Texas Hunting Forum

Shotgun barrel length question

Posted By: BuckshotBuddy

Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 02:33 PM

I just bought a stoeger 12ga which has a 18.5 inch barrel , if I add a choke of some sort would that be factored into the length making it legal to hunt with?
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 02:38 PM

I don't believe the choke can be used to figure legal length. 18.5 is legal tho.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 03:14 PM

Assuming you live in Texas, its already legal to hunt with. No minimum barrel length for hunting.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 03:28 PM

Legal barrel length is a Federal Regulation, and the States have no say so...Just Sayin'
Ron

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Legal barrel length is a Federal Regulation, and the States have no say so...Just Sayin'
Ron

Not true. A state can have a more stringent law than the feds, just not less so. Legal barrel lenght and legal hunting length are 2 different things. In Texas, there isn't one. Idk about other states.
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 07:14 PM

^^ what they said.

I'd still consider adding a full choke or getting a longer barrel just to have a better chance of hitting something. But in a pinch, it'll at least get you out there and going. smile
Posted By: P_102

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 07:33 PM

Adding a full choke increases chances of hitting something? Please explain, I'm cornfused.

P_102
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 07:55 PM

Rather, see what choke is on there and possibly see if it could be tighter. A longer barrel would probably be better though. I know my old 18.5" barrel spread the shot far too quickly. I moved to 28" and all of a sudden I'm hitting things at hunting distances.

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 08:43 PM

You are legal in Texas.

Scary, an 18.5" barrel with 'x' choke does not spread shot any faster than longer barrel with the same choke. In the same way, barrel length does not make it easier to hit something other than providing a longer sight plane which most prefer. Barrel length is only a concern if it's so short that velocity suffers.

P_102
Posted By: booradley

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
You are legal in Texas.

Scary, an 18.5" barrel with 'x' choke does not spread shot any faster than longer barrel with the same choke. In the same way, barrel length does not make it easier to hit something other than providing a longer sight plane which most prefer. Barrel length is only a concern if it's so short that velocity suffers.

P_102

Exactly.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Ron

Not true. A state can have a more stringent law than the feds, just not less so. Legal barrel lenght and legal hunting length are 2 different things. In Texas, there isn't one. Idk about other states.
I would like to see you convince G.W., LEO of that fact
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/28/16 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Ron

What is there to convince?
Posted By: FWBanger

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/29/16 12:39 AM

A quick review of chapter 46.01 (10) of the Texas Penal Code will prove that a shotgun in Texas must have at least an 18 inch barrel and must be at least 26 inches overall. A detachable/removable choke cannot be considered as part of the barrel. You are legal to hunt with your gun as is.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/29/16 01:04 AM

The only real question is a 26" better than a 28". That's a debate. I'm in the 26" camp.

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/29/16 03:36 AM

26" or 28"... Depends on use and gun type. Overall, shorter and lighter in the field, longer and heavier in the clay sports. My field guns (28 ga. OU, 20 ga. semi auto and 16 ga. pump, (my favorite in Mod. 12)), have 26 and 28" bbls and are light, my skeet gun has 30" bbls and is heavy. P_102

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/29/16 04:07 AM

Ron

Not sure what you mean by that. There's no law currently.

I'm saying Texas could, if they wanted, say that minimum barrel length in Texas is now 22". There is nothing you could do about it. You wouldn't be breaking federal law, but would be breaking a state law.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Shotgun barrel length question - 01/29/16 08:33 PM

Ron

Not sure what you mean by that. There's no law currently.

I'm saying Texas could, if they wanted, say that minimum barrel length in Texas is now 22". There is nothing you could do about it. You wouldn't be breaking federal law, but would be breaking a state law.

Yep.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum