Texas Hunting Forum

Barrel diameter vs. threading

Posted By: ZK-315

Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 04:21 PM

Is there a good standard for threading certain muzzle diameters with a certain threading size?

For instence, a gun I'm having built has a Brux #5 contour and it'll be threaded to a 5/8-24 for my Harvestor. I also have a Rem700 22-250 which I believe has the varmint contour that I was hoping to get threaded for the same can. Although I havent gotten around to measuring the diameter of that barrel (22-250) just yet, it got me to thinking about other guns/barrel contours.

Is one to assume that as long as the diameter of the barrel is larger than the major diameter of the threads, then its good to go with that particular thread size?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 04:38 PM

Correct. And you need to make sure you have enough of a shoulder left for the brake/suppressor to bud up to. For example, the 5/8"x24 is .625" wide. Your Brux #5 contour barrel should be .700" at the muzzle. This leaves .075" of a shoulder for the muzzle brake or suppressor to bud up to. How much shoulder is needed for reliable threading? Not sure. That's a gunsmith question. But figuring out your muzzle threading depends on the caliber and how much meat (muzzle diameter) is on the muzzle to thread and still have enough shoulder to attach your device.

http://www.bruxbarrels.com/gpage1.html

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Correct. And you need to make sure you have enough of a shoulder left for the brake/suppressor to bud up to. For example, the 5/8"x24 is .625" wide. Your Brux #5 contour barrel should be .700" at the muzzle. This leaves .075" of a shoulder for the muzzle brake or suppressor to bud up to. How much shoulder is needed for reliable threading? Not sure. That's a gunsmith question. But figuring out your muzzle threading depends on the caliber and how much meat (muzzle diameter) is on the muzzle to thread and still have enough shoulder to attach your device.

http://www.bruxbarrels.com/gpage1.html

Good info. The red is what I was trying to ask, you just put it in much better words. Thanks.

Obviously to a certain extent, bigger is better, but anyone know of what a good minimum shoulder should be? Although I'm sure Chad already knows, but that 0.075 is total. 0.0375" would be each side. Just a little fyi to others. up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 05:02 PM

I wouldn't be afraid of a .0375" shoulder.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 05:04 PM

One of the key measures it's what's max od for thread pattern. Most production rifles are not going to have an outer diameter to thread 5/8

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 05:08 PM

Cleric, thats kind of what i'm thinking on the wife's gun. May just rebarrel it in the next year or two, then i can shoot bigger bullets whistle
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 05:11 PM

Get a thread adapter for rifle or 1/2 mount for the can and thread the rifle 1/2

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 05:18 PM

The brux is already threaded at 5/8-24. I was just bored and got to thinking about my wifes gun. I've thought of a thread adapter, but i still like the idea of a tighter twist barrel for her 22-250, and it gives me an excuse for it haha
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 05:51 PM

Most common barrel contours on a standard hunting rifle is about a "standard sporter" size barrel, about a #2 contour (or a #3, depending on who's contour chart). 5/8"x24 is too big, so most go to a 9/16" threading. A lot of factory barrels run this size threading.

Re: Barrel diameter vs. threading - 02/02/16 06:00 PM

Good to know Chad. I'll measure that barrel this evening to see what dia. it is.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum