Texas Hunting Forum

Thinking About A Muzzle Brake

Posted By: Mickey Moose

Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 02:58 AM

Subject says it all. 300 Win Mag. Barrel is not threaded. I would need a gunsmith to install.

What do I need to consider? I guess I need to know barrel diameter? Do I buy one on my own and provide to whichever gunsmith I choose? Simply contact a gunsmith and have them take care of getting what I want if they don't have it? If buying on my own how do I know which threading to select? I suppose that doesn't matter so long as the gunsmith knows what the threading is (which I'm sure they can easily determine on their own - they don't need me to tell them)?

Now that details are sorted out what is your opinion of best performing (muzzle rise vs recoil management) brands and models? American Precision Arms, Alamo, Holland, JEC, and JP seem to have better performing models.

School me please. I think I'm making this harder than it is.

Thanks - Mickey
Posted By: Dien

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 03:12 AM

Muzzle brake tests

I recommend you get a 5/8-24 threaded if your barrel will support it. Most common one for 308 calibers. Supposedly the bigger the threads the better but then harder to find muzzle different muzzle brakes to try out.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 03:16 AM

Precision Armament makes 2 very good ones for 30cals.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 03:28 AM

I've always used JEC. It scored well on the muzzle brake test.

Put a caliper on the muzzle to see how much meat is available to thread. Buy a brake that will fit, go 5/8" if possible. If you have to buy a 1/2" brake, fine.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 04:49 AM

For me, the biggest thing to consider is hearing protection. Get some. And use it.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: kry226
For me, the biggest thing to consider is hearing protection. Get some. And use it.

True for a rifle without a brake. Might as well have the 40% reduction in recoil to go with it.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 04:59 AM

Harrels brake is pretty alright

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 05:36 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Put a caliper on the muzzle to see how much meat is available to thread. Buy a brake that will fit, go 5/8" if possible. If you have to buy a 1/2" brake, fine.

Measured my barrel at the muzzle a few times. Got slightly different measurements but they were all at least 0.86".
Posted By: kry226

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: kry226

True for a rifle without a brake. Might as well have the 40% reduction in recoil to go with it.

True. I don't disagree with that at all. But you can definitely tell a difference between the two. The brake actually hurts. Bad.

But I haven't fired any gun without hearing protection in many years, even while hunting.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 04:09 PM

Brakes are awful. Brakes under suppressors are amazing. Do yourself a favor and install a brake/can combo.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 04:43 PM

I think brakes are wonderful.
Posted By: Texasteach

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 04:49 PM

Brakes are great for the shooter. No one around you will like them though...lol. Also, don't shoot off the truck...

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasteach
Brakes are great for the shooter. No one around you will like them though...lol. Also, don't shoot off the truck...

Sounds perfect to me. I don't like people, anyway. My truck doesn't mind, though. I just keep all the glass in mind.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 05:42 PM

Stick it out the window and it'll bust your mirror when it fires.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

I have a long barrel and I don't drive around with stinking tow mirrors jutting out 4'. It's not even close to doing that, at least with my setup.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 06:11 PM

Good. Dang mirrors are expensive.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 06:11 PM

I ain't EVER gonna touch off a rifle with a brake inside the cab of a truck or tractor!!!

But a suppressor? You betcha!

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 06:17 PM

Good. Dang mirrors are expensive.

Especially the painted Powerstroke mirrors.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 06:18 PM

I ain't EVER gonna touch off a rifle with a brake inside the cab of a truck or tractor!!!

But a suppressor? You betcha!

Dang it, JG. You stick the barrel outside of the cab. Do we have to teach you how to truck hunt?

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 06:37 PM

Oh I know well. How do you think I kill most coyotes in my A.O. ? Cept there is a suppressor on the muzzle, that is inside the cab. Shot never happened according to the ears of animals or humans. whistle

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 07:08 PM

That's sneaky.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 07:31 PM

Don't underestimate my sneakiness, Sneaky. grin

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 07:54 PM

Well, then, sneak on down to the reloading section and figure out my little conundrum.

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 08:08 PM

So based on muzzle measurement I then have good options for brakes. I can get a 5/8x24, yes? And that is what is recommended?

Thanks everybody for the help, I appreciate it.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 08:23 PM

Cast, sounds like you might know this from experience, story please! cheers

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz

Cast, sounds like you might know this from experience, story please! cheers

Nope, just saw the evidence.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/22/16 10:22 PM

Another option, although not as aesthetically pleasing, is the clamp on brake by Kahntrol. They sent me one, it goes on in minutes and does a very good job in reducing recoil....

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/23/16 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: P_102
Another option, although not as aesthetically pleasing, is the clamp on brake by Kahntrol. They sent me one, it goes on in minutes and does a very good job in reducing recoil....

In terms of design I prefer to have a screw-on and performance is important whereas aesthetics are not.

I appreciate the suggestion.
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Thinking About A Muzzle Brake - 01/23/16 04:36 AM

I have a Witt Machine brake on a Remington 700, 300 UltragMag not sure about thread size he can help in that department, it vents out the sides and on top, no holes on bottom to kick up dust, shot it at the range and people on either side of me said it wasn't that bad at all
It looks bad to the bone also
Wittmachine.com
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum