Texas Hunting Forum

Dumb question ar related

Posted By: jhenderson

Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 08:10 PM

How can I easily tell if my butt stock is commercial it mil spec? Wanting to order a new stock but have no idea what they built this with. It's not a factory built gun so that's not gonna help much.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 08:22 PM

"Commercial-spec buttstock tubes, in which the buttstock goes around to attach to the rifle, have a diameter of 1.168”, while the Mil-spec is slightly smaller and has a diameter of 1.148”. A buttstock designed for one size tube will not work on the other."

Let me Google that for you
Posted By: bside

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jhenderson
How can I easily tell if my butt stock is commercial it mil spec? Wanting to order a new stock but have no idea what they built this with. It's not a factory built gun so that's not gonna help much.

If the shoulder drops prettymuch straight down - milspec
If it rakes significantly toward the pistol grip - commerical
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: bside

Huh? A mil spec tube can be put in place of a commercial tube, and the other way around. The rear of the receiver is the same
Posted By: bside

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Huh? A mil spec tube can be put in place of a commercial tube, and the other way around. The rear of the receiver is the same

??

I'm talking about the actual stock here, not the receiver.

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 10:44 PM

??

I'm talking about the actual stock here, not the receiver.

That has nothing to do with being mil-spec or commercial, it's entirely based upon the size of the buffer tube
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 10:51 PM

This will clear up what you guys are talking about. BSide means the commercial tube itself has a slant in it where the milspec tube does not.

Posted By: chalet

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 11:01 PM

Best way is to measure the diameter, I've had a commercial tube with a flat back on it.

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/21/16 11:07 PM

Thought he was talking about the butt stock hammer
Posted By: GasGuzzler

Re: Dumb question ar related - 01/22/16 12:14 PM

Thought he was talking about the butt stock hammer

eek2
He was until you mentioned the receiver and swapping tubes. He wants to know which stock to get for his current tube. He's not looking to change the stock AND the tube.

KRoyal supplied a great example.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum