Texas Hunting Forum

Kimber mountain accent

Posted By: Erny

Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 03:17 AM

I was looking at one in cabelas and kinda like the rifle. Thinking of getting it in a 7 mag. It's pricey but seems perfect for rough country hunting. Anyone have any experience with Kimber rifles?
Posted By: 280AI

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 03:20 AM

Hold on!
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 03:37 AM

I have one. Kimber Classic 257R. Beautiful rifle, shot 6 inch groups at 100 yards first trip to the range. Called Kimber and had some choice words. Packed it up and sent it back. The only rifle I ever had to send back. The sent it back in 2 weeks with a new barrel and a test target. Next trip to the range was easy to get MOA or better if I did my part. It's one of my favorite rifles. I would never buy a used Kimber unless I knew the previous owner because a lot of people in similar circumstances just dumped them to another person. If you buy one, buy new or from someone you trust.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 03:47 AM

I haven't shot a Kimber that would not meet the SubMOA guarantee but haven't shot that many, and keep hearing those stories. If I were to ever buy a used one I would want to meet at a gun range and shoot it first.

Those little rifles sure are lite weight and feel good in the hands but suspect recoil will be noticeable.

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 02:31 PM

The reason it appeals so much to me is the light weight. Plan on using it for mountain hunting.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 03:02 PM

I have completed load work ups on several Kimber rifles. One shot very well. I had an 84 or 8400 and the tactical 300 Win Mag rifle that didn't shot well at all. The 84 or 8400 was all over the place. We chased our tail on multiple bullets, checking and changing out rings and bases, checking free float, all the tricks to no avail. The tactical model shot a little over moa with the best loads trying some bullets and various loads that work very well other 300 WM rifles. I played with it more, but moa was it. I'm a big fan of the Kimber rifles. But the accuracy issues I have seen leaves me wary on them. I almost bought the Kimber tactical model in 300 WM, but for the price and accuracy draw backs, I didn't buy it. Not sure why they are so hit and miss.

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 03:12 PM

I had no idea Kimber had these problems. Thanks for the heads up guys. If I am going to drop 1,600 on a rifle I kind expect it to be accurate. I think I will keep looking.
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 03:14 PM

They don't call it Kimber roulette for nothing.....
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 04:11 PM

For 1600-2000 you could probably put together a semi custom rifle that will be light, and handy, and shoot lights out.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
For 1600-2000 you could probably put together a semi custom rifle that will be light, and handy, and shoot lights out.

Yes, a Tikka build with a custom barrel on it. I'll guarantee it to shoot 1/2 moa or less!
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 04:23 PM

I called Kimber again this year like I do every year to inquire about any left hand models they may be thinking about. Once again the answer was none in the plan. I'll get by without one.
Posted By: turbotj

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/07/16 04:46 PM

Check out the Sako Finnlight if your looking for a nice compact mountain rifle. Nice easily adjustable trigger, SS, decent stock, other than the odd dovetail scope mounting system they are great little rifles and accuracy roulette won't be an issue!
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/08/16 04:49 AM

I've had a few. Kimber 84m .223 and one of the 84l in .25-06 that had to take a trip back to kimber. They replaced barrel and stock, but they came back shooting great. I also had two 84m .308 that shot very good. The only one I will kept is a cut down 18" barreled .243 84m. It's threaded and I run a titanium suppressor on it. I don't think that rifle has ever shot a group larger then 1" using factory fusion ammo in it. I've had it several years. I did have karnis bed it and slap a little paint on the stock. Gave it to my wife after that. Makes for a nice light trim low recoil rifle.

Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/08/16 05:12 AM

Have a Mountain Ascent in 280 Ackley Improved and I LOVE IT!!!

Shoots 1/2" or less groups and has done a fabulous job taking mule deer, hogs, yotes. And at just over 5 lbs with scope I hardly notice it when I'm in the field on long walks. The muzzle brake and soft recoil pad make it kick like a 243. I couldn't ask for anything better!!
Posted By: bobsumner

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/08/16 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: okierifleman

So true... I know some people will disagree, I have seen the same from the handgun line.
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/08/16 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: bobsumner
Originally Posted By: okierifleman

So true... I know some people will disagree, I have seen the same from the handgun line.

Agreed!.... Just like anything else, people mistakenly associate high price with high quality.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/08/16 02:20 PM

For that money fin light or semi custom

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/10/16 05:39 AM

So I was at DSC today and spoke with Kimber rep. They guarantee sub moa on new Kimber.
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/10/16 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Erny
So I was at DSC today and spoke with Kimber rep. They guarantee sub moa on new Kimber.

Yes they do. I'm not a "Kimber Guy" only own this one but plan on purchasing another mountain ascent for the wife in 270 because of the performance of this first one. I looked at custom guns and for the money I couldn't get one built with all the features the mountain ascent has.

As stated before couldn't be happier with this gun.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Kimber mountain accent - 01/10/16 02:23 PM

If you buy one or any other ultralight, just realize it may take you a little time to shoot it well from the bench. It's harder to get a light rifle to settle in on the bench because of it's weight. You also have to wait much longer between shots because the barrel heats up very fast. I suspect some of the complaints on Kimber accuracy are from people that aren't used to shooting ultralight rifles with pencil barrels.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum