Texas Hunting Forum

Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it?

Posted By: Bbear

Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/06/16 09:30 PM

As the title says, is the upgrade to the better grain wood worth it? Anybody have pictures of one? I'd like to see what they think 'upgraded wood' is.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/06/16 09:37 PM

depends on what you are looking for, looks? durable? more weight?

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/06/16 09:46 PM

Thinking of their prairie hunter style. But I like nice looking wood on a rifle. Just wondered for the 'upgrade' to their XX level, what they looked like. The picture they show of ONE isn't good enough to tempt me. Just was wondering if anyone had bought the XX level and what they looked like.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/06/16 10:40 PM

I agree, if you want to spend some bucks, you can find a nice hunk o wood for your m70 already with the proper inlet just some minor fitting and bedding.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/06/16 11:00 PM

If it is a model 70 CDNN had factory super grade stocks in their last ad for around $250.

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 02:24 AM

It's a Model 70 Black Shadow from the early 2000's. Wondering if all I'd need to do to make the Super Grade Featherweight stock is sand out the barrel channel? Could that leave the forend too flimsy?
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 02:33 AM

Yes some of the wood boyds puts out is awesome. I don't personally have one but have seen several really nice stocks
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 02:46 AM

I always wanted a maple stocked rifle so I ordered a Boyds for my 6.8 Ranch. I love the proportions. I had a custom LOP down to 13" to keep it the same dimensions as the original. This is the lesser Maple.

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 03:37 AM

That's a very unique look to that ranch rifle! I like that!
Posted By: booradley

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 03:53 AM

Most of my rifles have wood stocks. I do have a Remington 700 ADL .270 with a cheesy synthetic stock. I've almost pulled the trigger on a Boyd's wood stock a couple of times. The reason I haven't is the rifle shoots sub-moa with factory ammo. I'm afraid if I get another stock it will take a bit of work to get it shooting as accurately as before.

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 03:54 AM

Now if I can just get it to shoot. smile
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 01:10 PM

The maple looks good with the stainless.

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 01:20 PM

I will add that Boyds service was very impressive. I ordered a custom stock on their website and it was at my door in 5 business days.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/07/16 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I always wanted a maple stocked rifle so I ordered a Boyds for my 6.8 Ranch. I love the proportions. I had a custom LOP down to 13" to keep it the same dimensions as the original. This is the lesser Maple.

Very nice. I'd bet somebody makes the barrel cover (I don't remember what they call it) in stainless too. That would really make it the prettiest mini I've ever seen.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Boyd's Stocks - wood stocks - upgraded wood worth it? - 01/08/16 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I will add that Boyds service was very impressive. I ordered a custom stock on their website and it was at my door in 5 business days.

I've had good luck with them, too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum