Texas Hunting Forum

Floppy Stock

Posted By: scottfromdallas

Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 02:42 AM

I have a Lightweight Savage that shoots great from the bench. It weighs in at 6 3/4 lbs with scope. The stock is a cheap flimsy injected molded stock. Am I going to have problems shooting from sticks? I know better than to attach a bipod but I'm thinking sticks won't cause a problem. Will my floppy stock cause issues? Anyone else have issues performing with their floppy stocks? I want to be able to perform when the time is right.

I had no problems using sticks with my rock hard McMillan.

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 02:58 AM

Only way to know for sure is to try.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 03:08 AM

If you're shooting off bags at the range, I would expect to get the same POI off sticks if you put the sticks in the same spot as the bags, or perhaps even closer to the action.

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
If you're shooting off bags at the range, I would expect to get the same POI off sticks if you put the sticks in the same spot as the bags, or perhaps even closer to the action.

That is what I was thinking. The sticks aren't attached so they shouldn't interfere when the stock flexes. There is generous gap around the barrel. The stock seems to be designed for a standard barrel profile vs a lightweight.

I was more wondering if anyone had issues shooting from sticks with cheap injection molded stocks that come on most rifles.
Posted By: chemdawg

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 06:08 AM

what model do you have i have an axes and i have a by pod on it and it works windily and well as shooing or of the rest of the guy

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 12:09 PM

I have the new Stainless Savage 16 Lightweight.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 12:32 PM

)
Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
Will my floppy stock cause issues? Anyone else have issues performing with their floppy stocks? I want to be able to perform when the time is right.

I could swear I've seen ads on television offering remedies for such, uhhh...problems.
nuts
Posted By: headhunter54

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 12:34 PM

I have taken the Tupperware stocks and cut channels in the bottom and glassed in 1/4" steel rods to strengthen the stock. Google it and find some good how to articles.
Will make it stiff for less than $10
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 01:23 PM

Support the rifle just ahead of the action and it will be fine.

There is a good chance you can use a bipod. You will need to load the bipod and have someone watch the forearm. Many times, with cheap stocks, I've loaded the bipod so much that the stock flexes AWAY from the barrel. Try it and see what yours does.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/12/16 02:19 PM

As long as the barrel has plenty of free float, I would test it and see. I have seen quite a few flimsy stocks shoot correct POI as long as you pay attention to what you are doing. Making sure it is bedded good should help with that as well to minimize any flex in the action area.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/13/16 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
)
Will my floppy stock cause issues? Anyone else have issues performing with their floppy stocks? I want to be able to perform when the time is right.

I could swear I've seen ads on television offering remedies for such, uhhh...problems.
nuts

I was not thinking this....nope....not me. Catchy title though. lol35

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/13/16 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
)

nuts

I was not thinking this....nope....not me. Catchy title though. lol35

You get my humor. Thanks everyone for the responses. I guess I really need to try it although I'm probably overthinking it.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/13/16 12:06 PM

Many years ago I WS involved with radio controlled airplanes and helped build a few. We used strips of carbon fiber material to reinforce and stiffen wings and such. The strips were simply glued to flat surfaces wherever we thought they would help. I never thought of using these to stiffen a stock and I'm not sure they would help at all in the barrel channel, but I suppose there are possibilities.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/13/16 12:54 PM

Many years ago I WS involved with radio controlled airplanes and helped build a few. We used strips of carbon fiber material to reinforce and stiffen wings and such. The strips were simply glued to flat surfaces wherever we thought they would help. I never thought of using these to stiffen a stock and I'm not sure they would help at all in the barrel channel, but I suppose there are possibilities.

The issue seems to be that they flex from the action area. You can add a bunch of stuff to the foregrip area, and its unlikely to help much.

Atleast that's how my Savage stock was. I did a bunch of mods to it, and still ended up replacing it.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Floppy Stock - 01/13/16 04:51 PM

x2 for HeadHunter. I had to do this to my favorite Rem 700. The stock had a natural bend to the right. So the forearm was touching on the right side. Routed out a 3/4 inch channel down the forearm under the barrel. Glassed in a 1/2 x 1/2 aluminum bar. Then flooted out the stock back to the action. no more problems
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum