking a hammer. My dad recently gave me a Winchester 1897 and he said everyone in the family has dropped the hammer on that thing at least once. The serrations on the hammer are worn almost completely off since 1908.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/08/16 08:17 PM

Only one I had was a broken transfer bar on a Savage 99 (at least that's the the gunsmith said). I worked the action and the gun fired. No one was injured except the tailgate of my cousin's pickup.
Posted By: Nighteagle

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/08/16 11:09 PM

never had an ad, but ive made a few VERY stupid mistakes. worst of em was i was at a long range class out a a local place, and we were moving locations. they were hurrying us and somehow i left a bullet in the chamber. i got to new local pulled rifle out and checked it (opened the bolt and checked it out of habbit) and out flew a freakin round. i beat myself up pretty baddly about that one.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/09/16 12:12 AM

I think that would unforgettable. Either that's wrong or it has never happened to me.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/09/16 03:44 PM

Yep, my one and only was the result of the old 700 trigger problem. I actually had a hang fire - pulled the trigger and nothing happened. No click, just nothing. Took my finger out of the trigger guard, turned the rifle slightly to make sure the safety was all the way off, and BOOM! When I cycled the bolt I got a slam fire on the next round. No danger to anyone since I was alone in the woods with a nice 10 point at the time.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/09/16 03:55 PM

My one is still edged deeply in my mind and each time I go into the woods...

I was about 14 and was hunting a ridge with my father. I loaded the gun when we got set up on a ridge watching a draw. There was alot of movement early that morning but the last 2 hours, the deer had pretty much all already passed through or laid up. I picked up the gun and was "practicing" holding my cross hairs on things out of boredom. First a cactus, then a bush, then a tree...well, found a fork in the tree and wanted to try to hold it steady on the fork. Then decided to ease the trigger down to see if the crosshairs moved...they didn't until the gun went boom. Scared the crap out of me. I had forgot to engage the safety after bolting it.

After the shot, I put the gun on safety and just slowly put the gun back down. We sat there for what seemed like eternity while I waited to get my lecture. It was probably 10-15 minutes later and Dad looked at me and said, "well, did you hit it?". I answered "yes sir". We sat for about 5 more minutes and he said "well, don't think much will be moving after that. You ready to go?"..."yes sir".

Later that night he asked me about it. We had a short discussion and he made his point. Pretty sure he knew how terrified I was and that the shock of it made an impact. To this day, my finger is constantly checking the safety over and over when a gun is in my hand.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/09/16 05:38 PM

I never had one, but I came close to causing one right in my gut, then it occurred to me "WTF are you doing stupid?" and I cut out what I was doing. So stupid, I was basically starting to use my belly as a third hand to rack my slide. I can't believe I'm admitting it.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/09/16 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
My one is still edged deeply in my mind and each time I go into the woods...

I was about 14 and was hunting a ridge with my father. I loaded the gun when we got set up on a ridge watching a draw. There was alot of movement early that morning but the last 2 hours, the deer had pretty much all already passed through or laid up. I picked up the gun and was "practicing" holding my cross hairs on things out of boredom. First a cactus, then a bush, then a tree...well, found a fork in the tree and wanted to try to hold it steady on the fork. Then decided to ease the trigger down to see if the crosshairs moved...they didn't until the gun went boom. Scared the crap out of me. I had forgot to engage the safety after bolting it.

After the shot, I put the gun on safety and just slowly put the gun back down. We sat there for what seemed like eternity while I waited to get my lecture. It was probably 10-15 minutes later and Dad looked at me and said, "well, did you hit it?". I answered "yes sir". We sat for about 5 more minutes and he said "well, don't think much will be moving after that. You ready to go?"..."yes sir".

Later that night he asked me about it. We had a short discussion and he made his point. Pretty sure he knew how terrified I was and that the shock of it made an impact. To this day, my finger is constantly checking the safety over and over when a gun is in my hand.

I did that same thing when I was 16 with my Mauser in 308 while deer hunting. Poor squirrel blew up.

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/09/16 10:34 PM

There have been many, many AD's listed here. The ONE thing which stands out is everyone was "smart", "educated" enough to have the guns pointed in a safe direction

KUDO's up

I had one close call with my bolt action .22 which proves my point above. I took my rifle out of the case after a trip to the range, going to oil it and put it away. As I was taught by "Uncle Gene" my mentor when I was a kid. I opened the bolt, and of course a live round popped out.

Thanks Uncle Gene !!!
Posted By: TxDiver

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/09/16 10:49 PM

A couple years ago I had a Savage 99 go off when I pushed the safety from safe to fire. Luckily all I shot was the dirt about 10 feet in front of me. After I calmed down I put it back on safe, unloaded it, worked the action, pushed the safety forward and heard it click as it dry fired. Took that gun to the gunsmith the next week and had it fixed, however I was never fully confident with it again and ended up selling it.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/10/16 03:44 PM

I had a firing pin spring freeze up once in some nasty frozen conditions during a NM Elk, Muley hunt. Pulled trigger, rifle did not fire. Immediately pointed it to the ground, went to move to safety-on and clear chamber. During that move the firing pin spring released and rifle fired. Not cool, but good learning for me about what alternating rain/sleet/melting/freezing can do to a rifle when you are out in it all day.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/10/16 04:32 PM

I was 16 it was dark and she smelled good..............
Posted By: passthru

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/10/16 06:42 PM

Exact same thing happened to me. Trigger screw was stressed from my adjustment I guess and broke it the cold temps of Colorado. Wish I was on his shoulder when I flipped the safety off.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/10/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest
I was 16 it was dark and she smelled good..............

Hmmm, would that be an ND or an AD? laugh
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Feelin Nostalgic...your first accidental discharge - 02/10/16 09:39 PM

My first one was just a couple of weeks ago. Wife and I and our neighbors joined a gun club and went out to shoot for the first time. We are at the pistol range, my wife and the neighbors wife are shooting a little 380 and a 38 revolver, I was shooting an Fn 5.7 and my neighbor guy was shooting an old 9mm that he has borrowed from a friend, the girls finish up and have walked to the truck or bathroom or whatever and he comes over and says man this thing is messing up, sometimes it just wont fire, so I take a look at it. Drop the magazine and racked the slide and a bullet ejected, I put the magazine back in & racked the slide, wont fire, I see the hammer isnt back so I reach up with my thumb and pull it back BOOM! gun goes off and flies out of my hand and onto the ground facing us with hammer back. Had me shook up a bit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum