Texas Hunting Forum

Quick little project today

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Quick little project today - 01/14/16 06:06 PM

Decided I want to polish my bolt for the new build. Started with 320 grit, went to 400, and finished with 600. Put the bolt in a vice, and used a shoeshine motion with long strips of sand paper.

Took me at most 10 minutes.

My mother etches yeti cups as a little side job. She's going to etch "Come and Take It" on the bolt. I just need to get my action back so we can mark where it goes. I'll post pictures when it's done too.

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 06:07 PM

Ignore the bolt handle. I was going to polish it too, but the metal isn't of great quality. So it will get painted along with the action and barrel.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 06:23 PM

Looks great! Curious as to how it feels when in new action. Or was it just for look?

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Looks great! Curious as to how it feels when in new action. Or was it just for look?

I just did it for looks, but its possible its smoother too. The surface is definitely more slick.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 06:30 PM

If you want it to run smoother, polish the bolt lugs until they look like chrome.

I use a cotton buffing wheel, compound, and a bench grinder.

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
If you want it to run smoother, polish the bolt lugs until they look like chrome.

I use a cotton buffing wheel, compound, and a bench grinder.

That's what I figured. And I might so that too. It already runs pretty smooth though. And I think the oversized bolt knob will help too. I just put that on a few days ago.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 08:45 PM

Looks good!

I've had the bigger bolt knob make a difference like night and day on some guns.

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
Looks good!

I've had the bigger bolt knob make a difference like night and day on some guns.

Thanks. The nice thing about this one is, its removable. Kinetic Research Group Bolt Lift. So if I don't like it(and I already do) I can just remove the Allen screw holding it on.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Quick little project today - 01/14/16 09:12 PM

Polish not only the lugs but the rails they ride on if you are really looking for a smoother action.

Re: Quick little project today - 01/20/16 02:24 AM

Got my bolt back from being etched today.

I like it. Adds a little something.

By the way, we can do this pretty cheaply with alot of different designs. If you're interested, shoot me a PM. It doesn't have to be text, it can be small simple images/patterns too
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum