Posted By: colt45-90

.357 mag coonan - 01/26/16 11:41 PM

anyone have opinions?
Posted By: bo3

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/26/16 11:45 PM

I need one.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/26/16 11:59 PM

I was shooting next to Dan Coonan many years ago and got to fire a few 38 special rounds through his personal gun. It felt and funtioned quite well. This is the second go around at marketing the gun the one I fired was from the first.
Posted By: Fez

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/27/16 01:28 AM

Great trigger! Rings steel really quick!

Shoot hot ammo if you don't reload: American Eagle is good, even the Academy Monarch ammo works good in it, but I just tried some Wal-Mart stuff that wouldn't cycle very well at all.

You're gonna spend a lot of money if you get one, so might as well spring for night sights. I have the fixed nights and they're really nice.

DON'T lose the loading pin. It's possible to load without it but it's so much nicer with it.

Ask away...
Posted By: jab3006

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/27/16 03:27 AM

I also need one!

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/27/16 03:55 AM

Just a hint if you misplace the pin a small hex wrench can be slid through the hole or at least it worked with the Model B's.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/27/16 11:32 AM

didn't know about the loading, how does that work? thanks

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/27/16 02:50 PM

Here's a link to Coonan's accessories page link if you look at the magazines pictured there is a slot with a round button with a hole in the middle. You put the pin through that and pull down to compress the spring then you can put the cartridges into the magazines. There is a picture of the pin in the lower right corner.
Posted By: Jhendrix

Re: .357 mag coonan - 01/28/16 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Fez
Great trigger! Rings steel really quick!

Shoot hot ammo if you don't reload: American Eagle is good, even the Academy Monarch ammo works good in it, but I just tried some Wal-Mart stuff that wouldn't cycle very well at all.

Same here... Mine cycles fine with any 38spc rounds and the lighter spring. It was finicky with first 100 rounds or so of .357 on the heavier spring. It cycles fine now with any .357 ammo.
Posted By: Fez

Re: .357 mag coonan - 02/01/16 02:21 AM

Oh, loading the magazines is like nsmike said, kinda like loading one of the many .22s nowadays that have the nubs for you to pull down the follower through the outside of the magazine, but instead of nubs, you have a hole through which the pin goes. It's really easy to load with the pin. Without the pin, it's like loading a magazine the old fashioned way with your thumb of your off hand. I'm used to an UpLULA loader for all my other magazines now, but I never use it for single stacks. And I haven't lost the pin, but I always leave it in the house when I shoot and I don't feel like taking off my boots to get it.

Jhendrix, I haven't shot .38s through mine yet. Did you have to break in the .38 spring? And how about the gap in the magazine, any trouble?

The good part about having a .357 revolver is shooting anything you want through it without trouble. Not that the Coonan is trouble, but I've put a few boxes of Blazer and walmart ammo away for the revolver only. Most of the ammo that wouldn't cycle the Coonan was actually really accurate out of it shooting it single-shot though.
Posted By: Jhendrix

Re: .357 mag coonan - 02/02/16 10:21 PM

Fez, here is more detail with my break-in period.

I shot 100 rds .357 with the 10# spring. No issues at at. Never had to hand cycle it. I then shot .38spc with that spring and it cycles fine. I switched to the heavier swing and shot .357 ammo. I had to hand cycle it frequently during the first 100 rds on that heavier springs. After that, I've had no issues at all.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: .357 mag coonan - 02/02/16 11:52 PM

I see that they all have an external extractor. Any issues there? Just because I've heard some people don't like them. My Sig has one so I was wondering.

What kind of price point are the Coonans?
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: .357 mag coonan - 02/02/16 11:53 PM

Never mind. WHEEEEW! Looks like it's Sig for a while for me
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: .357 mag coonan - 02/03/16 03:32 AM

My dad has an original one not the newer ones. I love that pistol, and i hope he never sells it. Functions awesome and very accurate.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum