Texas Hunting Forum

Need semi-auto shotgun info

Posted By: Fatdaddy

Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 02:23 PM

I am looking at purchasing a 12ga semi-auto tactical shotgun. Have been doing some research and am being told that semi-auto shotguns need to have the gas rings replaced every 200 rounds or they become unreliable. Anyone have any first hand knowledge about this as this could be a deal breaker.
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 02:25 PM

Who told you that? dunce
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 02:26 PM

That would be false
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 02:27 PM

Buy an inertia gun like a Benelli M2 tactical or a Vinci tactical. Problem solved.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 05:26 PM

Absolutely false.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 05:50 PM

No
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 06:04 PM

You just need to make sure it has tactical rings or it won't really be a tactical shotgun.

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
You just need to make sure it has tactical rings or it won't really be a tactical shotgun.

clap
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 08:02 PM

I have a Remington 1100 20ga (not LT) made in the 60s or 70s, it's never had the rings replaced.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/22/16 08:29 PM

You need to find more reliable sources. My Mossberg has over 2000 rounds with minimal cleaning and no parts replacement.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/23/16 01:43 AM

1100's have O rings but run much much longer than 200 rounds and are also simple to replace. What do you mean by gas rings? I have Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, and FABARM gas semi's and they don't have gas rings that I've ever seen.

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/23/16 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
Who told you that? dunce

Guy at a local gun shop. Clearly a guy that does not know what he is talking about.

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/23/16 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: booradley
1100's have O rings but run much much longer than 200 rounds and are also simple to replace. What do you mean by gas rings? I have Winchester, Browning, Weatherby, and FABARM gas semi's and they don't have gas rings that I've ever seen.

I dont know anything about gas rings and shotguns. Thats why I am posting this so I can hear from the real experts.
Posted By: dubee

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/23/16 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: hunting.nut
Originally Posted By: T Bone
Who told you that? dunce

Guy at a local gun shop. Clearly a guy that does not know what he is talking about.

Never let him touch your guns.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/23/16 11:52 PM

Don't buy a Remington and you are fine.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/25/16 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
I have a Remington 1100 20ga (not LT) made in the 60s or 70s, it's never had the rings replaced.

I am far from a shotgun expert but I know the two, Remington 870 and Beretta 390, I have both have a couple-few thousand rounds and have never needed such a repair, just like QuitShootinYoungBucks. My Remington is from the 80s.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/25/16 11:21 PM

If you have a remington 1100 and don't have the spare O ring in your box, kit, truck, get one. That's the most common Remington 1100 failure other than just being nasty.

The only ones I've ever replaced actual gas rings on were Smith and Wesson's, the original 1000's were awful about gumming up and eating into the pistons. I have replaced a few on older brownings and remingtons, mainly from neglect.

As stated above, get a Benelli, and just go hunting.
Posted By: bass101

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/26/16 12:17 AM

Browning
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/26/16 08:32 AM

bs I know I have shot over 2k+ out of my Mossberg 930 SPX I can say it Will Eat Anything and spit them out just as fast as you full the trigger!
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/26/16 01:56 PM

I have seen sporting clays and trap shooters put 20-40,000 rounds through their semi's and never change anything other than cleaning them.
The Benelli tactical shotguns are some of the best out there. Easy to clean when needed and will function with just about any tactical/home defense shotgun ammo you could find.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/26/16 02:03 PM

My Beretta 390 Silver Mallard has had literally THOUSANDS of rounds through it and never had an issue; just clean it according to manufactures specs and your good to go.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/26/16 04:28 PM

Listen to the guys talking about Remington 1100's...they do have o-rings and they will fail. The guy exaggerated the frequency quite a bit but it does happen and as sig said just get an oring to keep in your kit and you'll be fine.

Beretta/Benelli/Browning/Winchester SX are all great shotguns (in no particular order) that will not need orings. Get the one that feels the best.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/26/16 06:02 PM

On the clay courses, the Remingtons are better known as Jammingtons. They are great in the hands of a regular shooter who cleans them and does maintenance but they suck for the once or twice a year shooter.

Re: Need semi-auto shotgun info - 01/27/16 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum