Texas Hunting Forum

Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready?

Posted By: jeepercreeper

Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 02:05 AM

Someone told me this today and I have never heard this before. I always assumed bedding was required with all McMillan stocks but their site says its discretionary?
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 02:09 AM

Bedding is a final melding of a stock to an action and or barrel. It fills voids and minor imperfections in the mating of the parts. Many shoot a Mcmillan as a drop in and are pleased with the performance. The more anal of us loonies bed everything. Bolt it up and shoot it
If you aren't happy, bed it.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 02:40 AM

I never bedded mine and it shoots great. Like previous poster said, try it first and see how it does.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Texasteach
Bedding is a final melding of a stock to an action and or barrel. It fills voids and minor imperfections in the mating of the parts. Many shoot a Mcmillan as a drop in and are pleased with the performance. The more anal of us loonies bed everything. Bolt it up and shoot it
If you aren't happy, bed it.

^^This^^ Thread completed.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 03:03 AM

Hmm, guess you learn something new everyday. I always assumed bedding was required with Mcmillan or Manners stocks. Good to know.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: jeepercreeper
Hmm, guess you learn something new everyday. I always assumed bedding was required with Mcmillan or Manners stocks. Good to know.

Had a McMillan A-5, not bedded, with a Savage action that shot, one ragged hole.

Have a Manners T-4, bedded, with a Rem 700 action that will shoot one ragged hole.

Have a Manners T-4, not bedded, with Tikka a action that will shoot one ragged hole.

Have another Manners T-4, Tikka action, that is almost shooting one ragged hole. Maybe it needs bedding? confused2
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 06:29 AM

Sometimes skim bedding helps milk that last little bit from a rifle. Many times it is not needed though.

Never have I seem where a propper bedding job hurt accuracy
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 03:05 PM

Skim milk bedding?
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Skim milk bedding?

My habit is to grind or cut out enough material so that it takes the skim out of skim bedding. - You want to give the epoxy or glass a chance to get a bite into the material and hold on.

A Boyds stock that I bought recently was so close to being A-OK without bedding that I had to hog out a little material when I decided to bed it.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 04:00 PM

As said above, stock should have pillars installed and bedded.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Mcmillan stocks are drop in ready? - 01/26/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Sometimes skim bedding helps milk that last little bit from a rifle. Many times it is not needed though.

Never have I seem where a propper bedding job hurt accuracy

Agree...I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do it if accuracy is their end game.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum