Texas Hunting Forum

Buffer and Spring Question

Posted By: eneat1119

Buffer and Spring Question - 02/03/16 08:32 PM

Just bought a new CMMG CBR in 308.

Took off the ACS-L and accompanying buffer tube. Replaced with a UTG A2 buffer tube for Ar15 and Magpul MOE Fixed Stock.

Currently I'm using the buffer that came with the 308/ACS-L and using the spring that came with the UTG A2 Ar15 stock buffer tube.

Is this going to work or do I need to replace either the buffer or the spring or both?
Posted By: dredd

Re: Buffer and Spring Question - 02/04/16 12:41 AM

Measure the depth of the two "tubes".

If they are the same, no changes required.

If the new one is deeper, you can simply add a spacer.

If the new one is shallower, you'll most likely need a different buffer & spring.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Buffer and Spring Question - 02/04/16 12:52 AM

Pretty sure you need a buffer and spring for an AR-10, not AR-15.
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Buffer and Spring Question - 02/04/16 12:55 AM

If I read this correctly you have a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube with an AR-15 buffer spring. No good.

The AR-15 Spring is to light for the AR-10 which could cause harsher recoil and cycling issues. The buffer is to short for the rifle buffer tube. They have the little bumpers on them because they can/will bottom out in the tube which keeps them from traveling to far. With a shorter buffer and lighter spring the carrier could over travel.

Replace with a .308 rifle buffer and .308 buffer spring.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Buffer and Spring Question - 02/04/16 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: hdfireman
If I read this correctly you have a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube with an AR-15 buffer spring. No good.

The AR-15 Spring is to light for the AR-10 which could cause harsher recoil and cycling issues. The buffer is to short for the rifle buffer tube. They have the little bumpers on them because they can/will bottom out in the tube which keeps them from traveling to far. With a shorter buffer and lighter spring the carrier could over travel.

Replace with a .308 rifle buffer and .308 buffer spring.
This be true, if ar15 spring/tube/buffer used it will not cycle right, will have chambering problems.
Posted By: dredd

Re: Buffer and Spring Question - 02/04/16 02:52 PM

I had one cartridge stuck in my head.
Sorry.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: Buffer and Spring Question - 02/05/16 03:11 PM

Thank you gentlemen. wink

I went ahead and ordered a JP Silent Captured Spring. Thought why not? Anyone have any experience with these?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum