Texas Hunting Forum

Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/03/16 10:13 PM

I've been watching the TV show on Sportsman's Channel called "Long Range Reality"

about 95% of the competitors are using a chassis system for their stocks.

Are these chassis stocks the future of long-range rifle shooting????

I like them....... kinda.....but they seem "cold" compared to the "warm" McMillan or Manners.

So, what's up wid dat??? confused2
Posted By: Earl

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/03/16 10:27 PM

Ha...and the McMillan's and Manner's seem "cold" to me compared to say Hathcock's wood on his Winchester M70...It's all a matter of perspective...nothing is ever constant but change.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/03/16 10:30 PM

The chassis are more expensive, they've seen them on TV, etc. etc..

It is possible but unlikely that the guns with chassis stocks shoot better than graphite or glass.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/03/16 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Earl
Ha...and the McMillan's and Manner's seem "cold" to me compared to say Hathcock's wood on his Winchester M70...It's all a matter of perspective...nothing is ever constant but change.

Yep.

Chassis systems make sense. They don't look too bad, either. If it's not wood, doesn't make much difference.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/03/16 10:34 PM

I AGREE ON WOOD

REASON I BOUGHT MY SAKO M85 BAVARIAN CARBINE. LOVE TO SNUGGLE WITH IT angel
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/03/16 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: charlesb

It is possible but unlikely that the guns with chassis stocks shoot better than graphite or glass.

Chassis can cost the exact same money as a composite plus bottom metal. But, yes, can cost more.

Chassis stocked rifles do not shoot any better. Put the same barreled action in either stock and it will shoot the same, provided the action is equally locked in, and the barrel always remains free-floated in any position.

As long as it takes to get a Manners of McMillan I doubt they are, or ever will be hurting for business.

Chassis vs. composite is nothing more that personal preference. I prefer composite, but I have no ill will towards chassis.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/03/16 10:48 PM

I wanted to go Manners or McMillan but the wait was too long. Never could find something in stock for my Savage. Also base cost for them were $500 to $600 plus bottom metal for mag $130 and up inched the price up. I decided to go with a MDT Chassis starting at $450 plus a AR butt stock and the chassis was in stock. Chassis was ready to drop action in and no work to it at all.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Chassis can cost the exact same money as a composite plus bottom metal. But, yes, can cost more.

Chassis stocked rifles do not shoot any better. Put the same barreled action in either stock and it will shoot the same, provided the action is equally locked in, and the barrel always remains free-floated in any position.

As long as it takes to get a Manners of McMillan I doubt they are, or ever will be hurting for business.

Chassis vs. composite is nothing more that personal preference. I prefer composite, but I have no ill will towards chassis.

I think the big reason you are seeing a lot of chassis is because of how easy it is to switch some parts from your AR15 to the chassis. Lights, bipods, a lot of the stuff that our snipers run on there AR15's will mount to the rails on a chassis and give the same feel. Plus, a lot of them fold, making storing and transport very easy. I prefer the feel of composite, chassis don't seem to fit me very well
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 02:41 AM

In addition to the modularity, they seem like they would be very adjustable to fit just about any size shooter. I would like to handle one and see for myself.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 03:12 AM

http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/carl-taylor-1024x576.jpg
http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/long-range-reality-annie-1024x576.jpg
http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/long-range-reality-jason-1024x576.jpg
http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/long-range-reality-clint-1024x576.jpg
http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/long-range-reality-chris-1024x576.jpg
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I AGREE ON WOOD

REASON I BOUGHT MY SAKO M85 BAVARIAN CARBINE. LOVE TO SNUGGLE WITH IT angel

Don't make me do it bro.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I AGREE ON WOOD...LOVE TO SNUGGLE WITH IT angel

FIFY, seems sig worthy, Buzz! rofl
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 08:26 AM

I think part of it has to do with the popularity of the Ruger Precision rifle. You can buy that rifle off the shelf, put a scope on it and be shooting in 1000 yard competitions. Hundreds of rings available in multiple positions on the top rail, you can also change with hand guard, grip, and stock with hundreds of other options. I'm sure drop in triggers will be out for it soon. It's a very accurate modular gun that takes AR parts. You don't have to change the entire stock if it doesn't fit you perfect.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 02:41 PM

I still cant decide on fiberglass vs chassis. If long range competition shooters are moving to chassis systems, that doesn't necessarily mean they are better.

I've been cycling for a long time and over the years I've seen all kinds of trends. Frame material, wheel sizes, etc. Typically whatever pro racers are using and what is featured in magazines is what the general crowd gravitates to. I tend to gravitate towards practicality. I ride a steel and titanium for mountain bike....because they are strong materials that can take a beating. I ride carbon fiber for road bike....because it is lightweight and rigid.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 03:02 PM

Once you pay to inlet and bottom metal a glass stock the chassis are not anymore expensive and sometimes cheaper.

6 one, half dozen to another.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
I still cant decide on fiberglass vs chassis. If long range competition shooters are moving to chassis systems, that doesn't necessarily mean they are better.

There are plenty of cases where they run what they are running because they are sponsored by that company. A guy might like NF better, but if Vortex wants to give him a Razor, he's going to use a Razor. I've seen all brands of chassis and composite stocks for years. It is personal preference and sponsorship that determines what people use. One is not "better" than the other.

I can see why the military would gravitate toward chassis. They get to mount an NV or thermal in front of their day optic when operating at night. Add an IR designator for calling in air strikes, and the chassis works well.

But hunting and competing, it is Ford vs Chevy.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 03:43 PM

Just personal preference but I like the chassis systems as they are easier to get behind as they are more easily adjustable. Also they resemble my AR platforms so easy to transition.

I own a traditional Over/Under along with semi shotguns but have yet to pick up a regular stock bolt action for some reason.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 05:46 PM

IMO, a fine wood stock is to a rifle or shotgun, what a sexy dress is to an attractive women. It just makes it look so much better.

And likewise, a solid-colored, synthetic stock is like a woman in a plain dress with no makeup.

I've seen guys who would select a specific new rifle or shotgun of the same model just because of the grain and appearance of the wood in the stock.

Wood just gives a gun more balance, not to mention reducing recoil due to the added weight. I was handling a rifle with a synthetic stock a few weeks back at Academy and dang near dropped it when the guy working the counter handed it to. All the weight was heavily in the front.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, a fine wood stock is to a rifle or shotgun, what a sexy dress is to an attractive women. It just makes it look so much better.

And likewise, a solid-colored, synthetic stock is like a woman in a plain dress with no makeup.

I've seen guys who would select a specific new rifle or shotgun of the same model just because of the grain and appearance of the wood in the stock.

Wood just gives a gun more balance, not to mention reducing recoil due to the added weight. I was handling a rifle with a synthetic stock a few weeks back at Academy and dang near dropped it when the guy working the counter handed it to. All the weight was heavily in the front.

The Ruger Americans I handled were like that.
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 06:07 PM

One of my hunting mentors used to make his local gun shop order the same shotgun over and over until he found one with the best wood. I really don't think any shop would do that anymore.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
In addition to the modularity, they seem like they would be very adjustable to fit just about any size shooter. I would like to handle one and see for myself.

one benefit I see of chassis is ability to adjust length of pull and cheek weld

what chassis have you looked at ?

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 08:22 PM

Well we're also talking fiberglass vs chassis stocks here. Synthetic/plastic stocks are a completely different animal and pretty much suck across the board.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 09:30 PM

Well we're also talking fiberglass vs chassis stocks here. Synthetic/plastic stocks are a completely different animal and pretty much suck across the board.

Yep. Plastic stocks are not the same thing. And sure, a nice wood stock is great, but I'm clumsy. I don't think I could take a beautiful wood stock to the range without dinging it up, much less out to hunt with it.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 10:33 PM

I like my wood.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: &#8594Mickey Moose&#8592
I like my wood.

Going to let that one lay there. offtopic
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/04/16 11:09 PM

I'm just old school by saying there are only two kinds of gun stocks. Those made of solid wood, and those that are not.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 12:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Yep. Plastic stocks are not the same thing. And sure, a nice wood stock is great, but I'm clumsy. I don't think I could take a beautiful wood stock to the range without dinging it up, much less out to hunt with it.

I like some character on my guns.
Posted By: Misfire

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 12:36 AM

I believe that most pro shooters are shooting fiberglass stocks over chassis systems. There is a distinct trend of brands that are consistently winning when you look at the top finishers in precision rifle series.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/11/28/rifle-chassis/

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

I like some character on my guns.

He was talking about a fine piece of wood I think. Figured English walnut type wood. The kind of stock that costs a couple grand. I don't know anybody with that kind of stock that like "character".

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 02:30 PM

What's the point in spending that much money on a rifle stock if you're not going to use the hell out of it? grin

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 03:09 PM

What's the point in spending that much money on a rifle stock if you're not going to use the hell out of it? grin

I agree. I have a couple of wood guns that sit in the safe alot and in doubled up gun socks. If they were synthetic, fiberglass they'd get used alot more.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 03:50 PM

I use my wood stocked guns. They show it, too.

I do have one with a maple stock that I'm very careful with, but I do use it. I don't want to beat it up, but I don't cry about it when it happens.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 05:33 PM

I use my wood stocked guns. They show it, too.

I do have one with a maple stock that I'm very careful with, but I do use it. I don't want to beat it up, but I don't cry about it when it happens.

When I put together my custom Harley, the guys I ran with would park their rides in the livingroom all week, and go after them with a tooth-pick. They would only take them out on week-ends, and were afraid to get into the throttle when they did.

Not me! - I put mine through its paces every time my butt hit the saddle. My Hardly-Ableton was appreciated to the fullest possible extent, by all except for a few law enforcement officers perhaps.

I'm the same way with firearms... Of course I take care of them, but I sure do not treat them like hanger queens, they all get used for the intended purpose. There are not a lot of scratches and dings, but the ones that are there each has it's own story.
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 05:43 PM

this has gotten way off topic

the OP was talking about snipers using plastic stocks -> chassis

he wasn't talking about general populace shooting with woody thirty thirty

I 've been looking at chassis and there are some really well made ones to choose from
I'll post a report later

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
this has gotten way off topic

the OP was talking about snipers using plastic stocks -> chassis

he wasn't talking about general populace shooting with woody thirty thirty

I 've been looking at chassis and there are some really well made ones to choose from
I'll post a report later

Welcome to every forum in the history of the internet.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 08:10 PM

I thought the guys on the first page covered the subject fairly well.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/05/16 10:10 PM

I approved this highjack texas

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/06/16 09:31 PM

Just in. Gonna give the KRG Whiskey 3 a shot. Threw my old 243 adl in it to see how it works. Should work perfect for the 6.5 creedmoor Krieger barreled action im waiting on. So far Im pretty impressed. It has a ton of modularity and ergonomics are fantastic.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/07/16 12:12 AM

Heard good things about those stocks. Looks good.
Posted By: JGreys0n

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/07/16 02:28 PM

Chassis systems make sense. They don't look too bad

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/07/16 10:32 PM

- And a chassis makes the rifle look like a crack ho. No meat on it, no curves, all boney.

Just fooling around.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/07/16 10:38 PM

Crack hoes have one job, to perform. Chassis perform, as well as composite stocks.

Hits on target matter far more to some people than how the rifle looks.

Yesterday I had 31 shooters out. Wood was the least common stock material. Just sayin.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 01:38 AM

Some people like for the rifle to be accurate and look good too.

Everybody has their own idea as to what looks good, and are entitled to their opinion. Giving them a hard time about it is stupid.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 01:50 AM

Then stop giving "them" a hard time about it.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 01:57 AM

popcorn
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:01 AM

This is what camp I fall into. Just fits me better and I think it's sexy.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:02 AM

Heres where I see a big advantage for chassis. Right now im putting together a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Before I commit to a stock and bottom metal I just want to see if the barreled action is a shooter and if i like the caliber. I can drop the barreled, scoped action into a chassis with no gunsmithing, no wait time. If it turns out to be a shooter I'll order the fiberglass stock and bottom metal I really want. Once the fiberglass stock arrives I can then sell the chassis and it'll be turn key for someone else.

Same thing with bolt knob, cerakote, and other non essentials. If she shoots I'll spend more $ on her. If she doesnt shoot, I'll let some other guy deal with her
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:04 AM

I'm not a sniper but I do like McMillan stocks. I have 3 of them, 2 camo and one Mcswirly. I really like the looks of Manners too although I don't own one. I also like wood, I have 5 rifles with wood stocks including 3 mannlicher style stocks. I haven't made it to a chassis but variety is the spice of life.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:06 AM

Heres where I see a big advantage for chassis. Right now im putting together a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. Before I commit to a stock and bottom metal I just want to see if the barreled action is a shooter and if i like the caliber. I can drop the barreled, scoped action into a chassis with no gunsmithing, no wait time. If it turns out to be a shooter I'll order the fiberglass stock and bottom metal I really want. Once the fiberglass stock arrives I can then sell the chassis and it'll be turn key for someone else.

Same thing with bolt knob, cerakote, and other non essentials. If she shoots I'll spend more $ on her. If she doesnt shoot, I'll let some other guy deal with her

Why not just keep the chassis?

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Why not just keep the chassis?

Im in love with the Mcmillan A5. Im just using the KRG like a crack ho.

In all seriousness, we'll see if chassis grows on me but I just like wood and fiberglass stocks so much.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:56 AM

Gotcha I'm the "AR Guy" as most people refer to me on the forum so chassis just fit me better than wood or Fiberglass. Guess it reminds me of an AR in a bolt gun package.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 03:59 AM

I'm throwin' all my walnut into the danged woodstove. I wanna be a sniper too.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 12:28 PM

Crack hoes have one job, to perform. Chassis perform, as well as composite stocks.

Yesterday I had 31 shooters out. Wood was the least common stock material. Just sayin.

Yes, I do not imagine that there would be a lot of the the finer quality firearms there, mainly stuff that is either plastic or painted.

They all saw the sniper movie, and know what they want to pretend they are doing. roflmao

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 01:03 PM

Yes, I do not imagine that there would be a lot of the the finer quality firearms there, mainly stuff that is either plastic or painted.

They all saw the sniper movie, and know what they want to pretend they are doing. roflmao

Hmm don't believe I saw the anyone shooting at deer, bobcat, and prairie dog silhouettes in "the sniper movie". Match is clearly geared towards hunters not snipers. You have no idea what you're taking about.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 01:03 PM

He makes a good point. There are tactical enthusiasts that wouldn't be caught dead with a wooden stock no matter how well it performed.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:27 PM

It's funny how you alienate the same people you're advertising your services to. I think I'll get on Facebook and slam Ballistic Precision now. Peace.

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

It's funny how you alienate the same people you're advertising your services to. I think I'll get on Facebook and slam Ballistic Precision now. Peace.

Haha

Re: Snipers going away from plastic/glass stocks - 02/08/16 02:36 PM

If I would have been able to participate I would have had all my fine quality wood firearms out there. I love banging those guns around and getting mud all over them. Heck I probably would have worn a full tuxedo and shiny shoes. How stupid would it have been for me to show up with old clothes, rubber boots, and plastic guns?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum