Texas Hunting Forum

Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm

Posted By: LFD2037

Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 07:51 AM

With any of my Glocks (G27-.40, G23-.40, G42-.380 models) I shoot a tight bulls-eye group from ~21ft. With my 1911 (.45) I shoot tight groups but all are low & left (kinda stringing but not too/very bad). Now, that means I'm either
a) tightening my grip while firing
or
b) jerking the trigger
I spent quite a time (a couple hours slowly using ~100 rounds) focusing specifically on my grip & trigger pull. I'm 98% sure I'm doing everything correct but still low & left. With zero concentration I can go to my Glock (.40) & shoot lights out bulls-eye. I've shot Glocks more than any other pistol by a far margin, though I've shot many pistols successfully/accurately. Help me NOT sell my 1911.
What's wrong with me?????
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 11:33 AM

trigger and sights, have both checked by a very talented smithy. when trouble shooting always do one thing at a time. Have your sights checked first using a bench rest clamp to eliminate human error. Have it checked on a ransom rest. then have some trigger work done. That's what I've done with all mine and 3 shot groups @ 50ft are inside 1".
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 12:33 PM

You can't expect fixed sights to be aligned with POI. You might get it sometimes, but different ammo can and will have a different point of impact.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 03:41 PM

Of the 2 Glocks I've owned, I've had the same problem you are having with the 1911. I had the rear sight pushed just a little and I'm now shooting the bullseye from 25yds and in. My Sig was always spot on as was my 1911. But my Ruger 22 pistol is low and left.

2 things that come to mind for me are:
1) I don't like square grips (Glock)
2) Some pistols need adjustments

I have not let anybody else shoot my pistols to see if they duplicate what I was shooting or if they shoot somewhere else on the target. Take a friend with you next time, one that you know can shoot good
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 03:44 PM

It sounds like your glock sights are in the perfect spot for you, and the 1911 sights may need a slight adjustment. If the groups are about the same size, just in slightly different spots, then its not a gun issue, its a sight issue.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 03:46 PM

First, you need to make sure your sights are zero'd on your target. I normally have to adjust mine to get them dead on.

Second, if the gun is on, and you are hitting low or low left (for a righty), that's 99% going to be target anticipation, i.e. jerking the trigger. I sometimes have that issue, also. I help cure it by dry firing the snot out of my pistol. I'm not the best pistol shooter, but I try to make up for it with a slower trigger pull. Try to prep the trigger. Meaning, if you have a 4 lb trigger, take up 3.5 lbs while get on target. Once your sights are perfect, finish the last .5 lb smoothly. This will help.

Also, I used to have a Kimber 1911, along with all my Glocks. I got to where I could not shoot either very well due to grip angle and trigger differences, so I sold the 1911 and now am all Glocks.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 03:48 PM

I am the opposite. I can shoot my 1911s really well, but when I pick up a striker fire pistol, I generally shoot low and left and the groups are much larger.

The sights may or may not be the culprit. Different grip angles and the way you pull the trigger on the differing styles of pistol can really throw you off as well.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight
I am the opposite. I can shoot my 1911s really well, but when I pick up a striker fire pistol, I generally shoot low and left and the groups are much larger.

The sights may or may not be the culprit. Different grip angles and the way you pull the trigger on the differing styles of pistol can really throw you off as well.

That's true, but if his group is always the same size, and low left, even if it's from jerking the trigger, he could compensate for it by adjusting the sights. But that's assuming poi is the same 100% of the time.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:08 PM

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIeroZIA1OXFCm0Rs9CliVjLPXiPAsPxf5ruvPHVXwMYHnyTjQ[/img]
Posted By: Dien

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:09 PM

On my 2011, different ammo hits at different spots. Just like rifles.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:10 PM

I never van post images correctly from my phone!
mad

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I never van post images correctly from my phone!
mad

Photobucket app. Takes about 10 seconds to upload a picture, and it works every single time.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:15 PM

I use it at home with my PC, but I prefer to just use links. That works better from my PC also. I don't get the same choices and flexibility using the phone.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:25 PM

You get all the same choices with the photobucket app as the website. Not sure what you mean.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:31 PM

I mean I don't want the app on my phone.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:49 PM

Here you go RR

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 04:55 PM

Chad, try this little trick on your dryfire trigger control. Put a coin penny, nickel... sitting on top of the pistol slide and practice until you can keep that coin in place on ever trigger squeeze. Have seen that little trick work with quite a few shooters.

A Laser sight with someone watching or film it if you do not want to be seen is a good visual aid to figure out where you are hitting. Even the laser bore sighters work for this. Using one aim at the target, squeeze the trigger, if the laser moves off the target work on trigger control until it stays in place.

Have done both of those with some new shooters, some of them outshoot me now. which really isn't that difficult hammer
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 05:16 PM

I just got my first Glock on Sunday, a G43. I am a 1911 guy, have 4, CC a Kimber covert pro. I had a lot of trouble at first with the Glock trigger, I was all over the place. I kept trying to squeeze slower and steadier. I found that if I squeezed straight back, but with a bit more speed than I used on the Kimber I was dead on. Different animals I suppose. But this is just my experience
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 07:17 PM

Imagine your Glock is a staple-gun
It isn't hard to do
Pull back straight and quickly
to make trigger work for you

deer
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
It isn't hard to do

deer

That's actually a good analogy in my experience. up
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: charlesb
It isn't hard to do

deer

Exactly! Mine too
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 08:47 PM

Did you learn how to shoot with a glock?

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 08:52 PM

One of the more notable people I know in the shooting world is Mike Plaxco. He told me to always try to pull the trigger straight back toward the aiming eye.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/14/16 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Scary Poppins
Did you learn how to shoot with a glock?

No. I learned to shoot w/a ton of different guns, a little w/all. I am most comfortable w/a Glock but like the thumb & grip safeties on a 1911. Might look into the new'ish SA Mod 2. It's more like a Glock but w/thumb & grip safeties.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 12:30 AM

isn't 21 feet.........7 yards????/
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 01:31 AM

Tell us more about your 1911; brand, trigger work, grips etc.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 02:11 AM

Yes, but rethinking it was probably 10yds (30'). Shooting cans w/the G23 @ 50yds wasn't too difficult but kinda pointless.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 02:54 AM

Watch your trigger press. Since a Glock has a longer, more sweeping trigger travel, it could be that you are pressing the trigger in the same manner on your 1911.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Gravytrain
Tell us more about your 1911; brand, trigger work, grips etc.

It is a Citadel compact (3.5" bbl) that's completely stock except for Hogue rubber grip.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 03:34 PM

Learning to pre stage that mushy
GLock trigger helps a ton..
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 04:14 PM

Sounds like you just need to adjust your sights. I believe we all have tendencies, mine is just a little left and a little low. You can work on the causes, trigger pull, wrist movement, etc or you can adjust the sights to compensate for your tendencies. If you are a competitive shooter or want to be, then work on the issues but if you are practicing for self protection etc then I'd recommend you adjust sights to compensate for your tendencies. The reason I'd recommend the second option is because under pressure your tendencies will come back.

As for Glock vs 1911, if it's one of my Kimber's, I choose my Kimber's. The trigger pull on my Kimber's are just better, by a wide wide margin! Therefore I'm much more accurate with them.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 04:17 PM

poor fella with little trigger fingers gona get his feelins hurt

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Here you go RR

Posted By: MarkieMark

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 04:24 PM

In my experience some pistols just don't shoot straight. Either adjust the sights or sell it.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 05:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkieMark
In my experience some pistols just don't shoot straight. Either adjust the sights or sell it.

I tried adjusting the rear sight to the right but it wouldn't budge. What's the secret to moving a rear sight on a 1911?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: LFD2037
Originally Posted By: MarkieMark

I tried adjusting the rear sight to the right but it wouldn't budge. What's the secret to moving a rear sight on a 1911?

Is it peened or welded?

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/15/16 10:22 PM

No it's not. It has a 'locking' Allen screw. I removed it before trying but I couldn't get it to budge.
Posted By: toolman

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/16/16 05:17 AM

Most 1911 sights fit very tight in the dovetails and some of them are Loctited in place. (heat may help) The best way to move them without a pusher is to clamp the slide tight in a vise (use tape or soft vise jaws) and use a piece of aluminum rod or square stock with Gorilla tape over the end(to keep the aluminum from marking the sight or slide) as a punch and use a 8-12 oz. hammer to drift it in the dovetail. If the punch tears through the tape and leaves a mark, just use a Birchwood Casey bluing pen to wipe it off, just remember to oil the area afterwards to prevent rust. This is the method I use in the shop and some days I'll do 5-6 sets of sights.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/16/16 07:09 PM

Looking at the sights, it appears the front is pushed to the right. That'd make it shoot left, correct?

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/16/16 07:14 PM

Correct, If moving the front site, move in the direction you are hitting.

In archery we use the saying follow the arrow, for the front sight to correct sight alignment. In archery you are moving the front sight.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/16/16 11:32 PM

Those doevetail 1911 sights can get a little crooked and jam up pretty tight. Sometimes tapping one end then the next can let you walk it back straight where you can adjust it correctly.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/17/16 02:14 AM

SIMPLE: Sell you pistol to a buddy and buy a 1911 with adjustable sights and have a good smith do a trigger job on it!!!

BOOOOOM

PROBLEM SOLVED

rock_on

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/17/16 02:15 AM

Or buy my STI in the Classifieds

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/17/16 04:34 AM

Meh. @ this point all 1911's are the same to me. (NO NEED FOR PEOPLE TO COMMENT ON THAT COMMENT. It's just how I feel & no matter what you say isn't going to change that!) Getting a brass punch & soft vice clamps tomorrow & putting the front sight where it should be.

Re: Glock vs. 1911 Accuracy........Hmmmmmmm - 01/17/16 04:37 AM

And if I sold it, it'd be for a SA Mod 2 .40 in FDE.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum